Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • USE Suspension Seatpost?
  • benz
    Free Member

Looking to provide a bit of additional comfort on one of the family bikes.

I really like USE products and note their suspension posts. Any feedback?

Not really stealth…but, if anyone has one surplus they wish to sell, then I’d be interested 🙂

Thanks in advance.

I bought one (XCR) in the ’90’s for my Kona – it’s still on there. It definitely does a job of smoothing things out.

Not for sale though

zippykona

Essential for any hardtail if you ask me.
    I’ve even got one on my fat bike.
    Really helpful on rooty climbs as well, as you can keep your weight where it should be.

twonks

I’ve got a 27.2 diameter one I believe.

Can have a look for it if you’re interested.

defblade
    Free Member

I’ve got an old 27.2mm Alien suspension seatpost… the clamp is fiddly to use but never, ever, shifts. I’m sure it’s picked up some play (or stiction?) which makes it jerk occasionally when riding, but I’ve never been able to reproduce it in the garage to check.

I was typing out to offer it to you for something nominal as I’ve not used it for a while now, but – sorry! – I just went down to the garage to check on it and see what bits I actually had, and discovered it came with servicing instructions (I’ve still got the box from 20-odd years ago!), so actually you’ve inspired me to take it apart and try and sort it out instead to use on my current road bike!

As I appear to still be quite attached to it despite the small issue, I’d have to say it’s probably worth getting one 😉

benz
    Free Member

Thanks – that would be much appreciated.

dyna-ti

The version that has the kind of coating on it that looks like a fork stanchion, I found it slipped in the post clamp, and i really didnt want to do it up super tight. The standard ano version would be ok.

Expect a rattly saddle though, theres always got to be play in it for the suspension thing to work.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’ve one on my Escapade. Works really well, no play or rattles. I don’t really understand the above comment – suspension forks don’t rattle, why would a suspension seatpost?

dyna-ti

The part that goes up and down, ie the suspension part of it needs to be , well not loose in its bushing, but needs to be free to move. What i found with USE one is that looseness equated to a bit of side to side play too. Hence the saddle, ‘rattles’ slightly.

Its not dissimilar to that bit of side to side play you get on a dropper.

Clear.?

lovewookie

I’ve got two, an old SX inline one and a XCR Sumo.

the SX is smooth and very little detectable play, the XCR was a bit wobbly so I serviced it last night and it’s smooth and now has no play.

both are on bikes, one on my crappy lanes bike and one on my hardtail.

I really like them, have been using them on an off for years and prefer them to the parallelogram types.

defblade
    Free Member

OK, so cleaned mine out and re-lubed it, and went for a quick 10 miles or so.

It’s lost that stiction, but has too little (I think it’s zero) offset for my new bike (tbh, I think the OE post has 10mm and I could really do with 25mm as the saddle’s right back on that), so @Benz – drop me a message if it doesn’t work out with Twonks.
    Mine’s 25mm + shim to 27.2, and I have the original yellow medium elastomers unused (but still greased) along with the purple heavy lad ones fitted in it.

twonks

@benz Here we go.

The USE is not in as good a condition as I thought, although seems to function well.
    Found another one in better condition but a lot heavier – Post Moderne.

Both 27.2.
    USE is 260mm long, PM is 240mm long (insertion depth)

£15 each posted or £25 for them both. (PP Gift and I’ll donate half whats left to STW Towers after postage)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.