Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • UST or old-school 'lightweight' tubes?
  • grtdkad

Running UST at the moment but on the back of the bike-weight thread I am considering going back to regular non-UST tyres (already in the garage) and buying a pair of ww x-light tubes from the likes of Continental.

Any experiences of light weight tubes please? Pros n cons?

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve never had an issue with the Maxxis fly weight tubes. They are no more or less puncture prone that a regular tube.
    Foss tubes may also be worth a look.

If you have UST rims you should try using regular tyres instead of UST. That should save a fair chunk of weight.

mboy
    Free Member

Do you enjoy having to run 60psi in your tyres just do you don’t have to fear pinch flats?

iirc you’re running proper full UST Schwlabe’s. Well you don’t need UST Schwalbes to run them tubeless, you can buy the normal “Evo” versions which are about 200g lighter each, bung some sealant in, and hey presto they work tubeless too.

FAR better than bloody innertubes, especially nasty thin lightweight ones!

P20

I used to run lightweight tubes on the P20 and despite the biggish volume tyres they still got pinch punctures. It now runs stans with non ust tyres and it’s been fine.

dickie
    Free Member

As above, running Schwalbe Rocket Ron Performance with JRA wheel milk.
    The Perfomance Ron’s are about 500g each, £38 a pair from On One, or were. The performance are a little bit more robust for running tubeless than the Triple Nano’s but still fairly light.

njee20
    Free Member

If you’ve got UST rims you will have more of a struggle to inflate the pre-2011 Schwalbes (although it can be done).

The 2011 Evo Schwalbes are Tubeless Ready – they have a UST bead, but a thinner carcass, so they’re 200g lighter than the UST ones. Bung a bit of sealant in there and you’ll get all the advantages of UST, added puncture protection and 300g of weight saved. No brainer.

GEDA
    Free Member

I have started using Michelin Latex tubes. Light and don’t seem to pinch puncture so far like my UST tyres.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Conti x-king Racesports, tubeless. Bit of a beggar to seal the sidewalls but at 465gms on the digi scale plus 50mls milk saved close to a 1.5lbs over the set of previous Panaracer UST’s.

grtdkad

So…last night I dug out a regular (non-UST) Rocket Ron from the back of the garage. Not a cat-in-hells chance of running it tubeless though. I have UST mavic rims and tried to inflate with a couple of CO2 cartridges with no luck at all.
    Ended up popping a spesh tube back in.
    Am I missing a trick here?

br
    Free Member

used tyre, and already full of holes?

grtdkad

No. Fairly new but fitted on to the rim far too easily (not tight fit). So it lets all if the air out as quickly as its going in.

njee20
    Free Member

The well on UST rims is too pronounced, the bead retreats down it. You can either put some draught excluder or something in the well, or try a rim tape of sorts, but you need to flatten the profile of the rim. Or get some 2011 Schwalbe’s which have a UST bead and will be far tighter.

P20

If it’s a folding tyre, it may benefit from sitting overnight with a tube in it to give it some shape. Remove the tube and try again. Most of my tubeless tyres I’ve been able to remove without levers.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

100grm maxxis flyweights front and rear, 35-40psi, just had my first flat in over a year. Seen more tubeless woes amongst our riding group than tubed flats (puncture that didnt seal, just sprayed latex everywhere, and one that burped off the rim on the same ride). Both repaired by using a tube 🙄 🙂

Have made the same observation within our riding group, that tubeless seems to generate the same blinkered zealotry as the Iphone. When it works its great but its not perfect, and having to rely on the old tech as a fall-back is fuel to the detractors.

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s a folding tyre, it may benefit from sitting overnight with a tube in it to give it some shape.

If it’s too loose that won’t help. A couple of turns of electrical tape may do it, worth a try.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘UST or old-school 'lightweight' tubes?’ is closed to new replies.