Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Vehicle Tracking devices
  • smg13
    Free Member

Any tales stories experiences of having these devices fitted to works vehicles by your bosses also legal stand on using info gathered for dismissals

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A couple of guys were driving round Northumberland not long after the guy went mad with a gun poking a rifle out of the window, my dad spotted them and called the cops – lots of panic going on. Thankfully they had a tracker fitted to their works truck and the police caught up with them. Turned out to be an air rifle but not the point. Think they were fired to not being where they should be among other things.

What would you be using the works vehicle for that is outside the works use policy?

smg13
    Free Member

I wouldn’t, but they claim to be able to gather all sorts of info other than location e.g.driving style acceleration, how long vehicle is idling, cornering speed amongst obviously speeding
    What I’m asking for is people’s experiences as there is not much info being given by our boss of how they’re going to use the info. I’m not asking how to get around it

revs1972
    Free Member

Like everything else, cctv etc, if you are not doing anything wrong then you shouldn’t have an issue IMO.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’ve fitted them to our fleet of vehicles along with several major items of plant. We don’t really use them to keep tabs on staff, they’re fitted more from a security/deterrent perspective.

We only scratch the surface with the available info they give, as you mention speed, location, journeys made etc. We don’t pay staff using the tracker data but if we suspect they are taking the proverbial we will cross check the tracker data against time sheets.

Our units have an internal backup battery which will last for approximately seven days if the vehicle battery etc is disconnected. I will also receive an email if the battery/gps aerial is disconnected which will give vehicle details/location etc, any plant that is towed away out of hours will also send me an instant email to say it has been towed away.

I also have an app on my phone which give real time mapping/speed/journeys made etc. Really clever stuff which can help save money along with assisting servicing schedules etc.

smg13
    Free Member

Hallelujah
    Thanks blueassdfly that’s all I was asking for I have as said nothing to hide just interested as to how they work and what they log

tazzymtb

First off, all vehicle drivers must be informed that they have trackers fitted, second if the vehicles are also for personal use it is best practice to ensure there is a privacy button, if the company doesnt fit privacy buttons to vehicles that can be used for personal mileage (company car etc.. ) they must demonstrate how they are complying with the data protection act, lastly they must be honest in the use, previous company I worked for fitted them “for insurance purposes only” then spent the next 6 months scrutinising everyones times sheets and deducting any stray minutes from wages that didnt exactly match. Managed well trsckers can be good, in the hands of b*stards it can be a massive bone of contention.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Vehicle Tracking devices’ is closed to new replies.