Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Using a 180mm mono mini caliper with an adapter and a 200mm mono m4 rotor??
  • chazman
    Free Member

Hi all,

I am looking to change my forks and they nearly all use post mount brakes and all mine are IS standard so would need to use an adapter which would mean using a 20mm larger rotor. I was wondering if I could use my current mono mini which is 180mm (or whatever the exact figure is) with my 200mm mono m4 rotor, are they compatible?

Or alternatively another couple of questions of things I have not tried before can I use the 160mm rear brake caliper with the front 180mm rotor with the adapter mono minis? and the same for the 180mm rear mono m4 brake with the 200mm front mono m4 front rotor?

Thanks for the help,

Chaz

richcc
    Free Member

Chaz. I've just had the same problem having changed my forks. I used the Hope adapter and a 203mm disk. I had to add a small washer between the fork and adapter to push the caliper away from the disc and allow wheel to turn but setup works very well.

Due to supply problems with shop, I ended up getting an adapter off classifieds which arrived same day as my one from shop! If you want my spare adapter then you can have it for £8 posted

coatesy
    Free Member

Both the Mono Mini and Mono M4 use the same rotors, a 200mm is the one to use for an IS caliper. If you swap a caliper from rear to front, you add 20mm to the rotor size, so you're in the same situation if you try to use your 160mm on the front.

prettygreenparrot

I've done the same thing with my mono M4. Had a 180mm calliper. added the adapter and washers as richcc describes. Fastened up the calliper onto the adapter. Aligned the calliper and tightened up the bolts into the fork. OK so far. We'll see how this dinner plate-sized 200mm disc fares on the Sam Houghton this weekend.

chazman
    Free Member

That is good stuff, thank you guys, sounds like it should be a little less hassle to get the set up I need than I originally thought.

Rich, Thanks for the offer but I think I am ok for one when the time comes.

Thanks again,

Chaz

tinsy
    Free Member

Did you blokes struggle getting to the post mount bolts? My M4 is tricky to set using the play on the post mount bolts as you cant get the key straight into the hex.. Ball end keys helped no end.

richcc
    Free Member

Mine was fairly straightforward with mini mono. Suspect the m4 is a bit bulkier and restricts access

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Using a 180mm mono mini caliper with an adapter and a 200mm mono m4 rotor??’ is closed to new replies.