Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • UST Rims again, Help!
  • z1ppy

Yeah I know, get Stan's Crest.. but my LBS diagree's say 819 all the way, will build me a Stan's wheel if I want, but he and all his staff (and a passing customer) say go 819. So anyone want to convince me otherwise?

I will add..
    I'm not light weight rider (110KG kitted up)
    I already have a set of 819 that work fine (lefty front wheel, I need a 20mm)
    Have no reason to go bigger than 2.3 tyres.
    You still need rims strips to make the stan tubeless???

neil853
    Free Member

may not help but i have 819's and i'm a similar weight and i think they are very good. just been to the alps for a week on them and still dead true. Depends heavily on the wheelbuilder mind but i definately recomend them

timraven

Just about to have an 819 built, bit heavier but strong and proper ust.

Better the devil you know?

MSP

Stans flow, no you don't need rim strips to go tuneless use the tape. lighter and stronger that 819's, and easier to inflate tires on.
    Not a lot of shops have experiance with them so thats why they don't recomend them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

dunno about 110kg on crest but I am 85k gon olympics without issue.

I was wary, hating rims without eyelets but they are fine.

z1ppy

Not a lot of shops have experiance with them so thats why they don't recomend them

This shop is definitely quite experienced in all things MTB*, the customer said he'd taco'd a wheel whilst building it.. the shop definitely disagree's with "crest's are stronger that 819's"

I think Tim, you may have nailed it on the head.

*:it's a seriously well known/recommended shop.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Last time I looked Flows were 470g and 819s were 450g. Splitting hairs I know.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dont forget 20g on the rim is equivalent to 400g on the frame.

Centrifugal weight etc.

WackoAK
    Free Member

and easier to inflate tires on.

Are you serious? You are saying that a non UST rim is better at inflating tyres than a UST rim? (not a troll, just a genuine Q)

MSP

the 819's weight doesnt include the rim bolt things, add on another 100g for a real equivelent.

MSP

Are you serious? You are saying that a non UST rim is better at inflating tyres than a UST rim? (not a troll, just a genuine Q)

Yes, stans are made to be tubeless, just not the UST system that mavic have patented, they do it a different way.

Jamie
    Free Member

the 819's weight doesnt include the rim bolt things, add on another 100g for a real equivelent.

This.

cynic-al
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

Dont forget 20g on the rim is equivalent to 400g on the frame.

Centrifugal weight etc.

Get a grip FFS!

nickc

My 819 are still only 1800g for the pair. Chunky if you're racing but hardly porkie in the real world. They are a bitch to build though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Get a grip FFS!

Blinded by da science Al? 8)

nickf
    Free Member

I've used 819s on everyhting for the last five years, with up to 2.5" on them (didn't work all that well), have ridden then on the road with a 1.25" tyre, have crashed endless times, and ridden a lot in the Alps. All of this with a fully-loaded weight of 105kg.

Never had a bent rim, never had a problem inflating a UST tyre, and have not once experienced the infamous 'tubeless burp' that others I know with Stans seem to get.

A seriously good rim. Definitely recommended.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive used 819's on everything for the last five years, including on my tricycle (with a fully loaded weight of 3/4 of a tonne) in a race against a bull drawn cart across asia.

scruff
    Free Member

Ive ridded several sets of 819s ALOT on the local DH course and in those Alps and not had 1 problem, no buckles, no dings, nowt and I am bigger than the average bear.

adam5555

My personal experience of Stans is that they are not as strong as people seem to be making out. Ive pringled 2 Flow front rims in 18 months whereas my 321s on the other bike have been going strong for 5 years without a problem.
    Not exactly a scientific study into there strentghs I know, it could just be bad luck. But hey thats my experience of stans. Shame because the width, weight and tubelessness are perfect for my liking.

Pauly

Got 2 sets of 819's on Pro2's, and while they may be slightly heavier than Stans, for a rider of your weight I would definately recommend the 819's.
    I've used mine for everything from XC to DH and they are still straight as an arrow.
    A proper UST rim is a lot less hassle than using rim strips.

cynic-al
    Free Member

321s are a not really a fair comparison to flows though are they?

spooky_b329

The Stans yellow tape method is no hassle, you just stick it on nice and tight with a small overlap, then forget about it. No need for a rimstrip.

Love mine 🙂

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I have 819's, now I've sorted how to seat them (lube baby, lube…not petrol based) and fit with Stans I'll never go back to tubes. Everytime I go out I hammer the rock downhill bits and no pinch-flats.

I went through a 'what have I done' phase when I dinked the rim (not stans, not seated properly…knumpty newbie schoolboy error) but, like I say, they tick all the boxes I wanted to tick.

I've not read this thread properly, so apologies if I've gone off on a tangent.

adam5555

321s are a not really a fair comparison to flows though are they?

Well similar weight, width and used for similar type of riding. Only not tubeless. Point I was trying to make is that Flows are marketed as robust rims ( ive read posts on here recommending them for downhill bikes) and IMO there not that robust. So strength compared to mavics could be reflected across the range and may not be suitable for heavier riders.

Garry_Lager

The 819s are tried and tested – strong rim and the UST system is super reliable. Even if the stans were half the price I'd be reluctant to take them on, I mean they may be great but the mavic UST system has been flawless for me for years.

The Stans notubes bollox set tubeless back years IMO – folk dicking around with compressors trying to seat normal tyres etc. So it's not really a brand that inspires confidence for me, even if the current stuff is a long way removed from those early days.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘UST Rims again, Help!’ is closed to new replies.