Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Varnish, wax or oil. Whats the best on wood table?
  • woody74

Just sanded down a waxed pine kitchen table and it’s now looking splendid in it raw smooth state. What is the best wonder product for keeping the surface stain free but also keeping the matt untreated look? I know there is soothing out there as we have some oak bedside tables that must be treated with something as you can put a boiling hot cup of tea on them and in many years not a single stain has appeared.

What do people recommend?

neilforrow

Polyurethane is the trick.

The Minwax stuff is good. http://www.minwax.com/how-to-finish-wood/guide-to-clear-finishes/

globalti
    Free Member

Wax or oil finishes will often show a mark if a wet cup is put down on them. I’ve tried clear and coloured wax and Danish oil on various woods and as far as I can see the best practical finish for a kitchen table is a polyurethane varnish, unfashionable but practical. Don’t use gloss as that shows imperfections, get a tin of Dulux Trade Polyurethane varnish in satin from your local Dulux Decorator Centre. Put on three coats, rubbed down between and thoroughly de-dusted and the table top will be protected fropm staining and, as importantly, sealed to prevent expansion and contraction in damp and dry weather, which will eventually separate the planks. Be sure to varnish the edges and the underneath as well so as to seal the wood completely.

The Dulux stuff is easy to apply and forgiving of bad technique or drips as it shrinks down when dry to almost nothing. The satin finish gives it a nice sheen; you could also go for matt. Ive done 13 interior doors, three coats each side and they still look great, eight years later, with no warping due to uneven moisture absorption.

This:

woody74

Cheers guys I will give one of these a go.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not quite clear, but I’d suggest Osmo Hard Wax Oil (Polyx) – it’s perfect for tables as it’s non-toxic.

Extremely durable and hardwearing

Very water and dirt resistant

Enhances the wood’s natural character

Resistant to common liquid spillages such as water, juice, tea, cola and wine

Saliva-resistant and sweatproof, suitable for children’s toys

Microporous, breathable finish which does not crack, peel or flake

No sanding necessary for spot repairs or future applications

vorlich
    Free Member

Osmo +1

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Osmo +2
    Don’t be a heathen- use coasters.

johndoh
    Free Member

BTW, we have a table and chairs all sealed with Osmo (previously an uncoated finish) and it has lasted for the last six years since our twin girls were born, surviving pen attacks, spillages etc – some more stubborn marks require a firm rubbing but everything thrown at it has come out.

It is due a new coat on it but another benefit of Osmo is that you can patch coat it without it darkening (ie, so you don’t have to do the whole thing if you only want to make a repair).

timba
    Free Member

Whatever you choose might be with you forever. Varnish won’t take on some waxes/oils should you change your mind

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Osmo fan here too. (Polyx Floor Oil will give the table a nice hard wear-layer)

OP, if you don’t fancy it darkening too much, they do a raw oil now. Rather than brush it on, it would be better to rag it on very thinly. It has white oil mixed with clear oil – the white helping to keep the wood (grain especially) paler. If you have an inconspicuous spot under the table that you could sand back, I’d recommend trying it neat and maybe diluted (a couple of different dilutions) and then top-coating with clear oil. It should be sanded no finer than 150 (120 preferably if you can achieve a good finish with that) as anything too fine will prevent absorption of the oil.

chickenman

Polyurethane is crap. Osmo is the holy grail of finishes; easy to apply, good finish and repels water better than anything else. Used to spray furniture with precat melamine lacquer, now just use Osmo.

woody74

Thanks all. Shop recommended apply one hard wearing wood varnish, Dead flat finish. Heat resistant as it’s always guests that end up putting a coffee cup down and leaving a big ring mark. Finish looked good in the shop. Fingers crossed

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Osmo + another. Great stuff *but* it’s best on virgin wood. The only time I’ve had trouble with it was when there had been other finishes, however well stripped. On a kitchen table it suddenly went sticky after about three years. Stripped and used osmo again though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Varnish, wax or oil. Whats the best on wood table?’ is closed to new replies.