Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Vans with crew cab
  • hammerite
    Free Member

There was a thread where we were talking about vans a week or two ago. Can’t seem to find it now.

Anyway, we’re considering one of the following (new or nearly new):

Vauxhall Vivaro
    Fiat Scudo
    Fiat Ducato
    Hyundai iLoad
    VW Transporter
    Nissan Cabstar

Anyone got any experience of any of these? Pros/cons? ability to customise to how we want it?

maccruiskeen

ability to customise to how we want it

difficult to answer if we don’t know what it is you want. Apart from carrying 5 people (like you could in a fiesta) – what else do do you want to do?

hammerite
    Free Member

Good point and I’m not sure what the answer is as we’re not 100% sure what we’d want yet. When I say customising, we won’t want to do anything special, so I suppose some customising packages like you can get for VWs. Are these readily available for the other vans.

maccruiskeen

so you’re not too worried about what the van can carry (theres quite a range of sizes there) you mean customise as in put sparkles and glitter on – in that case you’ll get more off the peg options for VW, slightly fewer for vauxhall (which you’ll find more examples of already fitted with 5 seats). Unless you are buying new you’ll likely have more vauxhalls than VWs to choose from generally as VW sell fewer units and the owners hang onto them for longer

forget the rest in the customising respect

how can a Scudo and and Cabstar both be on your list?

steveh

As someone else has mentioned there is quite a range of sizes there so you need to think about what you want to carry.
    The vivaro is identical to the renault trafic and nissan primastar so look at those too.
    The ducato is a bigger class of van so for all round use day to day will be more hassle and less pleasant.
    The transporter will be the nicest to drive/be in but only slighly ahead of the vivaro group. It will cost you a lot more to get one though. In overall terms the vivaro range is the best package overall.

To explain my views I’ve owned transporter, trafic and ducato and have driven all but the iload.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Transit twincab, bombproof, comfy and theres a reason why most crew cabs on the rd are transits, used to have the vauhall at the last placei worked, terrible turning circle, even for a crew cab, poor fuel eco, and poor interior very poor that when we shut the doors our brews would pop out of the cup holders and the interior passanger pocket cracked, and these were brand new ones!!! Highly reccomend transits!!

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I think I put cabstar in when I meant to put Primastar.

The vehicle isn’t being used as commercial vehicle but more to make it very convenient for carting bikes around and using for holidays/weekends away etc…. Mya even be used for sleeping in occasionally.

I thought the Ducato was too big, but the chap at the Fiat dealer said he thought it’d be more useful than the Scudo. Looking at the dimensions of the space behind the rear seats it looks big enough to put bikes in.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like you don’t want a crew cab, just a van with a row of seats in the back (and a couple of windows). Transporters are very popular for this round our way.

hammerite
    Free Member

We need to carry people as well Nick, more than 3.

br
    Free Member

What about a large MPV.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thought about that, but it’s a lot of messing about with removing seats. We’ve decided on a van, just wanting feedback on the ones above.

druidh
    Free Member

Vivaro/trafic/primastar.

I bought a normal LWB van and did my own conversion. I prefer the flexibility of one big space rather than the “Crew Cab” style. I have 3 Q/R rear seats but even with those in it is still long enough to put bikes in without removing wheels (although for more than 4 bikes it can be easier to do so).

It is also long enough that I can put a campbed in the back.

If you are planning to sleep in it then you will need to insulate. This will also cut the wind noise while driving.

I get just over 40mpg and I find it easy and relaxing to drive.

Get a post 2007 model to avoid gearbox issues.

tinsy
    Free Member

If your wanting a new one, check out the new Transit, its quite a lovely place to be on the inside.

If 2nd hand the Merc Dualiner is the kiddie, can have a bulkhead so pure van in the back or my personal favorite has the 3 seats in front 3 behind, no bulk head & a fully trimmed out rear. Handy if your sleeping in it, vans get really cold.

VanHalen

you just need a converted van into a camper. and a fiamma bike rack on the back. i have seating for 5 and one lap belt and can fit loads on bikes in if required. and can make tea/pasta/curry and sleep in it. lovely

i have a VW T4. other brands are available at lower prices. my mate just picked up a ford transit based jobbie with loads windows that looks ace.

steveh

Druidh – gearbox issues not fixed on post 2007 vans. The issues with cluth cylinders failing are much rarer but gearbox issues are still common. Mine went at 110k, 750 for a recon and it was good as new. If it’s a high mileage van then expect it to need one at some point if it’s not been done before.

I’d also avoid the vito. I had a crewcab as tinsy describes and it was the worst van I’ve owned. Noisy, uncomfy, thirsty and generally so poor that it only lasted 3 months before I sold it.

Yours for £30k 😮

peajay

Just in the process of ordering a trafic sport crewvan, has £7700 ex vat knocked of the book price and has rear parking sensors free as well, would have liked a vw but price made us look at alternatives,
    PJ.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Vans with crew cab’ is closed to new replies.