Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Using cinnamon in food
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve been adding cinnamon to my meals to help stablise my blood sugar so i don’t crave chocolate so much. I’ve read that cinnamon can be toxic in larger doses, but no where tells me what a large dose is. Does anyone know?

I’m currently putting half a teaspoon in my morning porridge, and half a teaspoon in my evening meal.

MrNutt
    Free Member
    GrahamS

Doesn’t sound like a large dose to me. My wife is diabetic and uses cinnamon in loads of stuff.

I suspect cinnamon oil is more of a concern.

miketually
    Free Member

If it helps, chocolate is also toxic in larger doses.

MrNutt
    Free Member

as are pianos

juan
    Free Member

as are pianos

And gingers
    And french
    And english
    And fish

finbar
    Free Member

Great article on cinnamon on marksdailyapple.com

Smart Spice: Cinnamon

Note that Cassia (common cinammon) contains significant amounts of coumarin, which humans metabolize to 7-hydroxycoumarin, a toxin moderately damaging to the liver and kidneys. Rodents metabolize it to 3,4-coumarin epoxide, a highly toxic compound, making coumarin a common ingredient in rodenticides. A teaspoon of Cassia cinnamon powder contains 5.8 to 12.1 mg of coumarin and, according to the European Food Safety Authority, the tolerable daily intake for humans is 0.1mg/kg body weight, meaning a daily teaspoon might exceed the limit for smaller individuals. The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment has gone on record in cautioning against high daily intakes of coumarin (PDF).

I eat it on my breakfast every day, for the anti-inflammatory effect. Tumeric is good for this too.

crazy-legs

Only if you’re eating massive doses of it – the chemical they’re referring to is chromium picolinate which is a fairly common dietary supplement anyway.

Just don’t go overboard with it (like any supplement).

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

thanks for the links 🙂 i’ve already checked that its ceylon cinnamon that i’m using rather than cassia.

the link in finbar’s post seems to suggest that not to go over a teaspoon so i think my two half a teaspoons a day should be ok.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Using cinnamon in food’ is closed to new replies.