Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • URGENT! IT HELP REQUIRED
  • thenorth
    Free Member

mate had under c:\, 32gb called 'acer' and 32gb called 'data'

latter of which had nothing on and former was full

assumed this was a partition

told him to go to computer management and delete the 'data' partition

he has, and apparently c:\ is now only 32gb and full

what have i done?

all instructions given were over the phone and tbf, i'm not really that computer literate.

druidh
    Free Member

You've deleted the partition, so the PC can't see the other 32GB. You'd need to re-size and merge the partitions to "see" the extra 32GB.

jedi

i got a partition on my laptop. will it work better if i do the partition thing?

thenorth
    Free Member

onion, you sound liken you know stuff.

how do i tell him to resize it?

xx

druidh
    Free Member

You'll need some fancy software for that – and it's not without risks.

The safest mechanism is to recreate the Data partition and move stuff from the C: partition onto it – e.g. My Documents folder, and any Music/Photos/Videos. That will free up space in the C: partition. (This is good PC management anyway).

krag
    Free Member

If you go into computer managment, under disk management you should the the parition. Right click on it, "extend partition" fill to the max size and let it do its thing.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

You could buy a large capacity external HD and use that, they're pretty cheap now…

thenorth
    Free Member

apparently there's any option for 'extend volume' on 'acer' partition, is this the same as 'extend partition'??

he's using vista fwiw

thenorth
    Free Member

how could the partition be recreated?

apologies if this all sounds a bit *special*

thenorth
    Free Member

half sorted!

partition is back!

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Once the partition is back you just need to format it, then you will be able to copy data do it! Right click the drive and select format then follow instructions.

FuzzyWuzzy

You probably shouldn't be telling someone to delete partitions if you're not computer literate :p Sounds like he's back to the 2 old partitions, if he does desperately want just one big partition you can do it but would need to use a utility as you can't extend a system partition with the standard Windows diskpart.

uplink
    Free Member

How can it be a separate partition if both folders are in the root of C: ?

Shakey
    Free Member

I have extended the system partition in Vista using a combination of diskpart and disk management. It was a right pain though!

vinnyeh

Download the trial version of Acronis Disk Director. Among the tools is one to manage partitions quite easily- it'll walk you through you the task of merging them if that's what you want to do.
    A warning- it'll show a small partition- can't remember what it's called, something recovery related- this holds some data necessary to restore the operating system and shouldn't be touched unless you know what you're doing….

iDave
    Free Member

[hijack]

SINCE WHEN has it been acceptable to send kisses to other forum members

onion, you sound liken you know stuff.

how do i tell him to resize it?

xx

Explanation, and someone call the cops

[/hijack]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘URGENT! IT HELP REQUIRED’ is closed to new replies.