Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Vargo Ti-lite Mug, Alpkit Mytimug…
  • Rich
    Free Member

…or is the MSR Kettle really worth the extra £12.

I think £25 is extortionate already, so no snobbery!

problem_child
    Free Member

have a look at the snowpeak stuff .they got some good set’s

nickname
    Free Member

I’ve got the Vargo. It’s perfect. All the ti mugs are going to weigh about the same, so the next important thing is probably size.

This mug is the perfect size. Can use it for drinking and eating out of. It also fits a small gas canister+burner+lighter+spork, so all my cooking stuff is in this one mug.

I don’t think its worth getting the MSR kettle, from pictures it looks like it you couldn’t fit a gas cansister+burner in the pot for carrying around – that would annoy me.

surfer
    Free Member

Rich
    Free Member

Yeah I agree surfer. 😉

Thanks nickname. The only thing that bothers me is I have heard of the lid on the old Alpkit mug, which was a direct copy of the Vargo, falling off so its harder to use it as a storage container, and also having a sharp edge which cuts through straps, bags, etc.

Have you found these to be an issue.

Unsure whether the new Alpkit mug may be better?

Vargo Ti-lite Mug

Alpkit Mytimug.

surfer
    Free Member

The magic of “edit” when you have asked a stupid question!!!

The internal dimensions of the Alpkit seem the same which would mean it could hold the items Nickname mentions above.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

I’ve an MSR kettle and a couple of their mugs too. Firstly, you can fit a gas canister in the kettle along with a pocket rocket and a cut down spork. Secondly, you can fit a Mug into it also, along with a canister. The lid is very secure, the rim (he-he) is not sharp nor is the rim (he-he) on the mugs. The Mug also is usefull for uber light trips as it will go directly onto the stove. In short, from seeing an alpkit one, the MSR is better.

I also have a Titanium Coffee Press from Snowpeak, that fits everything except a canister.

nickname
    Free Member

I was going to post something about the lid on the vargo. It may annoy you as it doesn’t clip on.

I don’t take the lid with me these days. I used to just attach it to the mug with a bit of tape and that worked fine – the only reason for doing this was to ensure none of the items mentioned could fall out when I was carrying my stuff. When cooking stuff it’s fine and doesn’t fly off 🙂

davidrussell
    Free Member

lid also helps conserve fuel and reduces cooking time etc.

Rich
    Free Member

I might just get this and save $$$.

£12.99 for a pan and effectively a mug. Any good or will I just end up buying twice?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

My local Blacks had Snowpeak Ti mugs in it today reduced to £15 might be worth a look if you have one locally, was in looking at daysacks for walking so didn’t really stop to have a proper butchers at them.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

While the Snowpeak mugs are indeed nice items, their not a patch on the MSR version as you cannot place one directly onto your stove to boil water/milk.

Rich
    Free Member

Why cant you place them on the stove?

Are they double walled?

Rich
    Free Member

Has anyone tries one of the new style Alpkits, and can vouch whether the new lid design is any better than the old one?

Rich
    Free Member

I have looked at both of these pots at home, and the Mytimug, is around 30 grams lighter, the lid has a rolled edge so isnt sharp, and the handles arent as loose so dont clank around.

So that’s the one I’ll be keeping.

Not that anyone probably cares, but I like to finish off topics and the info might be helpful to someone.

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Vargo Ti-lite Mug, Alpkit Mytimug…’ is closed to new replies.