Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Velocity P35 rims plus Revolution spokes — thoughts please
  • jameso

The Ti’s Tai too?

cynic-al
    Free Member

jameso you said

You’re probably adding a little to something that isn’t responsible for the majority of the wheel’s stiffness.

which is what I was taking issue with.

I didn’t really see your point about wider hubs, they do for sure make stiffer wheels (I’m not convinced regular wheels aren’t stiff enough) but without new standards, discs and freehubs define the flange width.

aracer
    Free Member

what’s the loP?

http://bit.ly/ynu2CX

I’d say as long as the spoke can hold the tension you need any stiffness gained from the thicker spoke is simply by adding more material. Not the most effective way to increase stiffness compared to looking a the stucture. You’re probably adding a little to something that isn’t responsible for the majority of the wheel’s stiffness.
    So the structure (rim and hub dimension) would make a greater differance then spoke guage in reality, especially if you consider stiffness-to-weight.

The effectiveness of gaining stiffness by adding material to the spokes depends on what contribution the spokes make to the stiffness compared to their mass. I get your point about hub dimensions – though as cynic-al points out, there’s not a lot you can do with that inside existing standards. The rim dimensions make no difference at all to the triangulation of the spokes – they might make a rim on its own stiff, but a wheel is a lot stiffer than a rim on its own. I’d argue that in terms of stiffness to weight, the spoke gauge actually makes a lot of difference. I can even do some numbers for you: a wheel of PG spokes is 222g, a wheel of revs is 141.5g http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/Spokes.aspx – for your 80g extra weight you get 11% more wheel stiffness http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/index.htm#7

nathaneddy
    Free Member

That sheldon brown link is really helpful aracer.
    For this build I’d choose that amount of stiffness over the weight loss.
    I’m no mathematician but I do want my wheels as stiff as possible — with a rigid ride, as I understand it, a 135 mm hub makes a big, big difference. Not that I know from experience, though (yet).
    So Jeff said the new Tai frames were better made than his own, right? Not sure how.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

JRA just called to say the rims came in; and the spoke decision is Revs.
    Why? Not because of stiffness etc but because Super Comps only come in black.
    Yep. I’ll make sure I specify that in the thread next time. . .
    seriously they said they’ll be good.
    🙂

aracer
    Free Member

the spoke decision is Revs.
    Why? Not because of stiffness etc but because Super Comps only come in black.

Comps then – they come in silver – as I suggested earlier. Save money, have stiffer wheels.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

actually gave comps more of a look than I would have done yesterday, but revs it is.
    thanks for the comments.

jameso

11pc stiffness gain ain’t much, but its a gain, granted. The rinard link suggests it’s a deflection diff of a fraction of a mm. 80g ain’t much either. Nathans right, color or builder advice is more of a decider ) or cost.

Edit Al I prob don’t express my thinking very clearly in writing, I’m not confident I’m right either, if I could figure out what diff flange dimensions made we could compare it to spokes but I wouldn’t do it just to score points, simply a point that got me thinking. If you get an answer anywhere I’m interested tho.

cynic-al
    Free Member

80gm is say 7% so 11% gain in stiffness seems good to me.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Velocity P35 rims plus Revolution spokes — thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.