• This topic is empty.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Urban Hill Climb – London – Sat 30th Sept
  • matts
    Free Member

Anyone else entered in this? Some pretty strong competition, including 2014 national hill climb champ Dan Evans. I think I’ll be lucky to break the top 10 again this year. Maybe I should just focus on the vets category. 🙄 #GettingOld

benp1

I’ve always been meaning to have a watch of this, what’s it like as a spectator? Unlikely to make it as I have my daughters party, but you never know

Just browsing their site, went to the Strava leader board… Top 10 place is 1m33, my time…. 2m55!! Which puts me almost smack in the middle of the leaderboard!

It’s a real leg burner, good luck!

matts
    Free Member

Top 10 place is 1m33

I know. That would be me. 😀

I think they’re putting on more stuff for spectators this year. And it’s a bit more condensed in the early afternoon to make it a bit more watchable.

Also, if you do go. Walk down from the top of the course and stand near the end of the big wall on the left of the road. Personally I think that’s where you get the best view of the riders in utter agony.

MrSmith
    Free Member

That’s a friend of mine Will on the poster, think he was 2nd or 3rd last year?
    I’ll be spectating again

matts
    Free Member

Yes. He was 4th on scratch, but 2&3 had gone so he was promoted to the final and so finished 2nd. We’ve both graduated to Old Gits this year. 😆

Kryton57

Our club are marshalling this, its great to watch. Im out on the club run ln the morning so Ill see if i can get spousal permission to come along.

oldtalent
    Free Member

LOL wut? Riding a bike up a hill? Sounds exceptionally dull!

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a 90 second sprint. It’s not uplift assisted mincecore lite, but luckily no one’s forcing you to do it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Word! It’s on a par with running, especially that thing over 100m in a straight line on the flat. What’s so good about that! Wut!?

brakes
    Free Member

I’ll probably go and spectate as it’s just round the corner from where I live.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve spectated, mates do this from the club and it’s been a while since I’ve seen them. All being well I’ll be there with my cowbells..

We do a Hills on early Weds mornings up that way and it’s always a laugh because it’s almost the end of the ride, if you do it right I makes you puke.

Kryton57

As njee says, it’s not easy:

Swains Lane – as recommended by Alex Blomeley

In short : Swains Lane is arguably the most famous climb in London. Nestled in-between Hampstead Heath and Highgate Cemetery, it’s an iconic spot for training. At the bottom are a handful of lovely cafés and as a reward at the top The Flask always has a fine selection of brews.

An average of 9pc over 0.6km means it’s not the longest hill in the land, but it definitely has a sting in its tail. The hill starts deceptively, with a gradual increases up to about 9pc, before a brief respite as you pass the entrance to the cemetery. It then rears up to its full 14% for 40 meters or so, before rolling off at the top.

Thirsty work.

What makes it tough? 14pc is pretty tough; you’ll want to be out of the saddle to power up an include like that. For me though, I would say the toughest part is just after the steepest section as it takes a lot longer than you might think to get back to flat. If you’ve dug too deep to get over the 14pc quickly this last bit is really going to burn.

How can I get to the top? A steady effort up the first section to get your heart rate going as you reach the cemetery entrance. A little spin of the legs, then refocus as you prepare for the main effort. Take some speed into the climb and then get out of the saddle. Try not to lean too far forward on the bike as when wet you’ll find your back wheel slipping at this gradient. If you can, ride just within your maximum effort so you can finish strong across the top.

What’s a good time? For this short climb section I’m currently 17th on Strava with a time of 1:56. I’d say that under 3.00 is good, sub 2:30 is very good and under 2 mins will put you in the top 25 (of 4700) on Strava.

matts
    Free Member

Well I’m off at 3:13 – Will be in a Finsbury Park CC skinsuit.

According to Strava I’ve been up there 198 times so far this year. I think that might be an unhealthy obsession.

funkrodent

Despite the fact that I originally hail from Muswell Hill, I’m ashamed to say that I don’t believe I’ve ever ridden up Swains Lane. Dartmouth Park Hill, Highgate Hill and of course Highgate West Hill are all ones that I am well acquainted with (not to mention the flask which we used to frequent when we fancied our chances with a higher class of young lady). Mental note made to ride Swains next time I’m in town. Good luck to anyone competing!

benp1

Well in fairness, even if you haven’t ridden Swains Lane, you’ve ridden up the same hill on all the parallel roads!

The only times I’ve ever ridden it is if I fancy a detour on my commute home, I usually head up the A1 as it the quickest (and easiest) way over the hill to get home

matts
    Free Member

All roads lead to Rome Highgate.

brakes
    Free Member

so true matts.
    Highgate West Hill is the only one I avoid, mainly because of the traffic.

benp1

There’s a nicer one than Highgate West Hill, and less steep that Swains, but it’s longer. If you chuck a left after the mini roundabout at the bottom then you go up the side of the heath, past all the fancy houses, it spits you out at the top. It’s longer, but it makes a nice change

I once tried to sneak onto the top of the heath on the footpath going this way, it was a muddy hell hole. Couldn’t get through, had to turn back. Completely forgot to try it in the dry! It’ll probably be muddy there already

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What makes it an ‘urban’ hill climb as opposed to just a hill climb ?

Do you have to dodge buses trying to run you down, pedestrians walking in to the road etc, or do refs say you have to wear a smog mask ?

Kryton57

Its located in a rather large City? Just guessing like… 🙄

Kryton57

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well you don’t see many ‘green belt’ ‘semi rural’ hill climb events do you 😆

matts
    Free Member

Its located in a rather large City? Just guessing like..

Indeed. Most UK hill climbs are out in the country. Quite unusual to have one in a city centre.

go up the side of the heath, past all the fancy houses

Millfield Lane & Fitzroy Park. I use that one quite a lot as well.

https://www.strava.com/segments/7515216

I also do loops alternating that and Swain’s. It’s called ‘Lungs’ on Strava.

https://www.strava.com/segments/14606835

I can’t comment on the loser who has the KOMs on those 2 segments…

benp1

Thems the ones… show off! 😀

Hmmm, my time for that first one is 5m01! I’ve never attempted that second one, sounds a bit like hard work

I reckon if I was doing it without my commuting kit, and on a proper bike and not a commuter with heavy tyres, rack, guards, D lock etc, I’d move up at least 10 places on the leader board…

I’m a professional mincer

sarpullido
    Free Member

I’m doing this sort of competition for first time and hope the one starting after me doesn’t catch me.
    I know this hill very well but looking at last year event results I expect being in the middle of the pack.
    Good luck all.

senorj

I’ve not been on here in ages … first thread i see is a local london Alps one.Result,& I happen to be in Highgate tomorrow lunchtime.
    Btw It’s much more pleasant if you take your time ,around 4 minutes i reckon. 🙂 , or, go over the heath via the ponds up to Jack Straw’s castle & a bit of cheeky over to the garden suburb.
    (I’m going to have to time myself now!ha.)
    Village deli make tasty sarnies btw.. 🙂

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

This is one of the events that I’ve always wanted to get time to come and spectate at but somehow work always gets in the way. Who’s of you a bit more in the know, is there going to be a live timing feed?

matts
    Free Member

I’m doing this sort of competition for first time and hope the one starting after me doesn’t catch me.

You’ll love it.

Well, you’ll hate every single agonising second of it, but then when you can finally see straight again you might feel an odd sense of exhilaration, which is nearly the same thing, right?

Then, for reasons you may never truly understand – or be able to reconcile in your own head – you will start to contemplate which other hill climb events you might enter in the future in order to revisit the same sense of utter mind-bending hell taken from the crushing embrace of Satan himself satisfaction.

Maybe that’s just me.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Some guy named Dan Evans won it apparently, anyone heard of him? 😆

matts
    Free Member

Nope. Maybe he’s a newbie? ¯\_(?)_/¯

Bit of a mess on the day with timing. They had some issues registering over the start line and I was initially given a time of 2:04 (I stopped my Garmin at 1:34). So a guy in the vets who did 1:38 was put into the final with Will.

I think the same thing happened to Bill Bell as now the final results are out, he is down in 2nd vet at 1:32, and I’m 3rd at 1:33 (16th overall).

Will, Bill, and myself were also within one second of each other last year in the senior competition, but all 1 second faster. Time waits for no man. 😆 🙄

Bec next week.

twowheels
    Free Member

2018 entries open in a few days.  I am tempted as it’s local and looks a good atmosphere from the video online.  Not done much training but would aim to over the next month.  Planning to use Langster.  Will drill out old chain rings next weekend to save weight (just kidding).  Not sure of gearing yet.  <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Did Cov CC’s Maxstoke Hill TT years ago for a laugh with no prep.  Used the Langster for that too and 42*16 worked fine.  However Swains has a ramp so will need to do some test rides!</span>

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Urban Hill Climb – London – Sat 30th Sept’ is closed to new replies.