Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • US Navy: Innovative new way to kill people
  • allthepies
    Free Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/13/32mj_railgun_test_onr/

That’s some gun!

“potentially offering 200 mile range with projectiles striking at Mach 5, before trying to build an actual weapon”

😯

CountZero

Hardly innovative. William Gibson described a blimp mounted railgun using chunks of ice to destroy a research facility in Arizona in his book Neuromancer, published in 1982. They’ve been trying to perfect the tech for nearly thirty years or so. One day they’ll get it sorted. A high power railgun lobbing ten kilos of ice at orbital velocities would be like using a suitcase nuke but without the unpleasant fallout issues. Instant urban renewal.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Got to like the pig latin motto on the end credits

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

How does it actually work? I don’t understand it.

druidh
    Free Member

Targetting might be an issue.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Hardly innovative. William Gibson described a blimp mounted railgun using chunks of ice to destroy a research facility in Arizona in his book Neuromancer, published in 1982.

Pah. Gibson is hardly original. Robert Heinlein’s The Moon is a Harsh Mistress featured a rail gun in 1962.

druidh
    Free Member

And it was first patented in 1922. A full century before we see one in operational service?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Arthur C Clarke described a railgun as the launch system for a reusable, orbital spacecraft in 1949 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

I bet someone can beat 1922.

midlifecrashes

Dan Brown describes a late mediaeval tapestry depicting a rail gun held in a secret chamber in the Vatican in Angels and Demons

CountZero

Elfin, it uses magnetic induction to propel an object at high velocity, but it requires a lot of power, or else room temperature superconductors to get the velocity, and the projectile needs to be in a discarding sabot so you could use just about anything as it’s kinetic energy that does the damage. Gibsons version uses a chunk of ice travelling at 17000mph; meteoric velocities. You could level central London with around 20Kg of supercooled ice.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

*chuckles*

Jules Verne 1865ish?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A super-high-velocity gun, operating on electrical energy instead of an explosive propellant, has been a minor scientific dream for some time. The idea is not new; for it was tried by the French in World War I.

So I guess that beats 1922.

http://greyfalcon.us/Electric%20Cannon%20Uses%20No%20Gunpowder.htm

CountZero

Actually I’d forgotten Clarke, as I haven’t read the book in a long while, whereas I regularly re-read all of Gibson’s books, and actually met him in Brighton at a Worldcon. Lovely bloke.
    I digress, interestingly, Mach 8, 5280mph, or 2722.32 m / s, is the speed that Aurora, the SR-71’s alleged replacement supposedly flies at. Probably no correlation there, but it might be the only weapon that could shoot one down.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘US Navy: Innovative new way to kill people’ is closed to new replies.