Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • vanilla R’s to pike 426???
  • clancol
    Free Member

Howdy, first post.

Got some stock 05 Vanilla R’s on my marin rocky ridge and was looking to get something similar with lock out.

would i notice a big difference with 09 Rockshox pike 426’s?
    is lockout really worth it if i’m chasing time on red routes, or should i just stick to the R’s

I’m using pro2 hubs at the momemnt so 20mm is not a problem,

daveh
    Free Member

As a Rocky Ridge owner, with Pro2s, who has gone from 06 Vanillas to 08 Pike 426s, I feel qualified to answer this question:

YES, do it.

I wouldn’t do it for time benefit though, the Pikes are a damn sight heavier than Vanillas. I’d do it for the bolt thru stiffness/security, the u-turn facility, the rebound adjustment and as you say, the lockout (with blow off) can make things a lot better on the smooth stuff.

puddle-rider
    Free Member

Just waiting to see the feed back on this, I have 2008/9 vans with 15mm axle on my FS and Air U turn revs QR on the hardtail.
    Love the feel of the coil forks and am seriously considering changing the Revs for coil Pikes on the HT

clancol
    Free Member

yea i noticed there was almost 1.5 pounds difference between the forks but i asumed that the lockout for smooth/climbing and with some lighter bar’s & tyres i’d likely claim that time-weight back.

how did you find the different travel settings on the fork given that the RR has odd geometry?

D

daveh
    Free Member

Ah well, thats the thing about u-turn, you play with it when you first get it, after a week or so you just set it to max! Really though, 140mm is great for bombing around the trails, 120-115mm sharpens things up nicely for more xc rides. I haven’t been lower than that though, why would you! What do you mean by odd geometry btw?

clancol
    Free Member

nothing, just the fact that its an aggressive ht designed for 130ish travel.

daveh
    Free Member

Ah OK. As I said, stay in the 115-140mm range and its fine but definately noticable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘vanilla R’s to pike 426???’ is closed to new replies.