Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Using marine grease on drinking water connections – toxic?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Hi,

Noticed the old man using marine grease for water valves and drinking water supply.

The tub is white marine grease.
    I’m sure he shouldn’t be using that as I use silica non toxic grease.

Told him not to use it but he’s ignored my warnings.

Is he an idiot?

underthethumb
    Free Member

Marine grease will have all sorts of rust inhibtors, be resistant to salt water etc so full of lots additives. It will also be very thick so in reality the risk of wash out is low, unless he used it on hot water system then it will thin out with the higher temp and then will wash out into the water supply.

Just head down to the nearest plumbers merchants and get hime WRAS Potable Water approved stuff, a few quid for a tube.

Though ask him too why he feels he needs to grease up the fittings in the first place, is it really old stuff he’s working on?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Too late, arrogance has led him to coat the mixer cartridge of the cloakroom – drinking water!

I found the grease he used and it has zinc oxides and anti corrosion additives.
    Causes water pollution and won’t wash off.

Pretty much he contaminated the whole water supply and it states causes inflammation if touched or damage to membranes of the digestive tract.

I’m in Sainsbury’s buying bottles water to drink.

I called him a right ‘twunk’ but he thinks I’m overreacting…

brant
    Free Member

At least it’s not got lead in it. Lead pipes. Can’t imagine anything worse.

epicyclo

He’s your dad, and you’re called Frankenstein?

’nuff said, he’s dangerous. 🙂

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Until the grease company tell me on Monday: it’s safe/non toxic eat as much as you like! then I’m not drinking the water or eating off the dishes/utensils.

Bought drinking water, disposable plates and utencils.
    This stuff will trickle back by diffusion as the tap is adjacent of the water supply to the house.

Also bought silver foil hat…for alien signals.

What the heck do I do if it is toxic? Hire a plumber to detoxify it of just drink bottled water from now on lol

underthethumb
    Free Member

Use your Google Fu and look for the MSDS for the product, work through this it should tell you what’s in the grease and what the toxic limits are
    Make some assumptions as to how much grease he had used and specifically where so you can determine how much grease is in contact with the water (ie used on inside of filter body is not great but if just used on threads say then only a tiny bit will be in contact with the water)
    Don’t run the taps in house until you are satisfied- it will not ‘diffuse’ in amounts to be a problem
    Post what you come up with- you may be surprised and be able to sleep easy tonight

PePPeR

Shit, it’s just a bit of grease, stop being a namby pamby and mtfu.

hot_fiat

Wow, and there was I thinking wras devices are a unnecessary, dumb idea.

For future reference, a tub of Boss White is about £3

hammyuk
    Free Member

If this isnt a Troll then you really need to start typing letters into a search engine rather than here…
    The amounts will be ridiculously small – you’d have to literally eat it to be toxic.

poly
    Free Member

it has zinc oxides and

the same as sudocream that we rub on babies chapped bottoms…

andyl
    Free Member

Pretty sure the water company would frown on this as in the event of a leak upstream the contamination could flow back up the system. Same reason you have to have check valves in some locations like outside taps.

Lead pipes are not too bad as the oxide layer builds up and stops the release.

teethgrinder

poly – Member
    it has zinc oxides and

And cats.

oldnick

At least it’s not got lead in it. Lead pipes. Can’t imagine anything worse.

Oi! I’ve got lead pipes and it’s, it’s, now where was I, er, I’m sorry is this the queue for the bus?

Northwind

poly – Member

Most of us don’t eat babies bottoms. Well, not the chapped ones anyway.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

😯

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Using marine grease on drinking water connections – toxic?’ is closed to new replies.