Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • US Ambassador Killed in Libya?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

How to kill a rational peasant

Good article from Adam Curtis about how the US Military revived the tactics that failed in conflicts from Algeria in the 50s through Indo-China in the 60s until they were finally abandoned in the 80s. It’s called ‘counter-insurgency’.

wrecker
    Free Member

Hmmmm. The original theory of “Counterinsurgency” seems very similar to our own “hearts and minds”. A strategy which has worked in operations for decades. NOt one which was employed in any form in Libya though, not sure what the connection is?

noteeth
    Free Member

Is Anokdale still over there?

MSP

“hearts and minds”. A strategy which has worked in operations for decades

It’s worked when broadcast on British and American TV, not sure it’s worked in any real way on the ground where its meant to.

konabunny
    Free Member

Who’d want to be the US President during this mess?

i can haz oval office kthxbai

Lifer
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    not sure what the connection is?

Well people have been discussing the wider region and scenarios so thought I’d chuck it in.

Hmmmm. The original theory of “Counterinsurgency” seems very similar to our own “hearts and minds”. A strategy which has worked in operations for decades.

eg?

wrecker
    Free Member

Started in Malaya IIRC. Used extensively by “smaller” units. Very much different to the US heavy handed approach to civilians.

Junkyard
    Free Member

can there be a better sight for humnanity [and god] and a demonstartion of the tolerance of religion that the three children of Abraham [ chrsitain, jew and muslim] doing this …madness.

Stores for further evidence when told I have to tolerate religion

oh and this is worth repeating

wwaswas – Member
    I don’t know who to feel more irked with – the stupid people who’ll kill for some perceived insult to a dead bloke or the pillocks who make the insult in the first place knowing the reaction previous efforts have had.

Either way, it’s desperatly sad that anyone dies as a result really.

Lifer
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Started in Malaya IIRC. Used extensively by “smaller” units. Very much different to the US heavy handed approach to civilians.

Lots of debate eg here about the effect the ‘hearts and minds’ campaign actually had on the communist defeat (compared to other tactics), any other examples?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Isn’t killing an ambassador and trashing an embassy/consulate technically an act of war under international law? Having said that it wasn’t state sponsored.

wrecker
    Free Member

No. I see where you’re going with this and I CBA with an argument.
    Well done for finding a link which perpetuates your opinion though.

deviant
    Free Member

Nuke the middle east, its a hole anyway….we’d be doing the world a favour.

Then tell African states to get their houses in order or they’ll get the same treatment….

….see, international politics is easy.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Having said that it wasn’t state sponsored.

You know for a fact that no Benghazi governmental structures were involved in the attack ?

Libya: Al Qaeda flag flown above Benghazi courthouse

Lifer
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    No. I see where you’re going with this and I CBA with an argument.
    Well done for finding a link which perpetuates your opinion though.

Wasn’t difficult to find, just typed ‘hearts and minds malaya’ into Google and the front page is about 50% articles called things like:

The Myth of Hearts and Minds in Malaya

Well done for just stating something as fact then running away when asked about it.

bwaarp
    Free Member

It doesn’t exactly have a proper state does it? I doubt their government has the wherewithal to carry out such an attack. Funny how a seemingly well planned attack took place on the anniversary of 9/11 though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s true that Libya does not appear to have a proper functioning government. But there are structures which the US, UK, etc, recognises as being the legal Libyan government.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well done for just stating something as fact then running away when asked about it.

I’m not running away, I just can’t be bothered with your usual bullshit.
    I know you’d love to spend an afternoon frantically googling so that you can win at the internet. Frankly your opinion means less than nothing to me and as such, I CBF to try to prove a point to you. bye.

binners

I’m voting for deviant to replace Kofi Annan.

When are the elections?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I doubt their government has the wherewithal to carry out such an attack.

Wouldn’t it just require supplying personnel and weapons ? How complicated was the attack ?

And the people now in power in Benghazi have managed a few previously successful military operations. That’s how they managed to achieve power.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Frankly your opinion means less than nothing to me and as such, I CBF to try to prove a point to you. bye.

This would have been so much more convincing if you had not bothered to reply to his point TWICE

mcboo
    Free Member

Oh FFS here we go with conspiracy theories. Ernie give it a rest.

American diplomats die at the hands of a baying mob of religious nuts. This is not the fault of America, still less the people who lost their lives.

And Lifer, what the hell are you on about. Malaya! What?

kimbers

I dont really see any conspiracy theories even from ernie

the west helped arm the militias, now the war is over the country is full of machine guns and rpgs just like those used in the attack on the embassy

its all depressingly familiar

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mcboo – Member

Oh FFS here we go with conspiracy theories. Ernie give it a rest.

WTF are you on about ? Do you even know yourself ?

I haven’t made any “conspiracy theories”.

I have simply suggested that no one is in a position to be certain who was responsible for the attack. Although apparently you seem to think you know ?

Perhaps you can enlighten us and also let us know who was behind the attacks in Tripoli a few days ago mcboo ? Since you’re clearly so well informed.

mcboo
    Free Member

Like you I’ve got no idea. I dont go making idle speculation though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I dont go making idle speculation though.

What, and I have ?

bwaarp claimed : “it wasn’t state sponsored”

To which I responded : “You know for a fact that no Benghazi governmental structures were involved in the attack ?”

Explain how this constitutes “idle speculation”.

I provided a link to the Daily Telegraph which showed Al Qaeda’s influence in the Benghazi institutions.

Furthermore a couple of weeks ago Sufi Muslim graves in the centre of Tripoli were bulldozed in a sectarian attack. The Libyan interior ministry has been blamed for this and security forces stood back watching and doing nothing.

No one can say with complete certain whether any attacks in Libya do or do not involve government agencies or members of the security forces. The situation there is extremely chaotic and violence widespread.

loum
    Free Member

Storming a foreign embassy, who’d do that?

binners

This all seems to be getting a bit silly now

British and German embassies stormed in Sudan

What on earth has it got to do with us and the Germans? They’re an angry bunch, these Islamist, aren’t they? Do you think its something to do with the whole beard thing?

They’re like the collective version of those beardy blokes who drink Special Brew and shout at buses. I’m just wondering whether supplying the middle east with loads of Special Brew would calm or inflame the situation.

Might be worth a try

mcboo
    Free Member

So in retrospect, it seems it was yet another well planned Islamo-Fascist attack on Westerners, on September 11th no less.

I pick a side and I choose America.

kimbers

They’re like the collective version of those beardy blokes who drink Special Brew and shout at buses.

singlespeaders?

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘US Ambassador Killed in Libya?’ is closed to new replies.