Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • US purchase "disappeared"
  • onehundredthidiot

So I ordered a watch from the US and it was sent promptly. It has a tracking for 5th December leaving the states but nothing since.
    The US company have said that UK customs and mail service are in charge on this side of the pond. But I have no idea how long or who is responsible in UK. But last email recieved no answer.

So how long do I leave it or what so I do? Paid through PayPal.

nickdavies

nickdavies

Give it a couple of weeks. You don’t get cross border tracking unless it’s the same courier door to door, as far as the us shipping co are concerned it’s delivered.

I’ve had stuff sent like that and about 7-10 days I’d say.

If it’s an expensive watch you may well get a letter asking for the duties and vat first.

dovebiker

Your delivery will probably be given a new ‘GB’ consignment number when it arrives in the UK – check the details of the US courier tracking? Try putting the ‘GB’ consignment number into Parcelforce tracking – most of the stuff I buy from abroad comes with them. It’s probably waiting to clear customs, in case they’ve put $50 value on a Rolex…you’ll probably get a card through the door saying you’ve got fees to pay.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Your contract is with the seller, not anyone in their delivery chain. Don’t let them fob you off – they haven’t delivered until it is in your hands.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s only been 7 working days, and yes, you’ll probably get a ‘you owe us money’ card from Royal Mail. Which courier did the seller use?

onehundredthidiot

USPS I.dont mind the vat. Just annoyed that the Christmas present might not make it. Even with a months lead time. I know it’s 7 working days but usps tracking stops on the 5th and nowt from UK side.

Poopscoop

Just had a leather case arrive for a car alarm remote (yes, they exist!Lol) from the states.

Yes, it went into limbo once on these shores but did turn up ok. Had no taxes to pay which probably soed it up a little.

Interestingly, it was my first “import” to have been opened by customs… and then messily resealed with parcel tape. 😀

rmacattack
    Free Member

somebody in customs just got their christmas present.

Saccades
    Free Member

Had a lot of watches go missing via USPS to here, all show up way later than expected.

Have gained 2 watches that way for free as was refunded and when told the company that the watch had turned up it was worth the bother of returning they said.

Which is nice.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Op…was it Torgoen?

wiggles
    Free Member

Just had a delivery from the US with £4.80 customs charge which is fine as the item is not available anywhere else anyway, but they charge £8 to charge me £4.80…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep it costs the same to process a small or a large claim. £8 is probably 15mins for somebody to deal with including the infrastructure & systems.

Don’t worry it will probably be much more common soon.

onehundredthidiot

Aye torgoen. Going to give them until Monday to send a sensible reply before I start with unimpressed emails.

plumber
    Free Member

typically 1 week to 6 weeks in customs with no hope of contact at all

you just have to wait

That’s my experience anyway

torsoinalake
    Free Member

My order from them should be here today. Got a card on Wednesday saying I had money to pay. Also shipped on the 5th (standard shipping). However, I would imagine there is quite a pile of watches waiting to clear customs, so bit of patience might be required.

onehundredthidiot

Well update is they’ve refunded the money. The international tracking has fallen over.
    But bloody hell torgoen have pretty poor communications. But quick in refunding.

Cougar

On about buying watches,

A friend of mine is currently in a battle with Selfridges over a watch bought as a Christmas present. The package turned up, a watch box with no watch inside it, someone’s stolen it. Selfridges aren’t giving much of a toss beyond saying they’re “investigating.” It’s a £750 TAG… 😯

scaredypants

Blimey. Did the bag say “another great TAG watch from Selfridges” ?

roger_mellie

Just for info, I’ve successfully in the past had ‘admin’ charges waived by the company on the UK side processing the customs duty, by challenging the invoice as per the template text on this link.
    Its explained better on the link, but basically, you didn’t agree to pay, or were made aware of, any admin fees when you bought the item (separate to the actual customs duty) so they can’t reasonably claim that cost back from you.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘US purchase "disappeared"’ is closed to new replies.