Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Upgrading Mobile Handset on Pay Monthly while still in contract
  • Jase
    Free Member

Girlfriend has 13 months left on her pay monthly contract but really doesn’t like the handset.

Anyone know if we can simply purchase a pay as you go handset on the same network and pop the pay monthly SIM in it?

Many thanks

joemarshall
    Free Member

Yes, should do, as long as it is the same network.

Legally you probably aren't allowed to ebay the old handset until the contract ends, but if you did, you might make back a fair bit of money if it is anything nice – even a 2 year old old Nokia N95 will go for £80 or more.

Joe

Spongebob
    Free Member

I've bought three handsets on pay as you go, but never used them with the airtime provider to which they are supposed to be used.

None were locked to that airtime provider, none had any logos appear on start up, or any taylored profiles for that provider.

In essence they were all manufacturer's default set units, to work with any compatible SIM.

mr_krabs
    Free Member

I think if you buy from the carphone warehouse all their handsets are unlocked. if you buy a PAYG handset on the same network there is no problem at all. I don't think the networks give a monkey's so long as you pay the monthly contract.

Jase
    Free Member

Cheers.

Looks like should get between £40 & £65 on ebay for existing handset and should be able to get a new Sony Ericsson for a similar amount which is good.

joemarshall
    Free Member

None were locked to that airtime provider, none had any logos appear on start up, or any taylored profiles for that provider.

Be careful about this though, you can't assume it – I have 4 PAYG handsets here, of varying ages, and they were all locked to a particular network.

Joe

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading Mobile Handset on Pay Monthly while still in contract’ is closed to new replies.