Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The wellbeing of my Car Tyres
  • SaxonRider

I prefer to keep two sets of wheels – one for summer and one for winter – so that I can have both types of tyres for my cars. I am wondering, though: if was unable to afford a set of steel wheels for the winter tyres and so just planned on switching back and forth between them on the one set of wheels, would it significantly decrease the life of the tyres?

EDIT: stupid original topic name

andyl
    Free Member

it’s not ideal swapping them on and off and it’s expensive – at least £10 each wheel each time so one year would be at least £80. Surely you can pick up a set of ugly alloys from ebay? What is the car and wheel size?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Steel wheels are not that expensive second hand are that? A few quid each from a breakers I’d have thought.

andyl
    Free Member

the problem with steelies is getting the right fitment is harder. Alloys are easier to identify.

luke
    Free Member

Would it decrease the life? Well it depends on the competency of the fitter and how you store them.

andyl
    Free Member

Removing a tyre can be quite aggressive so I would try to limit how often the tyre is subjected to it.

I would imagine that a build up of the sealant gunk is not cleaned off each time would be far from ideal too and could result in bead leaks.

Unless you have very hard to come by wheels then I wouldn’t bother and would just get some spare wheels.

bails

I got steel wheels for my car (16 inch, same size as my alloys as I used the winter tyres on the alloys one winter, then had them swapped over) for £15 each from a scrapyard.

After one year the steels have paid for themselves in saved fitting fees.

Marge
    Free Member

It is fine to do, just more expensive long term…
    There is always a risk from heavy handed fitters but perhaps if you always use the same dealer this risk is limited.
    Store them in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.

Btw: The ‘sealant’ mentioned above is only vegetable based mounting lube. It has no sealing properties.

molgrips
    Free Member

Steel wheels are not that expensive second hand are that?

Everyone keeps saying that, but I’ve no idea where on earth they are going because I can’t find any.

globalti
    Free Member

Local scrapyards are OK but there’s a high possibility the wheels will be damaged and out of true if they come off a crashed car. I got 4 from a scrappie and had to take 2 back for this reason, then I got 2 brand new from Ebay.

daveh
    Free Member

New steel wheel plus tyre combo from mytyres are no/not much dearer than tyre only from a UK supplier.

molgrips
    Free Member

I already have tyres though 🙁

phead
    Free Member

Everyone in other countries does it twice a year, so it cannot be too bad.

When the season changes you see all the steel wheels around, as they don’t want to pay a premium to switch the tyres straight away, after a few weeks they are all back on alloys.

maccruiskeen

Everyone keeps saying that, but I’ve no idea where on earth they are going because I can’t find any.

It less and less the case that a given make and model of a car will have steel wheels when they leave the factory. Alloys aren’t a luxury upgrade anymore they’re pretty much the default with newer models so you’re more likely to be looking for unfashionable alloys left spare when people pimp their rides. Theres probably precious little pimping going on amongst the Prius massive though

I already have tyres though

Just stick the winters on and leave them on and get rid of the summer ones. Unless you’re milage is especially high or you have particularly pimpy pricy tyres the cost of swapping them on and off each year isn’t worth it – I can buy two tyres for my motor for the price of two sets of tyre swaps, leaving winter tyres on all year they last me about 3 years.

Northwind

This is the worst time of year to be buying second sets of wheels unfortunately. Don’t fixate on steels, though, I ended up getting a set of used fugly alloys for mine for less than used steels usually cost. Bizarrely wheels are often cheaper when they have tyres fitted, too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It less and less the case that a given make and model of a car will have steel wheels when they leave the factory.

My parents just got a new Focus, they’re very cleverly hidden, but theres 5-spoke steel wheels under the plastic trim, steel wheels are just less obvious now than previously.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The wellbeing of my Car Tyres’ is closed to new replies.