Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Uppy Downy seatpost things, worth it or a nightmare?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just thinking of splashing some money on an uppy downy seatpost, probably Gravity dropper as I’ve heard that these are reliable.

Any other opinions other than a nice reliable QR and raise and lower it like I currently do and save a heap of dosh?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I have a Joplin and I love it for ease – wasn’t sure whether I would use it or that it would even make much difference, but now after a year of using it I would find it hard to be without it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Joplin 4 has proved reliable, and maintenance and wiggle free for the last 9 months and still going strong. My GD lasted 3-4 years virtually maintenance free (and then snapped).

Either is a good bet. Not used any others, except the Joplin 3 which got very wiggly very quickly but was fine apart from that.

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

I’d say an emphatic yes. I’ve been using various uppy-downy seat posts for the last two years and absolutely love them. I still think there’s some issues to be ironed but still think it’s worth spending the money. There’s nothing on your bike that can have such an immediate, grin inducing improvement to your ride.

I’ve used the new joplin, ksi900r and x-fusion hilo. At the moment I would opt for a ksi900 if given a choice but am riding the hilo due to seat-tube diameter.

Hope this helps…

pastcaring
    Free Member

joplin 4 here to, 1 year old ridden through the winter still works great. stripped re-greased 3 times (takes 5 mins) make sure you get the remote, you’ll be surprised how much you use it.

not for every one! if your riding is long climbs and then long downhills, it may not be for you.

Northwind

Absolutely. Even my i900’s been worth it and it gave me a lot of teething troubles. The Gravity Dropper’s been almost nothing but positive, it’s proved more reliable than some normal seatposts have :mrgreen: Broke a bolt once, been serviced once (but didn’t really need it), been adjusted about 4 times.

popartpoem
    Free Member

Well worth it!

I’ve got KS adjustables on two bikes and they’re great.

My first was a lever-under-the-seat type. It was the older design that failed at first. It was exchanged via the LBS under warranty & has been perfect since (they replaced the inner workings for the updated stuff).

The second has a remote lever on the bars & is brilliant. I was suprised how much more I use it with the remote &, so far, there is no saddle slop on either of them (1st is just over 2 years old, 2nd is fairly new).

No going back 😛

backhander
    Free Member

I had/have a Joplin 4 which won’t fit in my new frame! Had no bother with it at all.
    I’m debating whether to buy another (j4, reverb etc) and currently undecided.
    do you raise/lower your post much? There is a weight penalty which is only worthwhile if you’re going to use the thing!

grum
    Free Member

Had a KSi900 – was great when it worked but ended up getting replaced under warranty (then sold). I have a GD Classic now which whilst fairly agricultural works a treat. I wouldn’t really be without one now – especially good if you like to try and ride fast/aggressively on descents imo.

nuke

I had/have a Joplin 4 which won’t fit in my new frame!

What size is you new frame’s seattube? I’ve a Joplin 3 and you just have to swap the black outer sleeve to change it between 30.9mm and 31.6mm…5 minute job tops. 2Pure can supply you a different sleeve

backhander
    Free Member

Thanks nuke, that’s great news!

ChrisL

I was impressed enough with my i900R that I got one for another bike. The first one went back to Superstar a couple of times but since then they’ve been well behaved. A mate got a Joplin 4 about a year ago and had been generally impressed with it until last weekend when it failed (not staying up, problems with the saddle clamping mechanism, loss of damping) and he got very annoyed with it.

Northwind, how many times have you had to service or fix Andrew G’s GD, though? 😉

Northwind

ChrisL – Member

Northwind, how many times have you had to service or fix Andrew G’s GD, though?

No fair, you know he can kill bike parts just by looking at them. He’s got the Bad Touch.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded from a Speedball (Joplin 3) to a Reverb and am a big fan. I would only get one with a remote control, as once I was used to it, I found I was dropping it all of the time. Some people waffle on about you not needing to drop the saddle all the time, but on a technical or steep section it can be a huge help.

I don’t have one on my HT and miss it when I’m riding that, but all of the 27.2 ones are too short for the frame sadly.

Digger90
    Free Member

Just to put the other side of the argument….

Have had a Gravity Dropper and Spesh Command Post. GD was reliable, Command Post was complete crap and cost a lot in repairs.

Search on here for ‘Reverb’… there’s a big thread covering all the problems the Reverb is suffering, with lots of STW’ers having had seal problems, manufacturing quality issues, returns, warranties yadda yadda yadda… the story goes on.

It didn’t sound like it’s ready for prime time yet – more like SRAM are doing Beta testing via consumers(!)

Deveron53
    Free Member

I still use a Breeze Hite-Rite…

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes worth having IMHO GD is the best for usage if not for looks. It is not a looker but it just works and works. you cannot see it sat on the bike so I am not sure why folk care so much. It is there to function not look nice. The GD does this far better than any other choice IMHO
    Others are prettier and plusher but more unreliable.

grum
    Free Member

You still selling that old one JY?

Junkyard
    Free Member

will mail you

Northwind

Deveron53 – Member

I still use a Breeze Hite-Rite…

Joe Breeze uses a Gravity Dropper 😉

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve had a GD in the past and now have a Reverb. The Reverb has only been on for 3 or 4 rides, so it’s too early to give an opinion on reliability, but it’s lovely and smooth to use and quality wise it’s head and shoulders above the GD.
    However, in over 2 1/2 years I had no issues with the GD, apart from the usual wee bit of wobble in the seat which isn’t noticeable when riding, and servicing wise it just needed a re-grease to to the moving parts a couple of times which was dead easy to do.

Trimix
    Free Member

I have found using one has really made my riding eaiser, safer, flow better and more fun.

I could not ride without one now. Ive a Reverb and reliability wise its been great.

clubber
    Free Member

worth it – yes
    a nightmare – more often than not, eventually, yes.

They’re very useful unless you’re a saddle up high all the time rider but empirically they do pretty much all seem to go wrong eventually (less so the GD) which can be a real pain.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Joe Breeze uses a Gravity Dropper

Not on this bike he doesn’t….

Northwind

ltheisinger – Member

Not on this bike he doesn’t….

OK, I use a gravity dropper but not on every bike I have! But that was from Repackrider, I reckon he’d know.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

OK, I use a gravity dropper but not on every bike I have! But that was from Repackrider, I reckon he’d know.

😀 Only jesting with you buddy 😀

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I totally agree, mine has blown it’s seals three times now and some other guys have had other problems with remotes. When they work they are sublime, but more than often they’re out of service. Typical American product mentality= ‘how fast can we get our product to the market, not, let’s take the product to market when it’s ready”…

thecrackfox
    Free Member

My Reverb popped a seal the week before last when I was doing a traverse of Scotlandshire, 35km into a 65km day. So they do go, mine is currently back with Fisher who suggested a 48 hour turn around for warranty work.

Lessons learnt: I should have bought the longer length (my frame would have taken it), so when it did go down I could have raised the seatpost and not had to ride 30km with my seatpost an inch too low.

I rode last night in the gopping rain without my Reverb and missed it on the wet rooty off camber descents.

So yes they are ace when they work, but if you can use a longer seatpost for emergencies that is best.

steveh

I had a GD for 6 months but got rid of it after I snapped it for the second time (one inner tube failed and one outer). They are nice and I’ll have another when someone actually makes a reliable one, which really shouldn’t be that hard!

warpcow
    Free Member

Has anyone added their own boot/cover, GD style? I’ve just taken a punt on a cheapy version (Procraft H-Lifter Remote) that seems well received, in Germany at least. I figure anything I could do to keep it running sweetly would be good. I’ll report back when I’ve used it a bit; on paper it certainly seems good and £50 cheaper than the nearest non-remote brand-name dropper post.

Northwind

I forgot to say… Regular seatposts fail too 😉

steveh – Member
    (one inner tube failed)

Sure I’ve asked this before but I can’t remember, was it a multi-drop? Not that impressed with the design of those, seems like an invitation to fail really.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I added a chains stay one to a Joplin. Worked ok if you remembered to remove and clean it as it could trap dirt in there as well. The fact it could be easily removed was a plus

nuke

This is what I did to my Joplin…

Basically its a shock boot off a pair of old Manitou SX forks. The diameter is almost perfect…it’s zip tied at the top then at the bottom, the ribbed bit forms a nice slot over the twist off nut bit but can easily be lifted to check for mud/water (Not that any has got in there). Works a treat.

warpcow
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m regretting taking an old Manitou fork to the tip last month. I even took the boots off beforehand, but ended up chucking them anyway.

I am pretty sure I have a spare chainstay protector somewhere though.

Thanks.

steveh

Sure I’ve asked this before but I can’t remember, was it a multi-drop? Not that impressed with the design of those, seems like an invitation to fail really.

Yes it was a multi drop version and it broke at the 1″ drop position on the first time it had ever been used. GD said they break there and the position can’t really be used.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

warpcow, I have one of these on my joplin, ziptied at the top for extra sealing. Have removed it and inspected under it and nothing has got thru, seals and inner shaft are perfect (like the look of the manitou boot though, very professional looking)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34471

hugor
    Free Member

Adjustable posts are the business and the best bang for buck upgrade you can make to your bike.
    I had an early generation Joplin which kept failing until it ran out of warranty. I’ve also had a GD which works perfectly after 2 years and has been very easy to customise with extra drop points etc.
    Unfortunately its on another bike which I no longer own 😳
    I’m now in the market for a new up-down post.
    I wouldn’t buy the Reverb after all the early failures I’ve seen around here. Strangely enough alot of people still seem happy with their purchase which explains why SRAM was happy to dish out shit quality untested product. Personally I’d rather ride with my reliable rigid post than have an adjustable one fail on me half way into an epic ride or holiday.
    I’ve now lost faith in all hydrolic posts and will only buy a mechanical one.
    I’m looking into this post
    Again it looks a little agricultural but its mechanical and very adjustable.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Uppy Downy seatpost things, worth it or a nightmare?’ is closed to new replies.