• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by P20.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • UST rims & Bonty TLR tyres + Normal tyres
  • P20

Just bought some 2nd hand crossmax. Can you use the bonty tlr series tyres? Presumably normal non tubeless won’t seal. I’ve never had ust rims, but i’ve been using stans for a few years now. Cheers.

stooo
    Free Member

Bonty TLR Tyres have a UST compatible bead, but thinner sidewalls so need some goo/tyre-milk/sealant (whatever you want to call it) in them… but they’ll work fine on your UST Wheels, should work great in fact.

I believe it’s possible to use normal (none tubeless tyres) with UST wheels/rims with goo… but it can be hard to inflate them as they sit a little loose in the ‘well’ in the centre of the rim.

I know Stans NoTubes do a rimstrip that’s for UST rims with normal tyres, but that kinda defeats the point of UST rims.. I’m running Bonty UST Tyres on 819 UST rims…. or at least I will be next week.

P20

Cheers stooo. I’ve just realised that the wheels didn’t come with the mavic valves, but i’ll try with some spare bonty valves that are kicking about.
    I did wonder if the stans yellow strip would allow normal tyres.
    Failing this, i’ll look at proper ust tyres

snakebite
    Free Member

I have Bonty tyres on bonty rims and 819’S, BIG SQUIRT OF STANS AND THEY ARE FINE.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have standard tyres (nobby nic) on Crossmax SLR’s – inflated using Co2 and survived some hardcore riding in the Tuscan hills. Will never go back to UST tyres.

scruff
    Free Member

Generally, tyres which work with Stans poverty set ups will work well with UST rimss. I have run TLR, standard & UST tyres on 819s. Prefer TLRs.

stooo
    Free Member

Don’t think your bonty valves will fit in the UST rim well.

Also – was thinking more of a stans rubber strip (with the valve) on a UST rim to use normal tyres, to build up the bead seat and make the tyre tighter on the rim. But, insulation tape may do it… from the sound of other posts though, std tyres with goo may well work fine.

mboy
    Free Member

I think the consensus is that “normal” tyres with tighter beads MAY work… Some Schwalbes, maybe some Maxxis. But they can be a pain to inflate, but once up and full of sealant, they’re fine.

Been running Bonty TLR tyres on Mavic 819’s for a few years now, spot on… Perfect combo as the TLR tyres inflate easily yet you don’t have the weight penalty of a full UST tyre. I was also running some 2.3″ Michelin dry 2 tyres over the summer (surprisingly VERY good!), and I used them with the Stans rimstrip on my 819’s. Yes it kind of defeats the object of having UST rims, but the tyres were £10 each from On One, and I got the rimstrips cheap too. Might have worked without them, but I wanted 100% reliability. Anyway, as it is, the Michelin’s were almost a total seal, they’re the least porous non UST tyre I’ve ever used, I inflated them to 60psi, didn’t put any sealant in… Left them for 10 minutes, didn’t appear to have lost any air. Left them for an hour and they were still over 50psi! I chucked a little sealant in just to be sure, but well impressed with the Michelin carcass… Contrast that to a Kenda Nevegal which has sidewalls like a collander, getting them to seal was a real test of time effort and patience!

glenh
    Free Member

Yes, Bonty TLR or Spesh 2-bliss or Geax TNT (ie, non UST tyres with tubeless beads) all work fine with UST rims.

As others have said, normal beaded tyres can be a pain to inflate on ust rims (and I’ve had one come off the rim too).

P20

Cheers guys.
    Off to the garage with some crossmax, bonty mud x. There will probably be some swearing 😆

P20

Hmmmm, one successfully completed, one failure. 😕 I had similar problems when i installed the mud x on bonty rims/tubeless system. I ended up running the rear with a tube. Bizarrely when i fitted maxxis advantage to the bonty rims, the front now has a tube, the rear worked. 🙄
    Never had any of these problems on the stans system

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘UST rims & Bonty TLR tyres + Normal tyres’ is closed to new replies.