Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • upping power on a usb port?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Can you tell a usb hub to allow a bit of hardware to draw more power? If, so how?

Would be nice if I could, otherwise, I’ll need to buy a powered hub, which I don’t want to do.

wwaswas

double cable?

http://www.netstoredirect.com/startech-com-usb-cables/6346-startech-com-usb2habmy1-usb-cable-0065030840637.html

[edit] you can get them with a ‘female’ end on them, that’s just an example.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’ll draw whatever it can up to the maximum rating of the port. No way to change that. Ideally you need a powered hub but a piggy back lead or pair a couple of ports together with a twin lead might do it. What is it powering?

spooky_b329

From memory, if you short the data pins on the cable/USB port, the device I.e phone thinks it’s attached to a high output charger such as a mains or decent 12v source.

However, do this on a laptop or cheap charger and it may cause the port to go pop!

seosamh77
    Free Member

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-increase-output-watt-of-a-USB-port-in-a-laptop-Are-there-any-devices-that-can-increase-the-USB-output-power-a-little

Yes was just reading about it, seems even if you did it it’d short the fuse or something.

mentioned the double cable there too. good shout wwaswas.

So I think I’ll try that, good stuff cheers! 🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

im wrong, ignore me

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure that’s true, is it? My laptop has two high power ports. Are you saying they break the spec?

EDIT ah you old ninja you 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

dual cable worked a treat!

Fyi, was for my audio interface focusrite 2i4. laptop ports obviously couldn’t supply enough juice. Hence, while it’s been useable, it’s been unstable. Perfect now! 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Dual cables are often used on non-mains portable USB drives to allow some extra juice from a second port.

A more intelligent device like a phone may reduce the pull to 500mA max though if it sees it as a data connection and there’s no negotiation for a higher rate. Hence the trick of shorting the data connection when you don’t need data and it will try to draw the max the port will allow. Various dongles you can get to do the job. Some non-data powered sockets even may need this, as I’ve found. Got a mains one with up to 2A sockets but phone wouldn’t draw more than 500mA without a dongle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘upping power on a usb port?’ is closed to new replies.