Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Uppy-downy droppy posts – The definitive bestest one?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Right, my old, battle worn KS Pure post has finally died. So, sitting in the Enduro at the moment is the stock alu post that came with the bike.

I really like having an uppy-downy droppy post (I think that’s the correct technical term! and so I shall be buying another.

Put simply – Which is the very bestest out there?

(Edit – Remote preferred)

footflaps

I’ve tried two:

Gravity dropper – utter rubbish, was always in pieces being fixed.

Joplin – so far so good, got three of them in our household and all doing ok, although if you don’t use a rear mud guard they get a bit sticky if you get a lot of mud on them – gT85 seems to free them up again.

fatface34
    Free Member

I use a Joplin which is getting on now and still works fab, The newer version is a little more harder wearing amd so I see as better value.

The setup on my Joplin does not include the remote lever, which to me is not a requirement.

The Rockshock posts look pretty good but I dont know much about them.

footflaps

With the Joplin, I have the under saddle lever, whereas the GF has the handlebar remote and the remote seems a lot more fussy whereas the under saddle lever just works every time and never needs adjusting.

mildred

I’ve had maverick speedball, 2 Joplins, 2 gravity droppers & a reverb.

The reverb was far and away the best. I never had to touch it other than a quick bleed after shortening the hose.

The speedball was actually very reliable and never went wrong, so I bought the Joplin on strength of that. The Joplin went back for loud creaking, was replaced under warranty, went back again for same problem, and CRC then lost it. I got a refund and bought the gravity dropper. Reliable if regularly cleaned/serviced, but agricultural (lots of spring noise which sounded horrible).

The reverb was fit & forget. No issues whatsoever.

foureyes
    Free Member

loving my reverb, not had a moments trouble with it (apart from over tightening my QR) not tried any others but if you can get a stealth hose exit version for your bike then i reckon you couldn’t go far wrong at the moment 🙂

nedrapier

Any Rockshox insiders on who can tell us if/when they’ll be releasing a 27.2 Reverb?

br
    Free Member

And is there any other than a GD for a 27.2 – and if not, anyone managed to get hold of an I-Beam GD?

turbo1397
    Free Member

Spesh command blacklite.. 🙂

smogmonster

Ive got a KS900, which apart from being rather fiddly to get setup correctly, has never let me down yet (famous last words).

noteeth
    Free Member

footflaps

I had one of those Hite Rite springs on my Hoo Koo E Koo back in 1988!

noteeth
    Free Member

I had one of those

Thus enabling you to descend with conviction. 😀

I am usually undecided, tbh.

Jeffus
    Free Member

My KS from 2010 is still going strong as said fiddly to set up but fine once done, my 2011 Reverb is much nicer to use and now its been updated with new 2012 internals has been trouble free for 6 months now, to be air it had one hiccup LBS sent it back on a Tueday back on the Friday great service.

Matt_SS_xc

My gravity dropper turbo has now been faultless for 2 mucky horrible years of riding. I dont touch it, once I greased the inside but its best left well alone. Friend of mine follows same policy and his GD has been good for 3 years now. Yes its a bit crude, and definately ugly but works.

Saying that g/f has just put a reverb on hers and i must say it looks and feels amazing, only done one ride so no comments on long term but seems very nice compared with all others ive seen / tried on friends bikes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Had a joplin and a GD – still got the later

Joplin nice but needed servicing and attention

GD Fugly but maintenance free* in the main – Its a spring with some holes in a post WTF are people having to service- ther eis almost nothing there? Had a cable interface issue once on a ride but that is all in 3 ish years of ownership though I do need some ne guides as it has a touch of play these days.

I did once take it apart and grease the spring but it was not really needed but i thought I would

not the prettiest but still AFAIK the only 27.2 one so it wins for adaptability.

Multiple positions is nice on the hydraulic type but you dont use it that often but I would have it if GD offered it but I can live without it.

* TBH neither is that much hassle but think shimano cup and cone for the Joplin and hope sealed for the GD in maintenance terms if not looks .

I can lend you a GD if you want to try one – its not for sale but if you want to know what they are like.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, Junky, appreciated!

Is the GD one binary? As in, either up or down? I rather like the multiple/adjustable position, as that’s what I’ve got used to.

Reverb is sounding positive from most people here, I think….

chiefgrooveguru

Gravity Droppers may not be the most elegant but for most they just work. All the way up, all the way down, or 1″ down, on the multidrop versions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the best have 3 positions up , drop 1 inch , drop 4 inch though you can just get a fully up and fully down it is not pick your own height like a hydraulic one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

it is not pick your own height like a hydraulic one.

Ta.

Mugboo

I own a battered 2nd hand GD & a nearly new Reverb.

The Reverb has been back already for a new shaft and air assembly. The GD just works.

But there is a whole world of difference in the way they work. The Reverb is sheer class compared with the GD. I can forgive it a hiccup because it is such a pleasure to use 🙂

I’ll use the GD over winter though.

By the way, mine was from Germany, £185.00 and the warranty work was no issue.

Mugboo

And for those retro freaks, two HiteRites have just appeared in my saved searches on eBay under Gravity Dropper! Think I’ll stick with the real thing 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Are there no fans of the Giant Contact Switch or the DSP bighorn?

kimbers

i got the ibeam mod for my gd from the states, post itself was s/h been faultless so far (1yr on)

tops5
    Free Member

Just got a Joplin today – not tried it anger yet

The remote is not as elegant as the one on my KS i900 but seems much more efficient (more leverage) thinking of sticking a joplin remote on the KS – any thoughts?

juan
    Free Member

GD my dear CFH GD. You might loose the so necessary “infinite height adjust”, but you gain in reliability.
    I have one and I am well chuffed. Doing without one for ages makes me use very little the 2.5 cm height drop, but I still like it nontheless.
    From what I am seen on the TV and TP, RS do fail and when they do it’s horrible, there is nothing you can do. My GD has been faultless and to be honest there is so little stuff inside that nothing can really go wrong. You just have to make sure you put it the right way round.

juan
    Free Member

GD my dear CFH GD. You might loose the so necessary “infinite height adjust”, but you gain in reliability.
    I have one and I am well chuffed. Doing without one for ages makes me use very little the 2.5 cm height drop, but I still like it nontheless.
    From what I am seen on the TV and TP, RS do fail and when they do it’s horrible, there is nothing you can do. My GD has been faultless and to be honest there is so little stuff inside that nothing can really go wrong. You just have to make sure you put it the right way round.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I was a fan of my Bighorn… Still don’t know why it was recalled.

The Reverb is bettererererer.

nwgiles

Reverb all the way

jimmy748

My reverb has been fault less

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I have the Reverb and like it a lot. No trouble so far in 12months use.

Hibike.de seem the cheapest, about £190

vegasdave
    Free Member

All the manufacturers must be pinching themselves that they sell so many in the UK….

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Loving my Reverb, was out on the HT last night without a dropper and felt awkward not being able to drop it at the flick of a switch.

Blurboy
    Free Member

Got a KS900i, that broke in less than a year and got rebuilt under warranty No issues since. I service rarely but after washing the bike I unscrew the cap and dribble some heavy oil in. seems to work and I have had no problems for the past year +. I also had a Joplin 3 which died and I part exchanged for a Joplin 4, mainly for the low pex price and 2 year warranty. It has just died after less than a year and now, returned from repair, I was advised that it still has a design fault, upper seal where the activator lever sits is weak, and that I was lucky it lasted as long as it did. Joplin service was brilliant and when the 4 dies again I might pex for a new Kronolog depending on its reputation at the time.Good to see the reverb getting good press – any news on the Fox Doss???

mintimperial

I’ve got a Rock Shox Reverb and an X-Fusion HiLo. The Reverb has worked perfectly for over a year with no more than fairly regular cleaning. The HiLo has been fine for eight months, but it needed a new cable and a bit of faffing with pressures before it really started working well. Both of them have taken a few big hits and lots and lots of Peak District mud.

I also had one of those Hite Rite things back in, ooh, 1992. They were crap.

Northwind

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Is the GD one binary? As in, either up or down? I rather like the multiple/adjustable position, as that’s what I’ve got used to.

You can buy the multi-drop shaft with preset heights. Also you can add positions, if you own a drill 🙂 But IME the extra hole adds a weakspot, I’ve stuck with single position for the reliability and simplicity. Mine has been serviced once since I bought it (already well used), turned out it didn’t need it though. More reliable than a standard seatpost 😉

My KS i900 has been very good too- not quite as troublefree, but close to. Had to be returned twice on warranty before it worked at all mind but snce then I really can’t fault it at all.

GavinB

I’ve got a GD on my FS, although have swapped it around for a 3 years. Never serviced it, other than a quick lube of the cable now and again. I ride in the NW of England, so pretty abrasive.

I find it repugnant to look at, compared to a Reverb, but if someone can explain sending something back under 12 months of use, and thinking that the product is still fantastic, then I’d be interested to know how you would define a poor product.

I get the fact that the hydraulic ones are smoother, and less agricultural, but if you risk having to send it back for warranty repair, or worse, £££ repair, then that surely must drop it into the ‘must try better’ category?

juan
    Free Member

get the fact that the hydraulic ones are smoother, and less agricultural

And useless the day you rip the hose apart.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

And useless the day you rip the hose apart.

you could say the same for brakes,

but in reality how often does it happen?

composite
    Free Member

+1 Gravity Dropper, what’s to go wrong?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Uppy-downy droppy posts – The definitive bestest one?’ is closed to new replies.