Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Van Nicholas Zion vs Zion Rohloff weights – what gives?
  • DoctorRad
    Free Member

I was browsing over on the Van Nicholas site, and noticed they did a Rohloff version of the Zion. Nice, I thought… until I saw the weight of the thing. The basic build is 29lbs vs 24.1lbs for the normal Zion with similar kit.

What gives? Obviously the EBB takes some of the difference into account, but nearly 5lbs difference? What ever happened to the notion that the Rohloff is the same weight as the parts it replaces? Is that just bullshit?

nickc

mostly, yes

tree-magnet
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    mostly, yes

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Del

LOL
    maybe they’ve built the rear wheel a bit stringer to deal with the weight better…?

avdave2

I’m not sure their weights are right. Look at the belt drive Zion with the Rohloff and it drops to around 25lbs even with Toras. My steel framed Rohloff bike weighs around 29lb with pedals and that’s got a Son dynamo hub as well.

br
    Free Member

The 29lb is real-world on scales, whereas the 24.1lb is a marketing weight?

DoctorRad
    Free Member

… belt drive Zion with the Rohloff and it drops to around 25lbs …

More like it…

trail_rat
    Free Member

sounds like a typo to me ….

i have a steel touring mtb with rohloff that weighs 29lbs …..

my new ti frame with rohloff on paper weighs 22lbs …. watch this space for actual weight – mid november or when ever i find a pair of stans arch 29ers in black 32 hole!

DoctorRad
    Free Member

i have a steel touring mtb with rohloff that weighs 29lbs

Thorn Sterling?

trail_rat
    Free Member

raven enduro

bought it as a donor bike for my ragley TD-1 but have spent the last week riding the raven – its quite nice if weighty !

trail_rat
    Free Member

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Van Nicholas Zion vs Zion Rohloff weights – what gives?’ is closed to new replies.