Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Vegetarians.
  • RustySpanner

Quite an interesting article in the Spring issue of Cycle Active about touring in France.
    Nothing too in depth but interesting none the less.

I’m veggie curious myself and would appreciate any links or advice re cycling meat free.

Thanks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m veggie curious

😀

bencooper
    Free Member

Wow, you make it sound like some bizarre alternative lifestyle 😉

What is there to know? Will you lack energy? No. Will you fart a lot? No. Just as for meat-eaters, the important bit is to eat a balanced diet.

It’s not a big deal at all…

AlexSimon

Interesting that an article about France peaked your interest in vegetarian food! The two don’t go together particularly well in my experience. (although there are some great exceptions).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Tommy Goodwin was a veggie and look what that weakling managed

In 1939, Godwin entered the Golden Book of Cycling as the greatest long-distance rider in the world.[1] He rode 75,065 mi (120,805 km) in a year, averaging over 200 miles (320 km) per day.

It wont make any difference one way or the other IMHO
    as for advice stop eating meat carry on cycling

RustySpanner

Ben, I lack energy and fart a lot anyway. 😀

Have relatives who are a bit hardcore (work for the Vegetarian Society), but am just after a bit of perspective from those who’ve made the change.

PS. Ta Junky.
    Just found your last mail in the spam at the weekend, will get back to you later!

bencooper
    Free Member

I live with a vegan – I haven’t gone that far, but really don’t feel any inclination to eat meat any more either.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

JY’s proper militant veggie. Gives me evilz for wearing leather. Typical really. Good luck with France. I think “veggie-curious” is a good option there. Like bi-curious at my sexy parties – might be an effort, but you don’t have to.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good luck with France. I think “veggie-curious” is a good option there

I disagree. Not the place to try being a vegetablist!

“Zee ‘am? Eet eeez not zee proper meat! You like!” 😉

🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

made the change …thats sounds so dramatic 😉

I dont think you will notice

Gives me evilz for wearing leather.

they were not evils 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Been veggie for 19 years.

France can be a bit of a pig (pun intended) as they’ll try and feed you chicken. However, assuming you’re not too fussy/militant as to how your food is prepared, then you’ll be fine. It’s even easier if you eat fish.

At a base level, my personal beef (pun also intended) is with mass-producers of unethically treated meat, so by not buying it I feel I’m doing a little bit in a bigger issue.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just found your last mail in the spam at the weekend

Email filter working well.

At a base level, my personal beef (pun also intended) is with mass-producers of unethically treated meat, so by not buying it I feel I’m doing a little bit in a bigger issue.

Would you eat ethically sourced meat then?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Pete, if it’s France in particular you’re interested in/concerned about, one of my mates is French and has been vegan for about 8 years (and he lives in rural France, not a major city so if it’s possible there then it’s possible anywhere in the country regardless of CFH’s silliness!)
    I could put you in touch with him if you need any advice about avoiding meat/animal products whilst in his country?

avdave2

Tommy Goodwin[b]Adolph Hitler[/b] was a veggie and look what that weakling managed

In 1939, Godwin[b]Hitler[/b] entered the Golden Book of Cycling[b]Poland[/b] as the greatest long-distance rider[b]tyrant[/b] in the world

It is unlikely to turn you into a either a world beater or destroyer. It doesn’t seem to have done either to me in 29 years so you’ll probably be just fine if you give it a go. And it’s not a cult we won’t hunt you down if you try it but decide it’s not for you. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On a serious note, mrs deadly only eats a bit of fish and we never struggle. I am speakingz ze lingoz though, which helps.

EDIT: as well as all things veggie before some wag gets in.

The-Beard

I’ve always found France to be either brilliant or laughably poor at catering for us vegetarians. Once in SW France we told the restaurant owner we were veggie and he disappeared off to the kitchen and came back with an excellent meal he’d devised on the spot using fresh local produce. Another restaurant owner told me I was ‘fussy, like a child’ and refused to serve me!

As for affecting me riding my bike, it hasn’t at all. In fact I’m more leaning towards a vegan/whole foods diet these days and I’m trying to limit cheese and other dairy products. I don’t touch fake meat such as quorn or any of the ready meals you can get either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I am speakingz ze lingoz though, which helps.

One of my French teachers in the dim and distant past was a very, very inebriated Irishman*. His French accent was pure comedy gold!

*Not saying you’re (always) inebriated DD. Or that Irish people are either. Obviously. 😉

RustySpanner

AlexSimon – Member

Interesting that an article about France peaked your interest in vegetarian food! The two don’t go together particularly well in my experience. (although there are some great exceptions).

That was what made the article so interesting. We might be touring Ireland this year – I can see that being even worse 🙂

Junkyard – lazarus

made the change …thats sounds so dramatic
    Mate, it IS quite a change.
    Brother in law & sister in law both work for the Veg Soc.
    But they’ve been at it so long and have such entrenched views that I might as well try and discuss the relative merits of Fender versus Gibson with our cat.

molgrips – Member
    Email filter working well.

Genuinely one of your best efforts. 🙂

deadlydarcy – Member

JY’s proper militant veggie. Gives me evilz for wearing leather. Typical really. Good luck with France. I think “veggie-curious” is a good option there. Like bi-curious at my sexy parties – might be an effort, but you don’t have to.
    😀

xherbivorex, cheers mate – will meet up for a beer next time we’re up for a Philips Park ride?
    Drop us a line if you fancy a spin round Burnley – you’re more than welcome.
    Have been working last two Mondays but will try and make it out ASAP.

“Zee ‘am? Eet eeez not zee proper meat! You like!”

But it’s only wafer thin!

kayak23

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    France can be a bit of a pig (pun intended) as they’ll try and feed you chicken.

Because they are often confused about what Vegetarians actually eat, because of statements such as…

It’s even easier if you eat fish.

I can’t understand why this keeps coming up but, VEGETARIANS BY DEFINITION DO NOT EAT FISH….
    To say ‘I’m Vegetarian but I eat fish’ makes it more difficult for actual vegetarians who are trying not to fall foul of any confusion folks might have.

Anyway, yeah France is not one of the easy options for veggie food.
    In my experience, someone who becomes vegetarian has to become more educated about food, nutrition and food-production etc, and as a result of this, (generally speaking of course) your average vegetarian will tend to eat a much more balanced and healthy diet than someone who just puts anything in their mouth.
    There are of course exceptions to this but yeah, you’ll have no trouble being a veggie athlete.

RustySpanner

Cheers.

Athlete?
    You’ve not met me, have you? 😀

Cougar

To say ‘I’m Vegetarian but I eat fish’ makes it more difficult for actual vegetarians who are trying not to fall foul of any confusion folks might have.

Thank you.

One thing I like about this forum is I’m slowly finding there are fewer drums I need to keep beating myself.

Cougar

(wow, there’s a sentence ripe for selective quoting…)

traildog
    Free Member

Can you be vegetarian, but eat meat or fish if there is no other option. Does that mean you stop being vegetarian and have to go through ‘the change’ all over again?

D0NK

Wow, you make it sound like some bizarre alternative lifestyle

it is!

mt
    Free Member

Cabbages have rights!

WackoAK
    Free Member

I can’t understand why this keeps coming up but, VEGETARIANS BY DEFINITION DO NOT EAT FISH….

Thankyou +2

Now can you fix the issue where the “Vegetarian Option” is more imaginative than Goat’s cheese something or other..

molgrips
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

… I need to keep beating myself

Is that a consequence of vegetarianism?

Junkyard
    Free Member

someone is still bitter about loosing a filling to a vegan jelly 😉

Now can you fix the issue where the “Vegetarian Option” is more imaginative than Goat’s cheese something or other..

The vegan option is usually to watch everyone eat

molgrips
    Free Member

one of my mates is French and has been vegan for about 8 years (and he lives in rural France, not a major city so if it’s possible there then it’s possible anywhere in the country

Well living there is not the same as going on holiday there. When you live there you can buy anything you can here (except parsnips) so there’s no issue. The issue is when you are visiting and you have no choice but to eat out.

RustySpanner

The issue is when you are visiting and you have no choice but to eat out.

Eh?

I visit a lot of places.
    I can usually remember how to buy things from a shop & cook a meal.

molgrips
    Free Member

You cook meals in a bed and breakfast or hotel? Presumably you take a camping stove. Do the proprietors not mind?

nickc

Had an interesting discussion with a waiter about the relative vegtableness of a snail/mollusc thing that he wanted me to try, but even in France you can eat food that doesn’t contain the flesh of dead things these days.

RustySpanner

molgrips – Member

You cook meals in a bed and breakfast or hotel? Presumably you take a camping stove. Do the proprietors not mind?

All the b&bs & hotels I’ve stayed in have had a front door, which has enabled me to walk to a local cafe or restaurant.

Now stop being silly.

Cougar

Is that a consequence of vegetarianism?

I’ll line ’em up, you knock ’em down.

Just knowing what it is would be nice half the time. (And one dish is not a bloody “option”.)

The-Beard

Just knowing what it is would be nice half the time. (And one dish is not a bloody “option”.)

Weddings are the worst for this. Most of the time it’s just the meat dish with the meat taken off… Or mushroom risotto.

Harry_the_Spider

There are is a lot of cobblers spoken about being vegetarian. The wife is veggie, the kids are veggie and at home I am, by default, veggie.

We are not unfit, unhealthy or starving. We have a varied interesting diet and can eat out or stay in a B&B without the need to smuggle in a camping stove and beans. Even in Yorkshire.

Try it Pete. I’m thinner and fitter than I was 20 years ago.

Cougar

Indeed.

A question I often get is “what do you eat?” Tonight, I’m making steak and ale pie.

piemonster

Pescetarianism innit

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shirley pescetarians only eat fish and nothing else. I often hear people say “I’m veggie but I eat some fish occasionally.” I don’t understand the need to beat a drum about it. Why the strong feelings? Is it because somebody said something incorrect?

piemonster

Nah, it’s just a diet that includes sea food but not the flesh of other beasties.

Veggies eat fruit after all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Vegetarians.’ is closed to new replies.