Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • USA Car hire – car big enough for 2 adults and 2 bikes in the back?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Last year we got stung at the airport having rented an intermediate SUV which turned out to be way too small to carry both our bikes. We were upgraded to a Chevy Traverse, dont know what class of car it was, but it was expensive and only did about 17 mpg.

Anyone rented recently and got some good advice on the minimum size of car we’ll need? Just 2 of us, 2 bikes and a couple of suitcases. Ideally I dont want to have to break the bikes up to carry them, as we’re moving round a lot.

cheers

robdob
    Free Member

I ordered (and got) a Ford Edge when I went to Nevada/Utah. Got both of us and our bikes in it no problem, would have been plenty of space for luggage too. Got around 22mpg average which is equivalent (when you take into account the size of their gallon/exchange rates) to the cost of 44mpg in the UK. IIRC it had a 3.7l v6 in it and all the luxuries and was ace to drive!

Creaky

When I was in the States I hired a Ford E150 van, which is the equivalent of a Transit. Obviously not very classy but it had loads of space for a fully assembled bike and other stuff and I could sleep in the back which avoided the need for a tent when I was camping. It was cheaper to hire than a large car as well.

mattstreet

Had a Ford Edge too, put about 4000 miles on it over a month and like robdob thought it was great. Wasn’t carrying bikes, but plenty enough space for all camping gear and I reckon bikes would fit no problem. Very comfy, good drive (just 2WD version), very well kitted out, reasonable mpg, and not so mahoosive to be unparkable!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks guys, what class of SUV is a Ford Edge? For the period I’m going for it will cost me £300 extra for full sive vs mid size.

Creaky, who did you hire then van from?

Creaky

Enterprise in Boston.

tonyg2003

I’ve hire Traverse and Edge’s before. The Edge is a bit more “estate” than the Traverse. However they are both big and fairly thirsty. You probably want a mini-van (people carrier to you and me) if you want to carry bikes. Just don’t expect economical. Everything in that SUV/Minivan class is v6/v8. You can occasionally get a hatch like a Focus but it’s really rare. I’m in Michigan today, driving a Toyota Avalon saloon. It’s a big saloon (think BMW 5-7 series). You could probably get two bikes in the back with the back seats folded down.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘USA Car hire – car big enough for 2 adults and 2 bikes in the back?’ is closed to new replies.