Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Valuation advice
  • z1ppy

I know you hate these but…. a M8 is selling his Santa Cruz Superlight to another lad we cycle with, so needs a rough guide for a decent price without giving it away or overcharging him… bike has had light XC use only
    (the owner is going back to his hardtail, as this is too bouncy!)

08 Superlight with RP23
    Reba Race forks
    Hope XC wheelset
    XT chainset
    Hope Mono-mini brakes
    Hope finishing bits.

I’m thinking somewhere around 13-1400?
    (especially as a new Superlight frame is £1100)

uplink
    Free Member

£900 – £1k

shortcut

Assuming all in excellent condition, no work needs doing etc and decent finishing kit, so thomson, easton, king headste etc. I would expect between 1000 and 1200. I guess a lot depends on what both buyer and seller think is a fair price.

z1ppy

hope/thompson finishing kit, well maintained and not overly used…

seller hasn’t a clue about the value, buyer is the same.. I’m expected to make everyone happy… £900 uplink are you trolling?

toons
    Free Member

how old is the bike?

timdrayton
    Free Member

do a search in ebay. on the left about halfway down the page, there is an option to amend the results brought back by your search to Completed Items Only.

this is a very good way to value anything, deduct 10% on bike bits and its a fairish price

gusamc
    Free Member

minty identicalish one (fox forks I think and maybe slightly less use) went 1350 on ebay

z1ppy

Ebay has gone slow for this kinda thing, I think a lot off ppl are using it to gain interest then selling them ‘off’ ebay.

Look like I’m think on the right lines though, cheers

mboy
    Free Member

z1ppy, was all the kit new at the same time? ie. was the bike bought as a whole, or already used kit put on it?

If it’s all in the same nick (ie. was all bought new together), and it’s in good condition, looking at its age and relative desirability (being a popular bike), I’d say between 50 and 60% of it’s brand spanking new ticket price (though perhaps discount the RRP on most things, more the price you can buy them for on the net).

I’m guessing the bike was about £2500 new, so your first guesstimate of about 1300-1400 wouldn’t be far off I’d say.

Of course if parts are knackered and going to need replacing soon, then lower the cost accordingly.

Will-M

z1ppy, as mboy says, generally halve what was paid for it and you’re in the right ballpark.

z1ppy

bit were bought seperately but all fitted at the same time, only part that ‘could’ be worn is the chainset (gunna pop a chain checker on it for a general guide).

glad I got confimation, s’not my bike (and though I have the chance of buying it, if I wanted) I don’t want to feel I’ve ripped off either party.

walleater

Does anyone pay big money for used bikes though? It has to be pretty special / rare in order to keep much value. Same for expensive cars. The original owner gets to pay an enormous amount of money in order to get the latest / greatest, and then gets bumr*ped when trying to sell it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Valuation advice’ is closed to new replies.