• This topic has 56 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • VALERIAN – Sci-fi film – summer release, by Luc Besson (Fifth Element fame)
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Could be a good one, seems an awful lot of CGI but hey… if it’s by Luc it might just be quite good.

[video]https://youtu.be/PxH45ivUomw[/video]

Drac

Looks Ok but Luc either does superb films or just awful.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm.. it’s got teenagers as the main cast.. I’m not too sure TBH, but I will watch it.

ChrisL

A beautiful, incoherent mess has got to be a likely outcome, isn’t it?

deadkenny
    Free Member

His stuff was all good up to The Fifth Element, then slipped somewhat. Though he’s been more focused on writing and producing.

Nice trailer though. I’d be up for watching it. A Besson CG flick still has a chance of having a degree of originality and actual plot rather than being yet another reboot / action-fest Marvel type film that I can’t keep up with these days (too confusing with endless rehashes, alternate timelines, contradictions and crossovers).

sweaman2
    Free Member

A beautiful, incoherent mess has got to be a likely outcome, isn’t it?

It’s based on an set of graphic novels so there may be some plot at least.

Fingers crossed it’s good.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

OK. I’m in.

seosamh77
    Free Member

looks good.

colournoise

See, I like Besson films because they are beautiful, incoherent messes.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

That looks awesome.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Harry Potter and the Spaceship of Explosion.

drlex
    Free Member

Agree with Drac – it’s either going to be great like the Fifth Element or it’ll be a stinker like Jupiter Ascending*
    When the trailer is like this, either the movie is so good the studio doesn’t need to tell us what the film is about or it’s so bad they don’t want to tell us.
    What bothers me is why Laureline doesn’t get included in the title.

*yes; I know that’s not one of his films, but is the most recent sci-fi catastrophe

Northwind

Looks pretty, but shit.

drlex – Member

What bothers me is why Laureline doesn’t get included in the title.

(I’ve never read it but) she doesn’t always appear in the title of the comic either- it’s routinely referred to just as Valerian, and she wasn’t planned as a permanent cast member, so it’s not as dubious as it can seem)

deadkenny
    Free Member

@drlex – Lucy is perhaps an example of a more recent one that is one of his and, well doesn’t suck, but isn’t amazing. Though still ranks well above most the garbage these days. Though I need to rewatch it.

CountZero

Very pretty, but I’m getting a very real deja vú feeling about it. It’s possible I might have seen a bit of an early trailer, or else there’s just lots of bits of other familiar things wrapped up in it.

Drac

Yes you need to rewatch Lucy as it starts Ok out then just turns to utter crap.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Cara Delavine is no teenager.

Drac

Neither of them are not that it would make much difference in my book.

duckman

I kind of go and see Luc Movies BECAUSE they are Luc movies…plot etc is a bonus. 🙂

rone

English speaking films have never worked from him, apart from Leon.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Yes you need to rewatch Lucy as it starts Ok out then just turns to utter crap.

Yeah, it had loads of potential, sadly I felt underwhelmed by it.

But it’s on Film4 soon..

drlex
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsG7WJVZv8[/video]

Trailer #2, with a soupçon of plot.

v8ninety

Looks good fun, and quite beautiful. Teeny bit avatar feeling from that trailer, but I’ll see it, and I’ll enjoy it, no doubt. After all, I enjoyed Jupiter Ascending even though it was patently daft 😆

thepurist

I’m leaning 70:30 towards a confused, beautiful bonkers mess. But still looks worth a couple of hours in a darkened room.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Indiana Jones and the Spacestation of Celebrity Product Placement.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fifth Element is one of the greatest ever scifi movies.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Subway and Nikita when they came out. Anyone seen them recently, have they dated well?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Hmmm. I really liked the first trailer but less keen on that one. Starting to look a bit like a set of set pieces loosely held together. However 5th element is one of my favorite films so I’m probably in the give it a go camp still…

kcal

Subway – vaguely recall – Nikita and the slew of French films around that time I really liked – Death in a French Garden although patently silly, had some appeal. But TBH I haven’t revisited them in years…

jimjam
    Free Member

I couldn’t even be bothered to watch the whole trailer.

molgrips

Well it probably is in the top 100 but I’ve always wondered why. Apart from nice production design and Milla Jovovich in bandages I’ve always just found it a bit of a loud annoying mess.

vongassit
    Free Member

OOH OOH OOH , take my money , take my money!

jonnyboi

It looks a bit phantom menace to me

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not watched Subway in ages, though still in my DVD collection. Used to watch it loads. Was always watchable and sure it still is. Love the French style to it.

Would like to watch it again but problem I have is I rarely re-watch my DVDs now as they’re not HD, but I can’t be bothered replacing one physical disc with another. Want it all download, but hard to get old less popular stuff in decent streaming HD quality.

To be fair the DVD will probably upscale pretty good anyway, but I just know it’s not HD.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Jimmy Riddle and the CGI of No Actual Ideas.

FuzzyWuzzy

Well it probably is in the top 100 but I’ve always wondered why. Apart from nice production design and Milla Jovovich in bandages I’ve always just found it a bit of a loud annoying mess.

Pretty much my view of it as well, it’s watchable but I can’t see how anyone would think it’s a classic

nickc

I’ve always just found it a bit of a loud annoying mess.

aye well, we know you’re no judge of film. 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Subway and Nikita when they came out. Anyone seen them recently, have they dated well?

I only ever saw Subway once so can’t recall much of it.

If anything, Nikita still feels quite progresive and forward looking now compared to its 1990 release. It’s only in the last few years that you’ve really started to see a balancing out of females in the lead protagonist role.

Cougar

A few years ago, I was at a sci-fi convention (yes yes, I’m a geek, don’t judge me). Queuing for lunch in the canteen, guy in front of me had some pre-paid card thing that was given out to staff. He slapped it out of the counter and went, “multipass!” Entire queue was in fits of giggles.

#HadToBeThereISuppose

shermer75
    Free Member

Mooltipass

shermer75
    Free Member

Is it me or is the music in this trailer ‘Gangster’s Paradise’ by Coolio?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJbLqa_uSiQ[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘VALERIAN – Sci-fi film – summer release, by Luc Besson (Fifth Element fame)’ is closed to new replies.