Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • UST tyre not 'popping'
  • oxnop
    Free Member

Whilst my bike is in for repair I thought id have a go at seating some tyres on my UST rims.

(Hutchinson Barracuda UST on Stans ZTR 355 BTW)

The tyre will inflate easily & hold its pressure but it doesn't pop & bang into place (even when inflating to 80psi)- So when i'm spinning the wheel it looks as though the wheel is spinning out of true.

Has anyone had this issue before and if so how do you sort it. & if i cant sort it will a badly seated tyre ruin my ride?

Stu_N

Sounds like you are going in dry (so to speak).

What you need is some soapy water (about 1 part washing up liquid to 5 water) – apply round the bead and it should slip and pop into place no probs.

Try letting the tyre down but leaving it seated then soap it up and pump it up – if that doesn't work unseat it, soap up the bead and pump it up again. Should pop into place at a lot less than 80psi if you lube it up nicely.

crocodilian
    Free Member

Have you lubricated the bead before installation with washing up liquid or something similar? This helps to get the tyres on in the first place (if it's abit tight) but maybe it could help to let the bead seat itself properly?
    I have a tubeless set-up and have had tyre "popping" take place sometimes as long as 5 minutes after inflation to 60 psi, maybe just leave it a bit longer?
    Sorry if this doesn't help.

crocodilian
    Free Member

What that person said.

oxnop
    Free Member

Thanks guys – 'Going dry' is never good.

Ill give it a try & i'm sure it will work.

*** walks away feeling stupid – Its a good job i didnt mention on STW that I did use soapy water, but after the trye was fully inflated – to check for leaks 😳 ***

Damon
    Free Member

Leaving them for a few hours at high pressure can also sort this. You don't get the pop but it moves very slowly into place. I had this with some Maxxs Larsen TT's.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘UST tyre not 'popping'’ is closed to new replies.