Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Usb charger woes….slow charging..
  • DrP

We’ve had a few double plug/USB wall sockets installed around the house, as really most things are usb nowadays (phones, tablets).
    However, when plugged in my phone (one plus) charges so slowly, sometimes it actually discharges..
    I THINK the phone is trying to be clever and thinks it’s connected to a laptop, so limits the draw (plug is 2.1amp).

Would this be the case? Any fixes?

DrP

bruneep

cheap cable or genuine?

kimbers

Yeah correct charger and cable?

DrP

Well the charger is the actual wall socket..as in its a double socket with 2 usb ports on it.
    Cable is one of the many I’ve used without issue in the past..
    It’s just the wall socket is new..

DrP

Stoner
    Free Member

is the wall socket a recognised CE marked brand, or one of the increasing number of Chinese cheapos?

Ive had no problems with one of these
    http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/14888/Connekt-Gear-2-Way-Gang-13A-UK-Mains-2-x-USB-Socket-Faceplate/

Connekt appear to be one of the original brands.

DrP

P

dantsw13

What are the charge rates of the USB sockets? I have a multitude of iPhone/iPad chargers, but using the iPhone ones for an iPad gives a dreadful charge rate.

DrP

Sparky fitted it when doing the rest of the house.
    I might ask him to take them back, or at least see what they are…

DrP

bruneep

try the cable and charger in a 3 pin socket to make sure they are ok. I’ve had genuine cables die on me.

I have an app on phone that tells me charge rate.

jam1e
    Free Member

Check out PortaPow usb cables. They do charge only cables (i.e. they aren’t wired up to do data transfer) and they are very quick at charging.

DrP

Same cable in a plug in usb charger is working a treat.
    So it’s the wall socket usb/phone marriage that’s the issue.
    Hnm….

DrP

mrbiker473
    Free Member

The one plus has to be charged via the mains plug and cable supplied, any other variation and it will take hours to charge. Nothing you can do.

CraigW
    Free Member

You could buy a cheap USB current/voltage meter off Ebay. Then try plugging in a few different things, and see what sort of current you get from the socket.

Some older/cheaper USB sockets are limited to 500mA. Which is not very useful for modern phones or tablets etc

Russell96

USB cable getting worse over time, install a battery charging app on your phone that displays the current, it’ll most likely be lower than the max supported by the phone. So then bin that cable and get a new one.

popstar
    Free Member

Latest smartphones have “fast charge” tech incorporated batteries. They charge in super quick times but at different current rates. Standard sockets dish out juice at 1.0amp, while newer OEM sockets will feed energy between 1.5-3.0amp hope it helps to explain your mysteries.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Since the latest update my one plus one will only charge at max rate when it’s connected to its original psu.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a MK double socket with twin USB in the kitchen, it’s rated at 2 amps total for the two sockets, cheaper brands may not be.

DrP

So the usb wall socket is rated 2.1 aH…
    I plugged in a random (Hudl) plug in usb socket, with a random usb cake – all charged fine.. (so the one plus can use any plug/cable).

I THINK the error is in the wall socket – the phone must think it’s a laptop and limit the draw.
    Oh.

DrP

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

is there anything else plugged into the other usb sockets at the same time as it may be sharing the output. My in car usb charger stopped charging my phone coincidentally after upgrade to 28k pre CM12. I darent apply any more updates.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Usb charger woes….slow charging..’ is closed to new replies.