Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Urgent PSA – for those in the real world
  • twentyniners
    Free Member

Reactor 2 at Fukushima 1 has fractured….

sharki
    Free Member

Bad times.
    🙁

thefallguy
    Free Member

Not great news, more sorrow for a nation at an all time low, I really hope it’s not another Chernobyl

racefaceec90

😯

twentyniners
    Free Member

Agreed, it’s bad enough already without things getting worse.

Thoughts etc…. It’s unbelievable….

alexxx
    Free Member

Oh ffs 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

Doom, doom, doom.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There’s no need to take the piss aracer, its not exactly as if everything is under control and everyone knows what’s coming next.

Of course there’s no point worrying either – that won’t help.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sky News just this second:

“Japan Disaster
    On Tv, On Mobile, Online.”

I dunno, something just doesn’t feel right there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And a third explosion. Oh Jeebus. How shit can it get for them?!

iDave
    Free Member

they’re still expecting another big aftershock. just been talking to my mate in Tokyo, wish he’d just get on a flight out of there.

aracer
    Free Member

There’s every need to take the piss, ernie. I don’t suppose it’s particularly urgent for anybody on here, and even less so for all the folks in Japan who’ve lost their homes, or their loved ones. You do remember all those people in Japan who are suffering, a very small proportion of whose suffering is in any way related to a nuclear power station? Yet the big story is the nuclear plant which won’t result in another Chernobyl and is unlikely to result in a single more death, whatever the nuclear power doom-mongers might claim.

And a third explosion. Oh Jeebus. How shit can it get for them?!

I doubt very much that part of a building which pays no real part in the containment of nuclear material being destroyed in an explosion makes the slightest difference to the shitness for most Japanese people in the area.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yet the big story is the nuclear plant…..

That’s because the nuclear plant is an ongoing story – the earthquake and tsunami were last week’s stories…..that’s how news works.

The other reason a story makes the headlines is how “expected” it is. Everyone, to an extent, expects earthquakes in Japan. An earthquake half the magnitude in Paris, would have got much more coverage – no one expects earthquakes in Paris…….that’s how news works. The same goes for tsunamis, which unsurprisingly, is a Japanese word.

Contrast that, to the fact that no expects nuclear power stations to go tits up…..what do you expect to make the news headlines ?

The other thing which concerns people, again unsurprisingly, is how much a news story effects them, eg, 60 people getting blown up by a suicide bomber in Baghdad will not get anywhere near the same coverage as 6 people getting blown up by a suicide bomber in London will get.

Yeah, sure, many have died due to the earthquake/tsunami story, but the nuclear story is more likely to affect people in Britain who feel unsure whether or not nuclear power is a good idea – they can’t do much about earthquakes or tsunamis, but they can oppose or support nuclear energy. There’s a perceived “need to know” element. Which is basically why you are so interested in the story aracer.

News provision might not always seem very “fair”, but the sheer quantity available means that individuals need to ration what they take in. And they also need to emotionally detached themselves to an extent, from a great deal of the more horrific tragedies – submerging yourself in sorrow and preoccupation does not necessarily help the victims or yourself.

aracer
    Free Member

So given all that, how come the reaction from most in this thread is “oh how awful this is for them”, rather than “ooh, I didn’t expect that”? The most interesting thing about this story is the way it’s portrayed in the media and the way the general public are lapping it up.

As I came in with, doom, doom, doom.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So given all that, how come the reaction from most in this thread is “oh how awful this is for them”, rather than “ooh, I didn’t expect that”?

What a daft comment.

aracer
    Free Member

Given you’ve just pointed out that it’s a story because of it’s unexpected nature rather than human suffering, and that is the tone of most of the posts on the thread, I’m just summarising. No problem at all with it being reported as a story, but the doom-mongering is a little tiring.

DOOM, DOOM, DOOM

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Given you’ve just pointed out that it’s a story because of it’s unexpected nature rather than human suffering

And yet I didn’t say that. I said that the “unexpectedness” was one important consideration. I suggested that it’s “a story” because it’s ongoing, ie, things are happening, new developments, etc. The earthquake and tsunami has happened, everyone now knows what happened, there is no further destruction to report, there isn’t much left to do other than count the dead and report the latest figures, now it is time to report on another big story.

I’m amazed I needed to explain that more fully to you aracer. But then of course I didn’t.

And as far as “the doom-mongering is a little tiring” yes it is a little tiring, although I’m finding this “it’s ok, everything is absolutely fine, the backup safety systems to nuclear reactors are suppose to fail, Fukushima is operating as it is suppose to, you are all thickos who know nothing about nuclear physics” even more tiresome.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m finding this “it’s ok, everything is absolutely fine, the backup safety systems to nuclear reactors are suppose to fail, Fukushima is operating as it is suppose to, you are all thickos who know nothing about nuclear physics”

Linky to where they’re saying that, ernie? I’m assuming with your liking of things being told straight that you couldn’t possibly be exaggerating for effect.

roper
    Free Member

aracer

What you fail to realise is the fear is causing suffering. Unfortunately most people aren’t as educated in this area as you think you are so it is causing a lot of extra suffering to what they are already dealing with. You posting doom doom doom is mocking that fear.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Containment is now admitted to be breached, there has been radioactive releases which will result in more cancers, its not under control yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12740843

organic355
    Free Member

Jesus you lot will argue about anything!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you couldn’t possibly be exaggerating for effect

Well I could be – because I often do. But in this case no, it has been suggested that the events had been predicted, there has also been the claim that those who are worried “didn’t go to school”.

However your suggestion that some people are predicting that we are all doomed, is of course an exaggeration for effect – no one, as far as I can see, is claiming that we are all doomed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m with aracer, but he’d better watch he don’t get banned for offending sensibilities. It’s clear even the worst case scenario will be nothing like Chernobyl or even the deaths directly resulting from the ‘quake.

The vicarious mass-grieving we see when anything bad happens in the world is a joke. At the fireworks a few years ago I remember a 1-minute silence for an event in which 50-odd developed country-inhabitants had been killed. I wonder how many Africans starved to death in 1 minute?

To me it’s lazy sympathising at best and self promotion at worst.

If it’s unnacceptable to someone to joke about it then logically any type of schadenfraude should also be unacceptable.

iDave
    Free Member

No we won’t. What EVIDENCE are you basing that on? It’s just your opinion isn’t it? Back it up please?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You make it sound as if that’s bad.

It takes a lot of skill to argue about absolutely nothing I’ll let you know.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

I’m with aracer

Now I’ve gone from feeling that aracer is acting like a ****, to feeling sorry for him.

cynic-al
    Free Member

personal insults = lost argument 🙄

In any event, how many people directly affected by the quake etc are likely to be reading this?

****-all, get off your high horse.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No sense of humour = tw*t

Personal insults are fun ………well worth losing an argument over.

binners

Its just an online version:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bugger, that’ll be another 50 years of coal fired power for us then.

stevie750

link

Have a look at this for a more technical less journalistic point of view

5thElefant
    Free Member

Bugger, that’ll be another 50 years of coal fired power for us then.

Can’t see why. The Japanese stations are a great example of how nothing serious happens in a worst case scenario. The odd fizzing power station is the least of their problems.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    No sense of humour = tw*t

Personal insults are fun ………well worth losing an argument over.

It was as clear that my post was humorous as yours…so how come you gripe at it? You should be laughing!!!

In any event it’s a bit of a shame aracer didn’t present his point in purely factual terms – then any aracer-haterz couldn’t be justified in criticising him.

DezB
    Free Member

I think the pointless bickering reactor is about to fracture

jon1973
    Free Member

who’s going to melt down first?

dickydutch

Ahhh good old STW.

aracer
    Free Member

The Japanese stations are a great example of how nothing serious happens in a worst case scenario. The odd fizzing power station is the least of their problems.

Don’t be so boringly factual.

Doom, doom, doom

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

In any event, how many people directly affected by the quake etc are likely to be reading this?

What about those indirectly affected?

coffeeking
    Free Member

The Japanese stations are a great example of how nothing serious happens in a worst case scenario. The odd fizzing power station is the least of their problems.

Indeed. Interesting, but much noise over what is a relatively low-impact problem, despite it being fairly catastrophic in nuclear power plant terms. All of the experts appear to be saying “it’s a problem but it’s not that much of a disaster, can’t see it getting much worse” (and more reactors isn’t worse, just larger) yet the news is baying for fallout and meltdowns so it has something to shout about.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    What about those indirectly affected?

Depends where you draw the line – if stw forum members are, then so is the whole world, so I’d say we aren’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Urgent PSA – for those in the real world’ is closed to new replies.