• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Vee Crown Gem 27.5 – any users? Or any other 2.6-2.8(skinny) tough rubber.
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Trailblazer sucks. Need replacing rear rubber. Don’t like Schwalbe, Maxxis seems extortionately expensive in flavor I’d like it to be, no WTB anymore, found Vee Crown Gem and it looks interesting…

Any real life experience? Especially regarding actual vs. declared width and weight wise as well?

2.6, 2.8 or 3.0… Need to have some reference point to start up with something…

Unless anybody got other ideas for 2.6, skinny 2.8 rear tyre for mixed terrain (Peaks, Lakes).
    I’m after traction and relatively robust side walls.

Trailblazer is shocking in that last department 🙁

Cheers!
    I.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’m a Vee user but not plus size. The new enduro core is great, not sure how that compares to the plus size sidewalls.

psycorp
    Free Member

Not all WTB Plus tyres are created equal. Do a bit of reading on MTBR.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestion. Having a peak now.

Cheers!
    I.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Specialized’s Butcher 2.6 is not available over here apparently (though I’ve not been able to find any online, but they are available). That looks like a good bet based on the price of other Specialized tyres.

BadlyWiredDog

WTB Ranger TCS Tough 2.8 is pretty much bombproof and around the same size as a Trailblazer and not insanely expensive either. A little heavy, but that’s the price you pay for having super robust sidewalls. Not quite as fast as the TB, but not far off. Decent rear tyre, mix with something grippier on the front.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Thanks for more wisdom.

I have Surly Nate up front, so not much else to be done in front grip department :mrgreen:

But I’m seriously lacking traction up rear.

Legs still going but rear end is skipping and sliding.

… and these dreaded side walls 👿

Cheers!
    I.

sv

+1 for BWD ^^^

I use a Ranger tough/fast as the light/fast cut on its second outing

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Managed Ranger Tough for 32 quid, bought a bit on faith, but fitting outcome proved to be OK.

If lucky will give it a bash on Easter Monday…

However fitting this rubber into i35 ASYM rim is grim nightmare 👿

Plastic levers snapping, steel core lever bending, knuckles bloody-raw…
    I understand that it is tubeless ready set-up, promoting easy inflation but fitting poops big time…

Sometimes I’m thinking that someone that designed WTB TCS system decided to take a mickey and all the 650b rims are in fact 652b…

Cheers!
    I.

scotroutes

Nobby Nic

Alex

I shredded a fast rolling Ranger at Afan but based on BWD’s recommendation bought the Tough ranger a couple of weeks ago for £33. That’s less than half the price of the Rekon on the front. It’s been down the Ranger path off Snowdon, round the Beast at Coed and some decent length riding round here (FOD).

I felt it actually hit the rim when I cased a water bar and it survived that plus my other rubbish riding so it’s a thumbs up from me. Not super grippy and quite heavy but as BWD says, that’s the compromise. I’ll be taking it to Spain in 10 days (but I’ll also be taking a spare tyre)

I did manage to roll it off the rim a bit which strangely didn’t seem to affect it at the time but it was flat in the morning. A quick bump with the compressor and it’s not lost a PSI since. I’m running it at 18 now on the back of my FS – started at 16.

Alex

Oh and I didn’t find i hard to fit to 35mm rims – IBIS ones tho not WTB. Seems odd their own tyres are hard to fit on their own rims!

IvanMTB
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Nobby Nic

No thank you very much. Don’t like Schwalbe rubber.

Alex – Member
    Not super grippy and quite heavy

It must be definitely better than TrailBlazer, as it does not grip at all…
    Not fussed about weight as have 1400g Nate up front :mrgreen:

Cheers!
    I.

scotroutes

No thank you very much. Don’t like Schwalbe rubber.
    [/quote]

Nose. Face. Spite.

TBH, I’ve never much liked Nobby Nics in their normal variety but these are superb.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

I’m sorta schalbo-phobic…

Too many bad experiences with them in the past.

Might be they are better these days but I’m not taking any chance 😆

Cheers!
    I.

Alex

I had a pair of the 2.8s NNs come with the bike. I’ll certainly re-fit the rear when we’re back from Spain. Probably leave the Rekon on the front tho. That’s a really good tyre – should be for the cash tho!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Vee Crown Gem 27.5 – any users? Or any other 2.6-2.8(skinny) tough rubber.’ is closed to new replies.