Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • van
  • hypan
    Free Member

what would be an ideal van for 2 or 3 bikes and camping gear.

steveh

We’d need some more information than that to recommend things.

How many seats do you need?
    What’s your budget?
    Do you want to be able to sleep in it or just carry equipment?
    Do you mind taking a wheels off bikes if you want to get 3 or more in?
    Do you have any brands on a yes or no list?

Pretty much any van – any more criteria?

jimithenomad
    Free Member

i’m very happy with my renault traffic

vim_fuego
    Free Member

My previous van was an ex Post Office LDV Pilot with crew cab and bulkhead. They are cheap as chips and served me well for about 2 years.
    We did a couple of family camping trips with it, house tent, bikes, cooker, etc, took the lot, no problem.

SaxonRider

Two letters: V… W…

Seriously. My Caravelle now has 200000 on the clock and, having taken me from Spain to Poland and back to the UK carrying a motherload of camping gear, as well as taking two bikes (on a tailgate rack), has not had so much as a hiccup.

I swear by it.

vim_fuego – Member
    My previous van was an ex Post Office LDV Pilot with crew cab and bulkhead. They are cheap as chips and served me well for about 2 years.
    We did a couple of family camping trips with it, house tent, bikes, cooker, etc, took the lot, no problem.

You may well have been served well by yours, but c’mon, you’ve got to admit; LDV vans suck bawls. I can run faster and the comfort levels are on a par with Autschwitz.

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Theartistwhateveryournameis-I never said they were good, but for about a fifth the price of a vw,they do the job, I just wish my Sprinter was as reliable.

vim_fuego – Member
    Theartistwhateveryournameis-I never said they were good, but for about a fifth the price of a vw,they do the job, I just wish my Sprinter was as reliable.

This isn’t meant to be inflamatory, just my POV.

Matalan jeans are about a 5th of the price of anything I’d actually wear.

Alba hi-fi’s are about a 5th of the price of anything I’d consider to be worth listening to.

Tesco baked beans are about a 5th of the price of Heinz.

A Saracen is about a 5th of the price of a mountain bike.

Lots of things do a job, but personally I tend to veer away from buying cheap shite, because that’s more often than not exactly what it is.

vim_fuego
    Free Member

So you only buy the best, good for you, does that include your recovery service.

i bought a seat inca for about £700.

Its a great size for 2 of you going away with a couple of bikes and if needed you can get more in at push so everyone else can travel in a car? I have been away on my own with one of my bikes and slept in it which was fine! Wouldnt want to do it in the winter though!!!

Its a 1.9 diesel (normally aspirated) engine so nowt to go wrong really and the whole thing is essentially a rebadged VW caddy so they are well built just a fair bit cheaper than a VW. I absolutely love it.

My friends have all sold their bigger vans (trannys etc ) to buy caddys or similar due to tax and fuel etc but you do lose the convenience and versatility. Depends on what you do and the size of your wallet!

Good luck!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘van’ is closed to new replies.