Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Valves/tyre logos. Do you align?
  • fivespot
    Free Member

YES….its the law 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Always have done, strangely, for almost as long as I’ve bin riding mtbs. Way way before I discovered STW, and that there are others who do the same. 😆

Just seems natural.

sam42
    Free Member

Next to the valve or opposite the rim logo for me.
    +1 for hub logos through valve holes

epicyclo

Definitely line up. I don’t like faffing around when I have a puncture. It’s a sign of incompetence or tubelessness if you don’t.

There was a good reason for lining up the hub makers name with the valve hole too, but it’s now redundant.

aa
    Free Member

Yep,

like northwind sez, its practical.

looks better too.

scottw
    Free Member

Maybe if I get lucky…

andrewh
    Free Member

There was a good reason for lining up the hub makers name with the valve hole too, but it’s now redundant.

What was it? Other than a sense of satisfaction from doing it ‘properly.’

juiced
    Free Member

never. espically after todays escapade with some dual plys and metals levers.

loddrik
    Free Member

I file all my logos off. Only way to be sure..

epicyclo

andrewh – Member
    What was it? Other than a sense of satisfaction from doing it ‘properly.’

Hubs used to come with an oil port. The makers name was on the opposite side.

If you lined the valve hole with the makers name, then you could be sure oil would not drip from the port on to the valve. Woods valves were the common valve type and they depended on a piece of rubber tube which would quickly perish if oil got on it.

The valve hole could have been set anywhere so long as it wasn’t under the oil port, but this was a convenient way of being sure.

PJM1974
    Free Member

After delaminating fingernails with my wire beaded Maxxis tyres the alignment of the logos can be damned.

ahwiles
    Free Member

never. espically after todays escapade with some dual plys and metals levers.

After delaminating fingernails with my wire beaded Maxxis tyres the alignment of the logos can be damned.

are you lot trying to fit 26″ tyres onto 29″ rims or something?

anyway, logos and valves, yes – punctures etc.

njee20
    Free Member

Always. Was taught to when working in a bike shop, just looks better, attention to detail and that!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I thought is was something like

1) Pros do it because it gives them some advantage
    2) Amateurs do it because Pros do it

Having said that, I do it so I can find the valve quickly

OCB
    Free Member

Yes … for the puncture thing, and I seem to get a lot of punctures.
    I almost never think about lining them up for photographs tho’ – so it’s not all bad.
    😛

chvck
    Free Member

No, it’s not something i usually think about when I’m putting on a tyre. As for finding the valve, that takes me all of a couple of seconds as I spin the wheel and look for the valve shaped object!

I can see why lining the logos up to find the valve quicker may save a couple of valuable seconds in a race but out leisurely riding on a trail?

j_me
    Free Member

No. I need all my mental faculties to get the rotation correct.

user-removed
    Free Member

When I see a bike with logos / valves aligned, I automatically think – STW member 😀 You might as well put a sticker on your car!!

epicyclo

user-removed – Member
    When I see a bike with logos / valves aligned, I automatically think – STW member…

Wrong. It means someone who has been taught the right way to work on their bike.

Most people who are not committed into turning their bike into an expensive BSO pay attention to details..

cookeaa

Not an “Aligner” myself these days, but I can see the logical reasons for doing it if you’re using tubes and want to trace a flat/thorn, all of my MTBs are Tubeless so I can’t really see a reason to bother with tubeless…

I can’t help thinking though, that a fair few people are merely obeying the Aesthetic “Rules” and only pick up the logical reason for doing it when asked to justify being a tart, probably the same fools that buy helicopter tape or neo-guards…

epicyclo

cookeaa – Member
    …probably the same fools that buy helicopter tape…

Do you ride your bike?

TheFopster
    Free Member

Yes. And like a previous poster, only since I found this site and discovered it was a legal requirement…

Actually the puncture finding thing is common sense – I probably should have thought of it myself.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Have always done it. Was first taught to do it when I took up road riding. Do it for the same reason that others have mentioned, namely puncture finding. Carried over the habit into mountain biking. Still get a lot of flak about it from the guys I ride with though!

Aidan
    Free Member

I always line them up, but worse than that I just changed my front tyre and now have some nagging anxiety…

Maxxis only print the tyre model on one side of the tyre. I have a bi-directional tyre on the rear, and a uni-directional tyre on the front. By chance, the logos for the tyre models have come out on opposite sides.

If they weren’t tubeless, I’d turn that rear one around! 😳

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride a bike unless the logo’s lined up!

But, lining up tyre logo’s is nothing. I once dismantled a wheel so I could rebuild it and get the Hope logo on the hub to be opposite the valve hole in the rim FFS!!

Pauly

cookeaa -1
    coolhandluke +1

I pity the fools who think otherwise.

jonnyrobertson

I deliberately misalign. Just because.

Klunk
    Free Member

i generate so much torque the tires slide around the rims every time I pull off, so it’s only luck if they line up.

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

Yep, more because it looks neat and shows pride in maintenance of my bike. If it was any effort, I’d probably be too lazy though.

coogan
    Free Member

Wrong. It means someone who has been taught the right way to work on their bike.

Most people who are not committed into turning their bike into an expensive BSO pay attention to details..

Bollocks! It’s a flippin’ tyre for god’s sake. It gets covered in mud and you can’t see the logos anyway.

Dancake
    Free Member

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

epicyclo

coogan – Member
    Bollocks! It’s a flippin’ tyre for god’s sake. It gets covered in mud and you can’t see the logos anyway.

So you don’t align to help find the puncture, and you don’t clean the tyre before trying to fix it. What’s the rest of the bike like?

Dancake – Member
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Change hands, you’re injuring yourself…

Drac

No, I have far more important things to do like making sure all the handles on the cups in the cupboard face the same way.

coogan
    Free Member

No I don’t, I’ve never lined the logos up. It’s easy enough to find and fix a puncture. The rest of the bike has mud on it too. It’s crazy, but I find carrying a bucket of soapy water and brushes in my pack a bit of a clutter to clean each bit of mud off as it lands on the frame off road…

Klunk
    Free Member

So you don’t align to help find the puncture, and you don’t clean the tyre before trying to fix it. What’s the rest of the bike like?

muddy

user-removed
    Free Member

OK – I’m almost certainly being thick here, but this I can kind of understand;

nuke – Member
    A rather crap excuse but I find if I line the logos up I can quickly spot where the valve is when changing a flat

Although I suspect the aesthetic sense is strong with nuke 🙂

What I don’t really get at all is this (and it seems to be the reason for most aligners aligning…);

andrewh – Member
    Always.
    Reason for doing this proved the other day. Out riding with some mates, one punctured. He removed tube and gave it to the other one, who found the hole and said it’s about a quarter of the way round from the valve. Of by this time the tyre had been removed from the rim and we had no idea where a quarter turn was. If had lined them up properly…

Surely running your fingers round the inside of the tyre takes all of five seconds, combined with a quick visual inspection? Especially given that the vaaaast majority of punctures I’ve had, and that my mates have had, don’t leave anything stuck in the tyre – they’re pinch punctures, broken glass not picked up by the tyre etc. I’ve only ever had a thorn in my tyre once – maybe I’m lucky.

Like I said – I honestly don’t get it – am I missing the point?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

All mine are in perfect working order – almost obsessive so. I do not line tyres up tho – simply see no point. I remove the stickers off rims as well as they are ugly. Eyes and fingers allow me to find punctures and the valve hole

Gary_C

My name is Gary & I align my rim/tyre logos.

There, i’ve said it at last.

Phew!!

😆

Solo
    Free Member

When you’ve got OCD as bad as me, its the only way you can look at your own bike.

OOOOooooooh yes. I align, everytime. I have no choice.

Think Melvin Udall and you’re some way there.

😐

cookeaa

epicyclo – Member

cookeaa – Member
    …probably the same fools that buy helicopter tape…
    Do you ride your bike?

yep explain why I “need” either of the products I mentioned in order to ride?

neo guards – you paid £15 for an old mouse mat? an old bit of inner tube does the same job…

Helicopter tape? why bother? its an MTB every scratch and chip is a battle scar to be proud of. your bike still gets scuffed on the one spot you.didn’t think to put your sticky back plastic. it does look shit….

products for mugs.

seems to me there’s far too many people worrying about logo alignments, rebuilding wheels because OCD and ‘the voices’ told them to and sticking 1/2 a pound of clear plastic all over their dandy horses and not actually riding the buggers.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Valves/tyre logos. Do you align?’ is closed to new replies.