Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Vasectomy, how long off the bike?
  • Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Hey folks.

Just had a vasectomy this morning and was wondering how long I'll be off the bike? I took the opportunity to send my bike frame off to the powder coaters but it should be back on Friday and I'll be keen to get it built back up and take it for a spin.

Please, no horror stories.

Thanks

Keith

failedengineer

I missed two weeekends, but I was running again after 1 week (cautiously!!)

organic355
    Free Member

ahhhh, I instinctively crossed my legs when i read this.

marsdenman
    Free Member

No more than a week – you just have to 'erm….. feel your way – as in sit and pedal and see how it all feels downstairs…..

No horror stories here – just the utter randomness (made up word….?) of the surgeon, ahem 'doing what he had to do' whilst ordering / sipping a cup of tea……… 😯

wwaswas

if you're sfb – within 20 minutes of getting off the table, normal folk – 3 or 4 days to a fortnight.

nickc

3 days for the swelling to go down, 5 days for a quick run, back on the bike after a week or so. Other people are different though.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Not too bad then. Hopefully the weather will pick up a bit by then.

Cheers.

wwaswas

"the surgeon, ahem 'doing what he had to do' whilst ordering / sipping a cup of tea.."

I prefer my surgeons not to have a hot beverage on the go, tbh.

zaskar
    Free Member

Ask your Doctor before the operation?

Take your time to heal!

No horror stories of testosterone dropping like a … just kidding!

MisterCrud
    Free Member

I was back up a ladder painting a house the same afternoon, then did my first ever MTB race (1987, Innerleithen)10 days later.
    I can't recommend the op. enough. Go for it!

matt_outandabout

Some of you clearly had it easy. I was nearly sent home 'half cock' as it were, and had to persuade the doc to just get in there and find the slippery b*gg*r as I wasn't shaving and coming back in again.
    Cue a week of impressive bruises – but not too painful.
    Took a week to be able to do more than hobble 200m to the shops, about 10 days to be 'comfortable' again, and nearly 3 weeks before being back in the saddle.

Harry_the_Spider

Slightly OT.

Do you get it done on the NHS? If so, how long does it take to ahem… get the ball rolling… from chat to chop?

confuzzed
    Free Member

Was wondering about this too. How much time off the bike, and off work?

Rather more worried about the effects on getting jiggy.

wellhung
    Free Member

In the case of a work colleague forever he died of complications a few days later grim very grim.

Good Luck though the thought of a needle anywhere near the downstairs hanging bag is a no no for me 😯

br
    Free Member

Took 10 years for me 😉

But, done on Monday afternoon, took Tuesday off, drove Wednesday and motorcycled Thursday.

Trimix
    Free Member

A week.

sturmey
    Free Member

She will let you know when she feels she is going short 😉 Seriously I have not got the balls to go through with it. Yet.

stumpyjon

Do you get it done on the NHS? If so, how long does it take to ahem… get the ball rolling… from chat to chop?

Go see your GP, think it was about six weeks for me from chat to chop, was a bit shocked, had it done this time last year and was mentally expecting to have a good couple of months wait. Wasn't a pleasent experience but not painful. I think I was very lucky, minor swelling and no pain. As for getting jiggy, same as before, once in a blue moon, trouble is you have it done after you've had kids when there seems so little point 😥

theotherjonv

prob miss a week to be on the safe side but take it as it comes

Took me 4 weeks but that's because the wound itself got a minor infection and didn't heal, had to go back in after 2 weeks to have the wound cleaned out so the healing could restart. After that the chaps would have been fine but the doctor advised me that a sweaty warm chammy wasn't an ideal location for my freshly cleaned wound…..

On the having it done on the NHS: the wife and I agonized for ages over the benefits of the Marie Stopes procedure vs the full cut and shut job that the NHS offered and whether that was worth £400 odd quid. In the end I lost and went NHS. Waiting list was about 6 months (Guildford) but the upside was that the PCT had decided that it was more cost efficient to contarct out to Stopes anyway. So once I'd risen to the top of the wait list, I was just then treated the same as the others and was allowed to book appts at time to suit, etc. Worth checking if your PCT does the same if it's the procedure rather than the wait that attracts you to private.

And yes, it was worth it. Bareback riding after years of paddling with your wellies on, nothing to beat it.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I'd have it done…but the thought of being awake and feeling it going on no way. If i was put under then yes no probs for me, guess thats not an option?

matt_outandabout

Took a week to get a referral, and three weeks to get it done (NHS). But we were 3 kids up already…
    The procedure is quick and simple – and the recovery wasn't THAT bad.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if you're sfb – within 20 minutes of getting off the table

well, I did give it 12 hours 🙂

stucol
    Free Member

The op is not too bad, a funny electric shock feeling once or twice. The jag is a little, ahem, ouchie.

I gave it two weeks before the bike got a look in. I did have some superb bruising.

Nookie, as someone has to bring it up, well, err, 2 days later. Not the most comfortable experience.

Oh and gentlemen, lets not forget, it's not 100% successful.

Some of us apparently have more than one tube per spherical object.

So, they won't have to tell me what it's like when i eventually go back.

BUGGER !

stoney
    Free Member

Mine was on a Tues morning, was riding the next Tuesday night. I did run the dad`s race @ my No3 boys sports day the next day though!!! 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Vasectomy, how long off the bike?’ is closed to new replies.