• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by csb.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Vans – Anyone using a Mk1 Expert/Dispatch/Scudo?
  • cookeaa

My Missus has sort of half caved on the idea of me getting a Van as it would also mean we could do more trips down to Devon/Cornwall with the kids as she likes the sea and a bit of body bording etc…

Looking at it the Mk1 Expert/Dispatch/Scudo common Chassis vans some of the ones knocking about look almost ideal, double sliding side doors, various rear seat anchor points, bench seat up front, big enough load bay for a few bikes, camping kit, etc…

Anyone else got one for such purposes, and if so how have you found it? anything particularly to watch out for when buying? Any better options for a Medium sized van?

davesmate
    Free Member

I’ve got a dispatch. It’s been pretty good to be fair but it’s on it’s last legs now. Regularly take me and 2 mates in it with our 3 bikes and all our individual camping kit. Just the right size for a double airbed in the back when empty. Like I say it’s on it’s last legs now, thinking about replacing it with a Toyota hiace as only having 1 sliding door means bikes can be strapped to 1 side a bit better, in my mind anyway!

Marko

Son has one and gets the DH bike in stood up with the wheels on.

Only 3 seats and it will be a lot of hassle to put glass and more seats in the rear. It’ll never be worth doing on a Mk1.

Gutless wonder as well . . .

Hth
    Marko

cookeaa

Interesting, cheers for the feedback, I’ve seen a couple about wih glass already in and double sliding doors, I think there’s a variety of configurations available as they were setup for everything from Taxis to catering, I don’t mind guttless so long as its not going to shit its gearbox or fall apart on me…

Hiace would be another contender too I suppose… Hmmm.

cbike
    Free Member

I have a non turbo expert 2005. It’s slow but who cares. 110 000 miles, Body in pretty good condition. Rust appears high up and is easily treated. Nothing around chassis or arches. ( I had a transit before)
    I replaced the timing belt as soon as I got it and the clutch release bearing as I knew it was failing when I bought it.

It revs so slowly I don’t think the gearbox can ever be stressed.

Next mission is suspension which is still cheaper than a new car.

Del

i have an expert hdi on a 56 plate. under 50k miles and one previous owner. actually feels quicker than my old leon 1.9tdi. i’ve insulated behind ply and have an ex mod bed that slots in the back. a number of bikes in the back easy – lot’s of bits to hang bungies off. middle passenger better be fairly short of leg or they’ll get uncomfy over hours in the chair. diver’s seat is comfy. i’ve done three or four hour stretches in mine without issue. noise from side doors. i tie the tops of mine together if i’m @ 70mph for long. at lower speeds it’s ok though. will fit in a regular car space if you’re thinking of doing the ferry, i’m told.
    i’m actually thinking of going LT35 or sprinter next, actually. the ‘spert is just about big enough for most use, but isn’t significantly advantaged over the transporter/transit size, and i’m starting to think the next size up again could be really useful.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I had an 02 Scudo with the 2.0L jtd engine. As fast as any car, I loved it so did my son, my wife hated it.
    Middle seat to small for an adult really. Best mountain biking tool for the single man ever invented!

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Had an ’03 naturally aspirated diesel Expert. Put a sleeping platform in, which doubled as “out of sight” storage space and bench. Got bikes and even a kayak inside without trouble. Was sluggish but that wasn’t something that bothered me. Used a cam strap to tie side doors together for motorway driving, otherwise noisy and draughty (side doors slightly sprung, I suspect). Driver and main passenger seat was comfy but middle seat a little cramped.

Proved reliable and robust. Except the glove box.

Loved it but had to get something more sensible when child born. I’d have something similar again in the right circumstances.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’ve got a ’54 plate Dispatch HDI. Used for the last 5 years as my “car”.
    Plenty of oomph & plenty of room for what you’d need, I’d have thought.

104k miles on it now, the driver’s seat’s getting a bit sad, where I swing out on the side of it, but that may be something to do with my 100kg. 😳

csb

I have a 2 litre JTD Scudo, navy blue, 3 seats up front, windows in back doors, owned by me from new in 2002, 60k miles with full service history and tax/MOT until Aug 2013. Electric windows and central locking. I need to sell it as I simply don’t use it anymore now we’ve got a baby. It’s near spotless.

Heaviest thing it’s ever carried is bikes and camping stuff, and I used it as my car and camping/surfing/biking van for 10 years until baby arrived and we got a nice sensible Fiesta. Quoted about £1000 for side door bonded windows and a double rear passenger seat installed by GM Conversions, but we decided it was time for a proper car.

As above, it pretty quick with the turbo diesel and driving position is like a tall car. Did 400 mile journeys up to Scotland no problem.

Interested?

duner
    Free Member

How much you looking for it csb? And where are you based?

csb

Duner – Do you have an email address I can contact you on?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Vans – Anyone using a Mk1 Expert/Dispatch/Scudo?’ is closed to new replies.