• This topic has 30 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • UST Tyres with side walls that don't pinch puncture
  • GEDA
    Free Member

Using LUST ones at the moment and always getting pinch punctures. ( Ignitors and high rollers) Not running too low pressures. I keep them above 35psi but every time I seem to get a pinch puncture and it is getting a bit annoying. Mostly from hitting rocks and woodwork on my hardtail.

Any UST tyres that have decent side walls that I can run tubeless without getting pinched on?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

my nevegals seem pretty sturdy (the UST ones). Survived a very rocky alps trip with no pinch punctures, despite denting the rim.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'm about 75kgs and have 35psi and don't tend to pinch flat using HR's or Ignitors, if you don't mind me asking what do you clock in at, maybe you just need more air?

bol

You must be riding a lot harder than I do. I'm a heavy, clumsy oaf, and I have yet to get a UST to pinch flat. Mind you, I am also a bit of a mincer.

Xylene
    Free Member

how does a ust pich flat??

br
    Free Member

Do you mean that you are splitting the sidewalls?

If so, you've either a 'big' lad or …

Rear I guess?

Never split a UST tyre, but have many normal tyres run tubeless – therefore run heavier tyres on the rear – try a Larsen 2.35?

scaredypants

Doesn't the "L" in LUST stand for lightweight ?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I run 20 – 25psi no issues with Maxxis HR or Advantage and how can you pinch puncture a UST?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I'm with the Bear and Squirrel
    Plus you must be doing something wrong I run Tubed tyres down at 28 psi and I'm a fat bsatard

Splash-man
    Free Member

Other than the confusion over the pinch bit as above…….

I have got some Geax Saguaro TNT which seem to have a very solid sidewall. Look for any of the Geax in TNT flavour.

GEDA
    Free Member

using 819 rims and the above tyres and getting sick of pinches. Sealant does not work. You get them just the same as normal pinch punctures but when you ride into a square edge (For me) the tyre is pushed against the rim and nips it causing a puncture. 75kg for weight. Any UST that have better side walls?

Xylene
    Free Member

I have got some Geax Saguaro TNT which seem to have a very solid sidewall. Look for any of the Geax in TNT flavour.

I have Geax Barro Mountains in wire rim rigid and they turned tubeless in the blink of the eye. Solid sidewalls as well.

I want to start a campaign to get more people using Geax tyres and join the Geax fan club.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I use 823's and HR LUSTs never had that problem, check the rims to see if they are sharp?

repatriot
    Free Member

If your getting that many punctures tubless I would change back to tubed tyres. I have only ever split one tubless tyre and that was a 2.1 nevegal which was probably too soft for a rock garden. Continental sidewalls seem to me the strongest if you like there tyres!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

GEDA I am 75kg so your a middle weight. I use maxxis LUST Highroller 2.35. TBH I can see no way of causing a pinch puncture with UST. I hit everything square on at full speed black runs the lot. There has to be another reason for the puncture?

Something is definitely amiss here. I would suspect that the tyre is burping when you hit the rock or the valve and the rubber seal are not seated or fitted correctly? Maybe a tyre defect? Basically you cant pinch puncture.

I had one puncture of a rocky track about 5 months ago and it didnt pinch puncture it tore a hole right through the tyre. Not the side wall. Sealant was great it slowed the air loss so I didnt lose it on the corner through sudden loss of air.

Shandy
    Free Member

If you are tearing UST tyres with 35 psi in them then there is very little that can be done for you.

I dunno about the LUST versions but the normal version of the Larsen has much thinner sidewalls than the Ignitor.

beb

it is perfectly possible to pinch ust tyres, they're not invincible. i've pinched a lust tyre on the back of my hardtail and i've seen conti rubber queen ust pinched on a full susser. just like with a tube, you get two holes, one in the tread and one by the bead. just because people haven't experienced it personally doesn't mean it can't happen!

ime dual plys work very well tubeless and are super tough, but heavy. other than that maybe try bigger volume tyres. the new michelins look pretty good…

messiah
    Free Member

As above, go dual ply on the rear, its the only we can get through a mountain ride without needing pumps.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

10 stone here and I do it a fair bit too. I end up with a hole in the tread and a weeny little hole down by the bead. Just like a pinch falt on a tube. I'm about to experiment with a non-UST dual ply on the back on the big bike to see if that solves the issue.

Basically you cant pinch puncture

Sorry, but that's cobblers…. UST is better (ie it's not every ride), but it still happens.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, I've done it a couple of times with my LUST ADvantages, and its seems bloody impossible to repair, superglue, patches, freesole etc etc. Even some Stan's has failed to repair it (although that sums up my experiences in general with sealants).

Did it to a Rubber Queen UST as well, although that was hardly surprising on that occasion.

Someone mentioned Specialized Eskar Armadillo Elites. They're only tubeless ready, so you would need some sealant, but they're quite well armoured and have a very ADvantage-esque tread which seems to work for most stuff.

doug_basqueMTB.com

LUSTs lasted 1 week for me. Pinched x 2 front and back. I´m using 819´s front and back. I´ve tried a few combinations and I´m now running 2.35 Singleply Minions up front (non tubeless but running as tubeless). I´m using the wirebead because they seem to stay on better. This worked perfectly for 4 months but after that time the sidewalls had softened up a lot and I got a rip. I´ve put a new one up front now and that´s working great again.

For the back. I´ve tried all sorts. The dual ply non-ust work great but are quite heavy. The proper UST ones work fantastically (as you would expect) but are expensive and heavy. All my mates who ride similar stuff to me are running Larsen 2.25´s (non tubeless) as tubeless but I can´t get it to work, probably because the rim is full of dings. I´ll give it a try when I get around to replacing the rim.

Maybe if you´re pinching at 35psi, the tyre is slowly leaking over the course of a ride and eventually pinches?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Wonder if the rim makes a difference mines XT maybe a bit wider or shallower or something? Run Advantage 2.1 on rear. Just a thought.

13thfloormonk

Sort of makes sense Pawsy, seem to remember similar theories about wide rims and tubes.

I've had years of trouble free tubelessing and recently its just all gone wrong, to the stage where just fitting tubes and being done with is starting to seem attractive again. Must be some sort of Karma for being a smug tubeless git for so long 😀

Saccades
    Free Member

105kg here on halo choir masters at ~25psi and still going strong (well, wearing out a bit I guess).

xc-steve
    Free Member

I used to have this issue all the time with my LUST tires Larson TT's and 819's, didn't realise it was a pinch only thing I would notice would be a hole right down by the tire bead which the sealant would obviously find difficult to seal.

I since swapped to Kenda (small block 8's) ust's and their tire walls seem very good, haven't had any pinches yet! Don't think I'll be purchasing Maxxis tires again.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Could you be running lower pressures than you think? Most guages are notoriously inaccurate and the stiffer sidewalls of UST tyres mean that they feel hard than a tubed tyre for the same pressure.

solamanda
    Free Member

I'm about to experiment with a non-UST dual ply on the back on the big bike to see if that solves the issue.

I use those on a UST rim and suffer zero flats.

DeeW
    Free Member

Decent sturdy tyres IME:

Michelin Mountain Xtrem
    Schwalbe Fat Albert (though have pinched these every now and then)
    Conti Rubber Queen (great tyre)
    Halo Choir Master (though I found these let go pretty easy)

Way too thin in the sidewall for me:
    Maxxis LUSTs
    Spesh Enduro Tubliss (sp?)
    Conti Verts

As has been said Maxxis DH USTs are great as well if you don't mind the weight and roll fairly quick in 60a

balfa
    Free Member

I'd echo comments about rims being a factor too. I've had tubed setups on trials bikes that have been impossible to pinch puncture. Smacked into square walls many times ands never any punctures plenty of dings to the rims though. I could only attribute it to the rim as had used similar tyre/tube setups on other rims which pinched. Can you try a wider or different rim?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Ok research time Dr Pawsy bear wheel rim consultant!

819 mavic
    Width: 23.5mm
    Profile: 21mm
    Hole: 32
    weight 26": 475 grams
    Recommended tire widths: 1.50 to 2.30

XT Shimano
    Rim Height 21mm
    Rim Width 23.3mm
    Recommended Tire 26 x 1.50-2.25

So Dr Pawsy Bear concludes that:

1. There is no difference in rims, Mavic is 0.2mm wider which is technically a gnats kacker so doent count 😆
    2. Only difference is Mavic = 32 spoke Shimano = 24 So guess there is a difference in rim design because spoke number is different?

We have therefore reached the limit of Dr Pawsy Bear knowledge envelope.

devs
    Free Member

I've only ever done it once and that was hitting a waterbar at mach3 with a Conti Vert UST on the back. Never since on HRs, Swampies and Ignitors. Non LUST UST tyres are heavy but it sounds like that's what you need. Can't see why though because I weigh 110Kg and I'm clumsy but don't have a problem. Maybe you need to check the pressure gauge* you are using or the rims for a sharp edge.

*My pal went through 3 tubes and a sidewall one day. Each time they went with a huge pop. it was only after I put my track pump on we discovered that his pump was under reading massively. He had put about 70psi in thinking that they were at 35psi.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘UST Tyres with side walls that don't pinch puncture’ is closed to new replies.