Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Urge Enduromatic – experiences of crashing while wearing one?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I use a Giro Hex and a new Enduromatic, just for some variety. The feel really difference on your head, maybe mainly because the Urge helmet doesnt have a Roclock type retaining strap at the back. This actually makes it feel a bit precarious, though I have worn it one some pretty fast and rocky trails on my big bike without problems (though it does move around more).

where I really notice the movement is when riding my hard tail, the helmet jiggles about like crazy, doesnt really inspire me with confidence, so might go back to the Hex on xc type rides.

What do other people reckon, do they stay in place when actually call on to do a job? I’m sure I’ve got the right size, but maybe my head isnt really suited to this lid?

I’d also have liked lockable strap buckles like the Giro helmets have.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it’s moving around while you ride, it’s not going to stay still if you crash. Not that that is guaranteed with any helmet in reality.

ajantom

Maybe try one of the thicker pads that came with it, either front or back. Did with mine, and it suddenly felt a lot more secure.

Stevelol
    Free Member

You shouldn’t use it if it moves around, it should feel snug, are the straps tight? Mine fits very well and has stayed put during crashes.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Just messing around with the thicker pads now. Seems to stand to reason that it cant fit as snug though, without a rear strap. Feels more like a climbing helmet on my head than the Hex. I can tighten the chin strap, which always works loose pretty quick (you can tell where Urge saved some ££ in the build…)

Maybe I need to accept that it has to be tighter under my chin than a Giro etc

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why persist with it when it’s clearly a poor fit?

Accept it’s overpriced crap/not for you.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ll just throw it away now, unless you want it Al? I think I’ll bin my Revelations too, they were playing up yesterday. 😉

h4muf
    Free Member

I’ve got both a Hex and Urge. Hex now gathers dust.

neninja
    Free Member

The fit of a helmet is crucial. If you have a Giro shaped head it’s had to look past the Feature if you want a decent coverage helmet.

Mine’s the most comfortable helmet I’ve owned. Some great deals on them at the moment.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

OK, this has helped….

The front “Gansta” style pad needed to be fitted to that extended a little below the helmet shell, so that the Urge logo is exposed. This has made it feel much more stable.

Stevelol
    Free Member

that’s how it’s supposed to be 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

So you bought a helmet that doesn’t fit, because it’s trendy? And now you’re worried it won’t protect your head. Darwin, anyone?

Northwind

Urge helmets are a relatively big shell, they’re designed to be tailored to fit with the thicker pads. (which is good, you get a true custom fit… But the downside is if you can’t get it right it’s harder to return the helmet!)

A helmet needs to be secure… Always think a good test is how they deal with having lights or cameras on top, if they don’t stay where they’re put then they don’t fit.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Superficial, was that a question or statement? I asked a few questions, got some replies (some more helpful that others), then sorted the problem.

Heaven forbid that mountain biking should be tainted by any notion of style, taste or fashion….

wallop

+1 Giro Feature – really light and very, very comfortable.

nicksar
    Free Member

My Urge fits me superbly no movement and very comfortable, never had any issues with it.

BoardinBob

small/medium Urge Cabo Verde here. Way better fit than any bunch of bananas helmet I’ve owned and the best fit of any piss pot too. Straight out the box it is perfect and I didn’t need to tweak the pads

Northwind

Oh, meant to say in my last post- it’s possible to make an ill-fitting ratchety helmet stay in the right place and feel like it fits, just by ratchetting it up to the max. But it still doesn’t fit. The reason it’s harder to get an urge to “fit” is mostly because you can’t bodge it so easily.

scaredypants

tiny hijackette – do Features fit like Hexes then ?
    (I’d heard that newer Giros, like Xar, fit differently shaped heads)

MartynS

got an Urge All Mountain the other week.. best fitting, most comfortable helmet I’ve ever had.

its rock solid without the chin strap done up.. keep messing with the pads

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I tried a hex on in the shop and it fit, and I’ve definatly got a giro shaped head (a very big one, at most I’ve been one or two clicks of max on a Xen and E2).

I’m a long way off an urge fit though, shame as I wanted a archi, but they’re too short front to back.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Urge Enduromatic – experiences of crashing while wearing one?’ is closed to new replies.