Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • UST tyre query…
  • Chalkyslide
    Free Member

Do you run UST tyres on UST rims?

I’m thinking of going in that direction and have a few questions:

Are UST tyres just as prone to punctures as running standard tyres with tubes?

If you get a puncture on the trails is it just a case of removing the valve and popping a tube in?

MrNutt
    Free Member

been running maxxis tyres LUST on mavic 823 rims with hutch protect’air sealant and not had a single puncture, its the future.

househusband

No. Pinchflats are a thing of the past, and thorn/nail punctures seal themselves assuming you run sealant.

If you get a puncture on the trails is it just a case of removing the valve and popping a tube in?

No, not necessarily. If you use the ‘sticky string’ type repair kits you can seal the hole externally without having to unseatthe tyre from the rim, or even remove the wheel from the frame. You can be on your way within a few minutes.

mboy
    Free Member

Pop 50ml of sealant in or so, and not only are pinch punctures a no no (you’ve got no tube now!), but you’ll be as good as oblivious to thorns too.

Using normal tyres tubeless you can still risk slashed sidewalls etc. but UST tyres have thicker more resilient casings, meaning to slash one you’d have to be doing something totally ridiculous.

Stu_N

No. Pinchflats are a thing of the past, and thorn/nail punctures seal themselves assuming you run sealant.

No, not necessarily. If you use the ‘sticky string’ type repair kits you can seal the hole externally without having to unseatthe tyre from the rim, or even remove the wheel from the frame. You can be on your way within a few minutes.

You can still get pinchflats, though it is quite hard, you really have to slam it hard into something lumpy (I got one a couple of weeks ago). I’ve had about one or two punctures a year since I went tubeless, vs one or two a month before.

And being a cupid stunt I’m never carrying my sticky string which does work in most cases.

Tubeless really is The Future.

psychle
    Free Member

to slash one you’d have to be doing something totally ridiculous.

Don’t be too sure of that! I suffered a puncture to the sidewall of an IRC Serac UST tyre, it happened as I landed at speed off a little 1ft drop (I suspect a broken tree root or something must’ve done it but never did figure it out for sure!). This caused near instantaneous deflation to my front wheel whilst doing over 35km/hr… what do you reckon happened next? 🙂

Chalkyslide
    Free Member

instantaneous deflation to my front wheel

I suppose that can happen with tubes too!

Thanks for everyones comments. I’m going to give UST a go and now have the joy of tyre choice 😀

psychle
    Free Member

I do think a tube would’ve given me a few seconds to scrub off some speed (maybe!). Instead I had an instantly flat front tyre and was over the handlebars before I even knew what had happened, result was 12 stitches in my knee and a shattered helmet (thankfully I was wearing one!)… I don’t blame the UST tyre, ’twas just one of those things, but I always wonder if a tube might have given me a couple of precious seconds to save myself!

mboy
    Free Member

but I always wonder if a tube might have given me a couple of precious seconds to save myself!

They don’t! You stick a big enough hole in one, it deflates instantly too.

Think, you can put a pinprick in one and it’ll go from 45psi to zero in a a few seconds, you put a hole big enough to slash a tyre sidewall in one, it goes down instantly too.

I am talking from personal experience by the way, a slashed sidewall on a tyre with a tube in was not nice. Ok, I was going relatively slowly, and remained injury free, but the noise I thought I’d ridden over a landmine!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d recomment Maxxis High Rollers LUST 2.3, quick, grippy, light & good in mud.

Chalkyslide
    Free Member

I’d recomment Maxxis High Rollers LUST 2.3,

I use Maxxis High Roller 2.35 at the mo so the Maxxis UST option may be the way to go.

Maybe a stupid question but what’s the difference between LUST and UST?

MrNutt
    Free Member

slightly lighter, at a guess?

but I’ve not seen the standard UST’s anywhere if I’m honest!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘UST tyre query…’ is closed to new replies.