• This topic has 86 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mlke.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Use of the word "Attack" in mtbing – wtf?
  • jimmyshand
    Free Member

Can people explain the use of terms like "attack position" or "attacking the trail" etc. Personally I just ride my bike and ride over whatever I need to ride over to get to where I want to go – no attacking involved whatsoever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Engage MAXIMUM GNAR!

DrP

In the attack position, it's easier for me to reach for my sword/gun, or cover myself with my shield.

Obvious isn't it…..
    😉

DrP

viv
    Free Member

I get into the attack position before some high octane action

…..

I remember the BBC once described a debate as high octane…… please.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Maybe the participants had been sniffing high octane fuel. Would kind of explain a few things.

nickjb
    Free Member

While 'attack' might not be the best word I ride lots of different ways. Sometimes mincing, sometimes plodding, sometimes just riding along, every now then I really put some effort in. It is all riding but its not all the same.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

It's just a state of mind using language like that, means your pumped and ready to ride 😛

crazy-legs

no attacking involved whatsoever

Well clearly you're not riding *aggressive* XC then like the marketing men tell you you should be. In fact your riding might be termed Jey-Lite-Bimblecore…

😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Here is what one might call a classic 'attack' position.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Crazy_legs – marketing men are somewhere between politicians and bankers in my book.

loddrik
    Free Member

Is that pic at the top of leith hill….

jhw
    Free Member

It's the hill at Monterey – so might as well be

cynic-al
    Free Member

"hard hitting" is my current favourite.

loup
    Free Member

Sorry <hangs head in shame> When you're a beginner and you're just pootling along and then ahead of you, you see a rocky bit that you're currently going too slowly to get over, so you turn your cranks a bit quicker to increase your speed to get over the obstacle, so you don't stop half way and topple sideways. What do you call that?

crazy-legs

What do you call that?

"Riding a bike"
    or (if it all goes wrong)
    "Crashing"

Simples. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

What you are having trouble with here is the concept of metaphor. It makes our language wonderful, you should try using it sometime.

Attacking means trying extra hard on something in the short term. The word is used to evoke ferocity and determination.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Molgrips, it is you that is having difficulty with the idea of a metaphor. You remind me of a pube on the toilet bowl. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Don't make me invoke Dunning Kruger again jimmy!

geetee1972
    Free Member

LOL at Crazy Legs.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

molgrips – It would be the perfect illustration for my metaphor if you did. Maybe wait a while though, just like a stubborn pube would do.

retro83
    Free Member

Maybe wait a while though, just like a stubborn pube would do.

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I fail to see your point re metaphors. So by admitting my incompetence I am exempt from Dunning Kruger. So there, work that one out

cookeaa

To be fair I can remember the term being used to describe riding by the likes of Tomac and Herbold "Back in the Day" so it's hardly a new phenomenon….
    I can't see that mush wrong with it, to me it describes a committed, aggressive riding style… Seems like a reasonable concise description to me…

philfive
    Free Member

big sign up at kirroughtree skills area shows you the "attack position" 🙂

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Molgrips – being a skilled person I too am exempt from Dunning Kruger.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Less of a mouthful than the "be prepared for whatever may be position"?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

To be in attack position you just have to be really into what you are doing and you subconsciously look the part. Whereas most software developers slouch I once saw one in attack position just like the rider above.

Kal
    Free Member

You remind me of a pube on the toilet bowl.

That's just classic!!! pmsl

singlespeedstu

To be fair I can remember the term being used to describe riding by the likes of Tomac and Herbold "Back in the Day" so it's hardly a new phenomenon….

And even further back in the day it was a term used by the great David Bailey*. 😉

* clicky

molgrips
    Free Member

You remind me of a pube on the toilet bowl.

Slight rip off of Red Dwarf there…

Kahurangi

This is quite clearly an issue of perspective.

You are a weekend warrior at a trail centre.

You think you be "attacking the trail"
    To a more experienced rider; you are "mincing"
    To the casual passer by; you are "falling off"
    As you tell your mates afterwards; you were "hooning*"

* may be replaced with "owning"

Kahurangi

p.s. jimmyshand – that is quite clearly a simile. Back to school for you.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Oh – I sense that this may be the beginning of the end for the aforementioned pube. Are we talking walk to the toilet or unzipping point though?

jimmyshand
    Free Member

JonT – there is a mixture of simile and metaphor up there

Kahurangi

Sorry, should have been clearer

You remind me of a pube on the toilet bowl

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Ok. English always was a weak subject of mine. But then so was pedantry. 🙄

psilocybe
    Free Member

my wife did spinning, as far as i know the attack position would be bum off the seat and body leaning forward over the bars as to simulate attacking a hill climb,

jahwomble
    Free Member

I "careen" more than "attack"

user-removed
    Free Member

geetee +1 It's getting into the mindset whereupon you get your head over the bars and feel no fear on a descent. Or even if you do, you do it anyway.

When I started my abortive career in snowboarding, my instructors were forever telling me to "…attack the hill". It took me a while, but there is something about putting your head before the rest of your body which; a) inspires massive, high-pitched-singing fear and b) once you're used to it, feels utterly natural and generates confidence.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Poised and committed to overcome all obstacles.

How'd I do?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Use of the word "Attack" in mtbing – wtf?’ is closed to new replies.