Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Vauxhall Vivaro – anyone got one?
  • psychle
    Free Member

If so, how've you found it? If not, did you go for something else?

Would £4750 for a '04 plate, 6-speed Diesel 2.9CDTI with 93k on the clock be a decent deal? Looks like this:

steveh

Psychle I seem to be one of the resident van experts around here and have owned a couple of these over the years.

That'll be a 2900kg 1.9cdti I'd imagine with the 100bhp version of the engine. Pretty nice vans to drive, should give 35mpg and comfy to be in for long periods. The biggest problems with these vans are all gearbox related, look how many of the older vans for sale have had new/recon boxes for proof of this. Make sure it's had the cambelt done and budget for it if not, due at 80k. The other common problem is with the clutch, not the plates but the various cylinders etc, not hugely expensive to fix, about £400 for them all but they'll go in stages.

Price wise it'd be a lot for a bare van, I'd expect a standard van with those details to be around 2500-3000 so it depends what value you put on the interior.

If you've got any specific questions drop me a line.

pault41
    Free Member

Uesd to drive one of same year in minibus form 6 speed box ,only dislike i found was rev limiter when over taking in 2nd ,had to change up midway to 3rd .
    Farther in law has an 05 one with crew cab same engine says very ecconomic on fuel ,and friend has one too, only weakness found yet is power steering pipes on rack split ,consequence of fast steering underload with caravan attached reverseing.Friends and in laws both been chipped up friends is 2.5 also.

spooky_b329

Used to drive a basic one for work, nice and car like to drive, good handling and sure-footed; it has relatively low profile tyres for a van. But we had whatever the standard engine was, was quite slow and always felt like it had been tuned down, used to annoy me simply as it didn't sound like the engine was even trying to make an effort 🙂 Wouldn't rev very high from stationary (presumably to stop tyre smoking starts!) but it was annoying when you needed to pull out onto a busy fast road. Used to start pulling out then stab the clutch momentarily to get some revs 🙂

My 100ps Transit Luton is faster, my own camper is quicker still but still nothing special, only 120bhp.

I suspect my van was a 1.9Dti, CDTi might be a completely different animal so you might find my comments are irrelevant.

Sonor
    Free Member

I've got one which I use for work. Only got the base model, but it goes pretty well.

Apart from servicing, In the almost two years I've had it, I've replaced the track rods on the steering after they got a little noisy and the alternator packed up. Changed the cambelt, more of a precaution as the previous Vauxhall dealer who serviced it didn't mark down it had been changed and didn't want to divulge any info when we rang them.

I haven't had any problems with the gearbox/Clutch(97000miles) but these vans lean on the brakes quite hard, which means the pads and discs need changing fairly often. This van is used everyday however.

Drives very much like a car.

Price wise it'd be a lot for a bare van, I'd expect a standard van with those details to be around 2500-3000 so it depends what value you put on the interior.

These vans are just as numerous than the fords, yet for some reason are more expensive to buy.

nasher
    Free Member

Interesting thread..

about by a new 2.5 sport minibus

still very nervous as I have never spent so much money in my life!

steveh

Sonor – From what I see at the auctions there isn't a great deal between the prices of transits and vivaro/trafics. Transits do tend to be slightly lower but at this kind of age the value is so low that the differences are pretty small.

steveh

Nasher – Does it have to be new? How long do you plan to keep it? Unless you're getting a killer deal there should be better ways to do it than brand new.

daveevs
    Free Member

I've got a 2.0 Vivaro. It's my 5th van, and I'm very impressed. Good power nice and low, tidy handling and reasonable mpg (av 33 in a hi top).

My only caution with that particular layout is that pedals will destroy your kitchen and seat in a very short time. Also, it looks like you'll struggle to get more than 2 bikes in, and when they are in, you can't sit in the back and have a brew!

I prefer a separate "bike garage" across the back, leaving the mid camper-van section relatively mud free.

For that price it looks good value, and you can always move the interior around if you need to.

Sonor
    Free Member

Sonor – From what I see at the auctions there isn't a great deal between the prices of transits and vivaro/trafics. Transits do tend to be slightly lower but at this kind of age the value is so low that the differences are pretty small.

Ah, Auctions…

nasher
    Free Member

steveh

Im getting it nearly 9k less than list on a 5 year hp/lease type thing.

basically i worked it out hat I will be paying the same amount per month on new than I would on a 12k second hand one with a bank loan.

Unless you have other suggestions?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Got a 1.9TDi 9-seat Renault Trafic (L2H1). Same van, different badge. Great to drive, just like a car. Ours now has over 150,000km, engine still great, no gearbox problems so far. Clutch cylinders went shortly after we bought it and we got the whole clutch replaced in one go.

Ours gets driven pretty hard up and down the Alps every day so it's doing well.

I haven't done the sums on fuel economy, but it does Sainte Foy to Calais on one tank!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Most people in my trade seem to berate vivaros, they much prefer transits for their reliability.

I have just bought an '02 transit swb with 96k for £1900, ply lined and in good condition. Exciting stuff! Got a decent insurance quote of £250 for it too which I'm pleased with.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Vauxhall Vivaro – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.