Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Van insulation and lining question
  • piemonster

Planning on modifying our van early next year.

It looks like one option is to use the silver foil backed stuff underneath the ply lining and carpet.

Any reason not to? Not bothered about warmth, more concerned about managing condensation. It’s not intended to be a camper van, there’ll be no cooking area etc. (Ventilation is being addressed)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

do you mean the silver stuff thats like bibble wrap? if so i have used it in a few vans, perfectly adequate for what i’ve needed and never any probs with condensation. if i was going to winter camp up a mountain i might consider something a bit more serious, but for most scenarios i think its fine.

i also like using flashing tape on the panels before hand for sound deadening.

Marin
    Free Member

Should be good for the job. If you only sleeping in it odd nights condensation not a worry really in my experience.

sharkattack

Genuine question- What are you going to use the van for? Just wondering why you’re thinking of insulation and condensation if you have no plans to sleep or cook in it.

There’s loads of information on various van websites about vapour barriers but it’s a lot of work, usually only done to full on camper builds.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I filled all the spaces with loft insulation (the recycled plastic type not the glass type).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Funny you should ask this, just insulated my van panels yesterday using This and also did the wheel arches with Bostik flash tape from Toolstation.

The difference in noise whilst driving is incredible, I wasn’t expecting it to be quite as quiet, and once I do all my carpeting, I’m sure it’ll be even quieter.

The double skinned bits, ie sliding door and barn doors were done with sheeps wool insulation by the previous owner, I’ll just keep that tbh.

bowglie

We’re just in the process of converting our transit van to a camper, and have used this stuff on the sides and roof:

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/lining/carpet-vinyl/thermo-acoustic-campervan-insulation-self-adhesive-7mm-closed-cell-foam-with-foil-inner-surface

Very noticeable difference in sound deadening and prevents condensation forming on the sheet metal. As my wife feels the cold we are going the whole hog on insulation – so I (note it’s me doing the donkey work!) have used sound deadening underfelt as first layer on bare metal floor, then 25mm deep wooden cross ribs, infilled with 25mm kingsman, then 12mm ply on top. We are (I am) gonna use a combination of 50mm kingspan and recycled plastic loft insulation to fill the voids in the side panels, then tape over some of the silver foil bubble wrap before ply lining goes on. (Told you its gonna be well insulated!).

TBH, I reckon a normal warm blooded homo sapien could probably get away with the self adhesive foam and a layer or two of the silver bubble wrap stuff under the ply, esp if your gonna put a gas or diesel heater in – but the floor is worth doing somethign more robust that won’t compress.

Even without the walls and ceiling finished our van is now quieter inside than our 4 year old Octavia diesel.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s the exact same stuff as the Harrison trim supplies I linked to, very good.

spacey

I used foil backed bubble wrap stuff from an ebay seller and would recommend.. Easy to work with and made a real difference to sound and warmth. Although I did the kingspan and bitumen tape too and ours is very warm, snug and quiet.

takisawa2

Look up “vanman theology” on YouTube.
    He uses the stuff from Harrison’s.
    There’s loads of videos on there but his few are quite good.

piemonster

Cheers for the replies, and yes I meant the bubble wrap stuff.

Van is basically a day van that can be slept in. Nothing built in!

st

In my first van I used the recycled bottle loft insulation in the voids with the foil bubble wrap fixed over the top to retain it and before carpet lined panels.

The second time round I used the stuff bowglie has linked to. My van is used as a big car which might be used for sleeping one or two nights a year so I wanted a neater less faffy option but wasn’t concerned about maximum insulation, just an improvement in comfort.

On both occasions I used plenty of Slient Coat sound deadening sheets before any insulation went in.

The self adhesive insulation is great to work with and importantly fits well into the small roof void and as the complete void isn’t filled I assume there’s less potential for moisture to be retained.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Van is basically a day van that can be slept in. Nothing built in!

Me also, the only thing I’m building into mine is a little bathroom unit I bought that will house my stove and gas bottle, planning to carpet that too.

Only thing I really need to sort is bike storage in there. I don’t really want to **** about taking front wheels off, but this looks the tidiest option at present, as I can bolt in a couple of seasuckers.

Other options are bungee to the sidewalls, one of those alu racks that holds the front wheel….

allfankledup

We put the bikes in nose first, then bungee around the handlebars / rear headrests. Keeps them upright most of the time…

The headrests are built into the van.. not on the bikes..

BoardinBob

I used this kit

Product Details

Foil glued to the bare metal, foam glued on top of that, carpeted ply as the final layer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Van insulation and lining question’ is closed to new replies.