• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Upstart Crow – Ben Elton Comedy
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Quite enjoying this comedy, was a bit unsure about Series 1 but in Series 2 the character acting & dialogue are superb.

Plus I get to feel a bit smug when I spot a clever/obscure reference. (But that doesn’t happen often.)

Series 1
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07bp62s

Series 2
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0959g36

pete68
    Free Member

Didn’t see season 1 but have just watched season 2. Really enjoyed it and a lot better than most new comedies. GOTS yara greyjoy looked completely different!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

S2 is on my current iPlayer list. Watched the first two episodes his week.

It’s improved over S1. Some very funny moments, and Kit is superb.

Drac

Keep meaning to watch it but not got around to it.

Sadly in these days of ‘comedy’ unless it has a man dressed as a woman or the main character is clumsy and can’t hold a relationship then it’ll not take off.

colournoise

Mark Heap’s performance is spot on and proper funny. As it is in pretty much everything he does.

Can David Mitchell really not even attempt a black country accent though?

aracer
    Free Member

Watched about 10 minutes of the first episode of series 1, didn’t laugh once, thought it was a bit rubbish and gave up. However I decided to try again with series 2, watched the first couple of episodes a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Will watch the rest and maybe go back and try series 1 again. I was wondering if I’d just missed the point originally, though comments above seem to agree with my impressions.

wallop

First watch for me tonight. Very funny! The scenes in his family kitchen are particularly good.

kelvin

Playing catch up on this series. Just watched ep4. Enjoyed them all so far.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Watched about 10 minutes of the first episode of series 1, didn’t laugh once, thought it was a bit rubbish and gave up. However I decided to try again with series 2, watched the first couple of episodes a few days ago and really enjoyed it.

That was my experience of it as well.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Skipped over it so far but all recorded, once the weather turns proper horrible I’ll then watch them all.

IHN

I like it, apart from Harry Enfield, who’s just too Harry Enfield.

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Harry Enfield and David Mitchell both pretty poor imo, otherwise it’s improved

edlong
    Free Member

I like it, the best thing Elton’s written for many years imho, and some great performances.

However, I think it would have been better with almost anyone other than David Mitchell in the lead role – his one-note “acting” is the weakest in the main cast.

kayla1
    Free Member

I really like it, and I quite like the fact it’s just David Mitchell playing himself.

kimbers

I’ve tried and tried (again last night) but it just didn’t tickle me

outofbreath
    Free Member

I like it, apart from Harry Enfield, who’s just too Harry Enfield.

It’s didn’t really bother me until you mentioned it, but now you’ve drawn my attention to it I think Enfield’s performance is going to spoil it for me a bit.

I really like it, and I quite like the fact it’s just David Mitchell playing himself.

This. I like Mitchell ‘appearing’ in it rather than ‘acting’ in it. He feels to me like a combination of the Bard & the modern viewing public – often saying what we’re thinking. However edlong’s post makes me wonder how it would be if a proper comic actor played Shakesphere and actually did some proper acting.

BigJohn

I’ve only just “got it” and look forward to it.

The bloke who just does a Ricky Gervais impression makes me laugh.

…and talking of impressions – have you seen the Jack Dee thing, where they move to the country and they do a complete nick of the “Margaret! Margaret!” sketch from Little Britain?

outofbreath
    Free Member

PSA: Series 3 was on in Oct. Available on iPlayer now. (I only just realized.)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Upstart Crow – Ben Elton Comedy’ is closed to new replies.