Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Value of the euro?
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Will someone please explain to me, if the euro is in trouble, why it’s not decreased in value against the pound and made a lift pass much cheaper?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I don’t know but I would like to buy a new mast from Europe and if the Euro dropped a bit i might be able to afford it. 🙁

jon1973
    Free Member

Partly because the Bank of England rate is so low, which means no one wants to buy Sterling, and therefore it’s worth less because of supply and demand. Good for exports though.

Stoner
    Free Member

I would guess that it’s mainly because the Euro inflation is staying put at around 3% while ours is over 5% (thanks to the 12% increase in VAT, or 2.5% increase on VATable goods prices) but there’s little chance of the BoE of increasing interest rates to attack that inflation. (mainly because the expectation is that the inflation will fall back down in the short/medium term anyway)

So Euro has a marginally more attractive purchasing power integrity than Sterling at the moment for a given interest rate environment.

Dont confuse “Euro at risk” with currency weakness. The risk is euro denominated bonds not being as robust as they ought to be, not the underlying currency.

crazybrab
    Free Member

It is all to do with relative value. EUR and GBP are both in trouble and therefore relative to each other, they don’t seem to move much – there is little demand to hold either currency.

Sancho
    Free Member

it’s 10% down so i dont understand your comment.

5lab

the euro is down a little, not as much as 10% though. the thing is, if the euro falls apart the UK is screwed as well. I suspect the markets are pricing that in.

Sancho
    Free Member

my holiday is cheaper lol
    booked in june and paid for in euros in December – winner 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

We’ve been printing money like mad (along with the Americans) to devalue our currencies. The ECB hasn’t. Which is why half of europe is about to implode.

jp-t853

The output of the UK is so closely intertwined with the performance of the Eurozone that is difficult for investors justify a large switch from the relative base we have seen for the past couple of years.

Inflation is still being driven partly by efforts by companies to get prices back up to where they were in 2008 when the Euro was something like 1.45 to the pound. The UK is the cheapest place to buy many goods. I remember not too long ago when it was common to purchase a car from Ireland as it was so much cheaper. Pick up an Irish Argos catalogue and a UK one and the goods are still converted at 1.5 euros to the pound.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I like the fact that essentially ALL currencies are “in trouble”, and thus in the same state, ergo that becomes the norm, everything else is just spinning bullshit.

mogrim

Please don’t let it fall in value between here and the new year, I’m in London next week!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Will someone please explain to me, if the euro is in trouble, why it’s not decreased in value against the pound and made a lift pass much cheaper?

to be honest, I think if you are talking about lift passes for your winter holiday, the fluctuations in the Euro and the effect they have are probably of minor consequence.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Value of the euro?’ is closed to new replies.