Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • V brakes .
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Are avid still the only ones who make V brakes worth bothering with ? (that dont cost stupid money)

4 years of abuse as my commuter has taken its toll on my cross bikes brakes – id like to swap em out for non knackered and siezed models would go back to cantis IF i didnt need new brake levers to do so.

So quality V brake suggestions please.

qwerty
    Free Member

wwaswas

Avids are good and you’ve got 4 years out of them why not just swap like for like?

trail_rat
    Free Member

because they are not avids that are on – they are 10 pound specials that came stock.

I was just referring to when i was a spanner monkey avid V’s were the brakes to have

Are they still so – if so ill go buy a set.

wwaswas

ah, misunderstood.

I’d go for Avid’s or stupidly expensive Shimano ones.

Sure there was a set of XTR’s on the classifieds earlier? [edit] no there wasn’t.

DezB
    Free Member
    munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d go digging for some of the old parallel push XTs if I were you. No V brake got close.

irc

Actually I find most V brakes much the same. After all they are just a lever on a pivot. What makes the difference is pads, and to a lesser extent cables and levers. That said I like the Allen key adjuster on my Avids better than the fiddly crosshead screws on Shimanos.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah luke i had a set of those – they were great for the first couple of years then developed play in the pivots and became horendously unbearably squeely

I think avids will be the way forward.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I can vouch for the Avid Single Digit 7. Have had them on my hybrid bike for ages, and are still good as the day I fitted them. First ones in the lineup that have SS hardware and allen key spring tension adjusters, intead of that stupid crosshead screw that gets mangled easily. The RW-2 pads that come with them are the biz too…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

i replaced some xtr ones on my cross bike that were buggered with newer better xtr ones from fleabay at pretty low cost, think it was like 20 quid.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘V brakes .’ is closed to new replies.