Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Vegetarian Meals – Share your Super Quick Recipes
  • andykirk
    Free Member

So I have heard vegetables are good for you. I eat hardly any. I need to start.

I read (on here I think) about a ‘vegetable fry-up’ where someone was adding chilli powder? to make the taste more appealing. What I am really looking for is ultra-quick zero hassle chuck stuff in a frying pan type meals, possibly with an equally quick to make accompaniment with stodge value (maybe like rice but without the cooking time).

I cannot stress enough how little I know about vegetables/ cooking in general so please keep it simple.

woody2000

Ratatouille. Serve it with rice or nice crusty bread if you want some extra bulk or make it into a nice veg lasagna.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2903/ratatouille

brassneck

I’d invest some time in learning to cook – you don’t need much to be able to feed yourself well for life.

Easiest 1 pot dishes I do are stirfrys (can buy everything in a bag but fresh ish if you want convenience, swap proteins about, Quorn, Tofu, cashew nuts whatever) – veg, noodles, protein, sauce. It usually makes it out of the pan… also risotto – I don’t do cheese, but I just brown an onion in butter, add green veg (edame beans, asparagus, peas, brocoli) throw the risotto rice to coat it in the fat, add stock and let it simmer away till the rice is soft and the stock absorbed. Keep stirring it.

On rice, get a rice cooker – its the one kitchen fad gadget I got that gets used every week.

binners

xherbivorex
    Free Member

if i want something good and quick like that, i literally just chuck a bunch of veggies into a hot frying pan or wok with some coconut oil in- good are sweet potatoes peeled and cubed, broccoli florets, onion, green beans, baby sweetcorn, finely shredded brussel sprouts, chestnut mushrooms, spinach, kale, chopped spring onions, chopped fresh chillies etc. add the leafy things a few minutes after the firmer ones. chuck in whatever seasoning you like too, really, or for really simple then just a glug of soy sauce, or hot sauce depending on your mood. you can always throw in some canned chickpeas or suchlike for some protein too.

councilof10
    Free Member

Gralloch (TM Scapegoat) and delimb 2 medium sized vegetarians.

Force through a mincer and form into fist-sized patties.

Line up on a 6ft length of scaffolding plank (the older the better).

Carefully place an identical plank on top, and wrap the whole assembly in wet carpet.

Place the lot in a 2ft deep trench and cover with smouldering embers. Leave for 24 hours.

The next day, dig it all out of the ashes and carefully scrape the meat into a large bucket. Throw the bucket away and eat the planks – vegetarians taste like sh*t.

binners

Yak

Chop any veg into small bits.
    Put kettle on.
    Heat a frying pan up to 11
    Fry veg.
    Pour boiling water over rice noodles.
    Let the noodles soak for 3mins then drain.
    Veg on top, then cover in soy sauce and chilli oil.

Probably 5mins all in.

onewheelgood

maybe like rice but without the cooking time

Rice cooking time needn’t be long – basmati takes 7 minutes. It’s much nicer too.

kayak23

Rice cooking time needn’t be long – basmati takes 7 minutes. It’s much nicer too. it comes ready cooked in packets that you just wang in the microwave

Ftfy.
    But yeah, it’s easy to cook.

nicko74

Tom yum soup: teaspoon of tom yum paste (can be bought from the supermarket), bunch of bamboo shoots, bit of noodle if you fancy it, cherry tomatoes, chili, coriander. Bring to simmer.

If you’re fishatarian, you can even chuck some prawns in there too.

beej

Serves two.

Chop 1 med red onion (other colours available), 2 peppers (four colours available), and a few mushrooms (generally dull looking).

Fry gently til soft.

Add tinned tomatoes (red), 1/2 tin. Oregano.

Cook for another 5-10 mins until toms have reduced a bit.

Splodge on a ciabatta, cut horizontally. We use either one big, or two of the smaller ones. Sprinkle with cheese, dollop with pesto.

Stick in oven (180C) until cheese melts and browns a bit.

Home made “French bread” pizzas! It’s like 1978 all over again. You can add anything else you fancy. Garlic, bacon (though that makes it slighty less veggie), paprika, chilli…

kaiser
    Free Member

You’re making me feel hungry

beej

For 2.

Cook penne. We use 125g dry per person, you might want more.

While that is cooking, heat 2 tbsps. of decent olive oil and one tin of good quality tinned toms in a saucepan, with a few twists of pepper.

When this is starting to simmer, add about 50g parmesan, grated. Pre-grated is fine but should be proper stuff. Still until really melted, so you can’t really see any bits. Then add 125g pre-grated mozzarella. Don’t use the whole stuff and try grating it, doesn’t work as well. Stir until completely melted. You should have a fairly thick tomato/cheesy sauce. Add lots of fresh basil.

(Putting the parm in before the mozz is important as it has a higher melting point and doing it in stages means that you make sure it melts well).

Add cooked penne to sauce, stir very well.

Pour into two individual baking dishes – like mini-lasagne ones.

Sprinkle a good coating of grated parmesan over the top.

Bake at about 190C until brown and slightly crispy. 10-12 mins.

Let cool for about 30 minutes. Seriously, this stuff is like the contents of a magnox reactor when it comes out the oven. You might get away with 10.

Eat. It’s awesome.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Veggie fajitas, so easy and quick even I can do them on days I’m home before the missus. 😉

Top tip, get your tortillas from Lidl or Aldi, they are dirt cheap compared to Sainsburys and often have flavoured varieties in stock.

Harry_the_Spider

Get yourself a copy of Prashad and Plenty.

loddrik
    Free Member

People actually eat vegetables..??!

maccruiskeen

So I have heard vegetables are good for you. I eat hardly any. I need to start.

For 2.

Cook penne. We use 125g dry per person, you might want more.

While that is cooking, heat 2 tbsps. of decent olive oil and one tin of good quality tinned toms in a saucepan, with a few twists of pepper.

When this is starting to simmer, add about 50g parmesan, grated. Pre-grated is fine but should be proper stuff. Still until really melted, so you can’t really see any bits. Then add 125g pre-grated mozzarella. Don’t use the whole stuff and try grating it, doesn’t work as well. Stir until completely melted. You should have a fairly thick tomato/cheesy sauce. Add lots of fresh basil.

(Putting the parm in before the mozz is important as it has a higher melting point and doing it in stages means that you make sure it melts well).

Add cooked penne to sauce, stir very well.

Pour into two individual baking dishes – like mini-lasagne ones.

Sprinkle a good coating of grated parmesan over the top.

Bake at about 190C until brown and slightly crispy. 10-12 mins.

Let cool for about 30 minutes. Seriously, this stuff is like the contents of a magnox reactor when it comes out the oven. You might get away with 10.

Eat. It’s awesome.

I think you missed out the bit where you put some vegetables in 🙂

nickc

Rice cooking time needn’t be long – basmati takes 7 minutes

if you like it under-cooked.

Rice takes at least 10-15 minutes.

beej

I think you missed out the bit where you put some vegetables in

Shhh…. Don’t mention the non-vegetables.

maccruiskeen

As a quick filling frying-pan based recipe

Mix 180g of plain flour, 3 eggs, 140ml milk and one teaspoon of baking powder together (start with the flour and baking powder in the bowl then add the eggs and a little milk and mix adding a little bit of milk at a time.

Then either open a tin of sweet corn or chuck 400gm of frozen sweetcorn in boiling water for a few mins (just enough to defrost them really.

Mix the batter with the sweetcorn, some chopped spring onion and some chopped fresh coriander

You can then just pour dollops of this into a frying pan to make fritters. Eat them with nice things on top like guacamole, fresh tomatoes and bacon (you don’t need to make vegetarian food to eat more vegetables) and a splash of chipotle sauce or put them in a roll like a burger with anything you like

epicyclo

councilof10 – Member
    Gralloch (TM Scapegoat) and delimb 2 medium sized vegetarians….

Swine! You owe me a keyboard… 🙂

Cougar

Quick vegetarian meals? Make four times as much as you need. Then put one in the fridge, two in the freezer and one in your belly.

I’ve started doing this with meal components too now, like home-made pizza sauce. Making things like curry I found I was always using the same blend of different spices so on my recipe I replaced “half a teaspoon of…” with “one jar of…” and mixed up a massive batch. Now I can just hoy a couple of tablespoons in rather than faffing about measuring individual spices, it sounds like a little thing but cumulatively it must have saved me hours.

Cook penne.

You probably want the penne slightly undercooked for that, as you’re sticking it in the oven afterwards?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

£10 well spent. Lots of good, tasty recipes designed to win over lazy McDonalds munching yanks.

onewheelgood

Rice takes at least 10-15 minutes.

If you cook basmati rice for 15 minutes you will end up with soup.

kimbers

1 onion chopped
    fry 5 mins
    1 clove garlic chopped
    1 thumb sized nugget of ginger chopped
    1 chili chopped
    fry for 2 mins more
    + 1 tsp cumin powder
    + 2 tsp turmeric powder
    + 1 medium sweet potato chopped in 1cm cubes
    + 1/2 green, 1/2 red pepper chopped
    fry 3mins
    + 500ml boiling water
    + 1 can chick peas
    + 75g maggi coconut powder
    boil for 20 mins, till its a good thick sauce, top up water if necessary
    +
    big handful of spinach and some chopped corriander
    cook 3 mins

serve with naan breads, to mop up every last bit of the delicious dinner youve just made

kerley
    Free Member

£10 well spent. Lots of good, tasty recipes designed to win over lazy McDonalds munching yanks.

Not to mention the gratuitous (and ultimately tiresome) swearing all the way through it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

f you cook basmati rice for 15 minutes you will end up with soup.

Takes me 14 – 7 simmering. 7 absorbing with heat turned off and covered. No draining, rinsing, straight to the plate.

(So probably 15 or so in total.)

cokie

Salad type thing
    > Bed of baby spinnach
    > 6 baby plumb tomatoes- halved
    > 3 falafels
    > 3 dollops of hummus
    > palm of mixed seeds
    > Splash of olive oil & pumpkin oil
    [> Chunk of bread if you fancy carbs]

Roast root veg with your choice of protein/fat (sausages, chicken, etc.). Super easy prep and painless to cook- delicious for the next 3 days.
    > 2-3 sweet potatoes & white potatoes
    > 3 carrots & parsnips
    > 2 red onions
    > 1 courgette
    > 3 garlic cloves
    > Beetroot (if you like it..)

– Peel, wash & roughly chop
    – Chuck in roasting tin
    – splash of olive oil (or other)
    – Little salt & mixed herbs
    – toss with hands
    – Oven at 180′ fan for 45-55 mins, mix every so often.

miketually
    Free Member

Take an ordinary tin of tomatoes and any vegetable. Put them together and you get vavoom! an acceptable pasta sauce.

[video]https://youtu.be/7Wnnf6MZL-w?t=1m[/video]

Fry a chopped onion and some garlic
    Add some chopped up vegetables and fry them
    Add some tinned beans (optional)
    Add some herb/spices (optional)
    Add some tinned tomatoes or vegetable stock (optional)
    Add a splash of soy sauce or balsamic vinegar (optional)
    Serve with rice/pasta/couscous (optional)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I do basmati like this:

Rinse in a sieve (gets rid of starch) while pan of water boiling
    Chuck rice in pan once it is boiling and put lid on
    Once it gets back to the boil turn heat down to simmer
    Wait a while. Approx 7 mins. Taste with fork to see if it is still crunchy. If so, wait longer
    Pour into sieve to drain. Catch a bit of the water in the bottom of the pan
    Put pan back on the hob with no heat, sieve on top, lid on

Get everything else ready and serve. The last bit steams it and makes it nice.

zippykona

Not to mention the gratuitous (and ultimately tiresome) swearing all the way through it.

Was it written by Danny Fryer?

kennyp
    Free Member

Stir fry some bean sprouts and cybees, chuck in a packet of noodles (those ones they sell in plastic boxes in the supermarkets), add some soy sauce and stir fry a few more minutes. Very, fast, cheap, easy and scrummy.

dazh

Some people have a funny definition of ‘quick’. My definition of quick is put a box of quorn fish fingers (vegan too!) under the grill, serve with ketchup.

andykirk
    Free Member

Great suff forum people. I shall pick one of the above and give it a go. Will keep you up to date.

I wish my ‘Choose Me A New Frame’ thread had so many replies. Does that mean vegetables are more popular than bikes?

andytherocketeer

rinsing and sieving rice? ❓

2:1 water:rice
    one single stir the moment it starts boiling
    simmer till all the water is absorbed
    stir/fluff up a bit and leave off the heat covered for a few minutes while you finish sorting the rest of the meal
    no need to try a bit – it will be right

serve
    couldn’t be easier

Shackleton

One of my fast favourites (veggie household). Serves 4 very generously and is 20 minutes fridge to table.

400g dried linguini or spaghetti
    400g quartered cherry toms
    zest of 2 lemons (juice lemons and freeze for lemon drizzle cake……)
    2 tbsp EV olive oil
    very, very generous pinch of salt

Put the above in a high sided frying pan (saute pan is best) with a lid.

Add 1L boiling water, cover, bring to the boil, uncover and simmer until 2-3 minutes before pasta is cooked.

Add 400g of chopped (black) kale. If you are feeling posh remove the thicker stalks. Cook for 2-3 minutes (you should have a minimal, thick sauce at the end).

Serve. Parmesan and pepper to taste.

Yum.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Vegetarian Meals – Share your Super Quick Recipes’ is closed to new replies.