Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • V-Brake Frames…does anyone still make them?
  • mrbotticelli

Have been looking about for a larger frame for my lad and plan to move everything across from his existing bike…which means everything is old school. 26″ wheels, straight steerer, v-brakes etc.

Does anyone still make or sell frames that take v-brakes?

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like a good time to upgrade to disk brakes.

shermer75
    Free Member

Surly, but they aren’t cheap…

mrbotticelli

Would be nice to upgrade to disc brakes, but that would mean new wheels, shifters as well the actual brakes and the bike didn’t get used enough to justify the expense at the moment.

Hence looking for a frame that could take all his existing bits and bobs.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d be looking at second hand options on ebay! 🙂

mrbotticelli

I’m looking…but getting impatient so started looking for new shiny instant gratification 🙂

ads678

Post up on the wanted section on here. Someone will have something laying around.

You can get adaptors for v brakes but no idea if they come in any other sizes.
    https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/37851/Identiti_Rebate_Forks_Brake_V_Brake_Adaptors_Black?gclid=Cj0KCQiA38jRBRCQARIsACEqIevFuAN92bsNCeWbhf2USwv-LnS-zjdNC_t4_SBDTY4I-lAj4Pegy5QaAqUmEALw_wcB

nickjb
    Free Member

Would be nice to upgrade to disc brakes, but that would mean new wheels, shifters as well the actual brakes and the bike didn’t get used enough to justify the expense at the moment.

Second hand 26″ wheels are dirt cheap now they are obsolete and you can get cable calipers that’ll work from the existing v levers. Even cheap ones will be better than Vs. I appreciate it may not be worth spending much but if its better to ride it may get ridden more.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

26″ wheels aren’t obsolete in any way. Just harder to get hold of!

Junkyard
    Free Member

you can get some cracking deals on 26 wheels I got someone spare race set – £400 new ridden twice- for £70 tubeless ready etc – worth it for the hubs tbh

Get an old frame is my advice

surfingobo
    Free Member

What size are you looking for? I have a univega alpina frame that I think is 17″ in the garage that is disc or v so would allow you to upgrade later on

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why buy a frame? For the price of a new frame which you say you’re ready to pay for, you can buy a nice used complete bike. Trek, Giant, Specialized etc all make a £400-£500 bike that’ll sell for half the price a year or two old, and you’ll get the upgrade to disc brakes and probably 650b wheels thrown in, and you won’t have to build it (you did mention instant gratification!) up either.
    Win/win!

ctk
    Free Member

Loads of stuff on ebay, you should be able to get somethin nice for £50. The only thing to watch out for is much older frames say pre 97ish frames wont be suspension corrected. What forks are you using? What size frame are you after?

joebristol

I picked up a 2004 Kona Caldera frame yesterday for £50. Not sure if that was expensive or not but it has both disc and v brake mounts I think.

Secondhand there is loads of stuff about that will meet your requirements.

Alternatively there are a lot of ‘new old stock’ frames from china on eBay. I’m sure some of them were v brake only when I looked and £100 or less delivered.

If you want something really cheap, the frame I’m replacing with the Kona is v brake only / straight steerer / threaded bottom bracket. Prob look to sell it for about £30 ish. In nice condition, no idea what size it is but could measure it up and see?

TiRed

Just swap the fork to cable disc and leave V brakes on the back of a used frame. That’s what I did and it was absolutely fine.

mrbotticelli

Thanks for all the replies.

Nickjb, good call on cable discs, think I’ve got some old Tektro ones in the spares/knackered box of bits so might give me some options…although I seem to recall they were fiddly to keep aligned.

Would still rather not have to replace the wheels. He’s only a lightweight and we don’t live in the Alps so v brakes are still up to the job.

Ideally I don’t want to spend more than £100 moving him up to his next bike as he’ll have outgrown it in a year or two.

Will keep scanning eBay and try a wanted advert.

And he’s currently ~5ft 3ins and growing fast.

Thanks again for all the replies.

mrbotticelli

Stumbled across this new frame whilst looking on eBay.

Seems to tick all the boxes, any idea what they are like?

joebristol

As long as the small seatpost size isn’t a problem then this seems a good option

chestrockwell

Old frame with a £30 powder coat?

mrbotticelli

Ordered the last of the silver 16″ frames linked to earlier. Another couple of years of biking sorted for under a £100.

Christmas present covered and a little project for me and the lad to work on over the holiday as we move everything across from the old bike to the new.

Then I think we will donate the old frame to a local cycling charity.

Quite excited as I’m not going to get to see it until Christmas day when he opens it!

chestrockwell

Good stuff.

joebristol

Looking at the frame you’ve bought it’s also got disc brake mounts – so you have the option to pick up some cheap 26″ disc wheels in the future if you want to upgrade your brakes. Good work!

mrbotticelli

Yeah, disc and v brake mounts so upgrade possibilities come birthday time.

Thanks for the replies and messages.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘V-Brake Frames…does anyone still make them?’ is closed to new replies.