Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Upgrading Garmin Edge 305 to 810. A few questions if you have an 810
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

In the past I have worked out a route and downloaded it to the edge 305. I have viewranger on my phone as a backup in case I need to consult other trail options mid ride.

Reason for the upgrade is that I want to be able to have a single device as I find the GPS in the Samsung S2 takes an age to lock on and give my position. The screen is also awful in the sun and the glare maps it very difficult to read the display.

So my main questions are

1. Does the 810 screen also suffers with the same glare issue as a smart phone. The edge 305 is lcd so is viewable in the brightest of sun?

2. Can the device be charged whilst it is in use?

Thanks

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have an 810 and use it all the time.

The screen doesn’t really suffer with glare no. You do have the option of turning the brightness up/down to suit your tastes, I have mine on 3bars, there are 8 I think, so pretty low screen brightness then. I have bumped it up to max once or twice but that’s really only once or twice. I guess it’s how good your eyes are.
    I’ve had a great deal of success with mine, it’s been a god send for my riding.
    It’s a well designed piece of kit, the maps (OSM) are easy to read, create and load routes onto/create on then follow. Not too sure what your maps are like but the OSM is more like a car sat nav. On road it’s ace, off road its been ace too. Battery life has been great, never charged whilst using it on the bike if that’s what you mean, you can’t use it if it’s being charged by your laptop and I’ve never tried whilst it’s been on charge via the charger, sorry.

HTH

flanagaj
    Free Member

I have an 810 and use it all the time.

The screen doesn’t really suffer with glare no. You do have the option of turning the brightness up/down to suit your tastes, I have mine on 3bars, there are 8 I think, so pretty low screen brightness then. I have bumped it up to max once or twice but that’s really only once or twice. I guess it’s how good your eyes are.
    I’ve had a great deal of success with mine, it’s been a god send for my riding.
    It’s a well designed piece of kit, the maps (OSM) are easy to read, create and load routes onto/create on then follow. Not too sure what your maps are like but the OSM is more like a car sat nav. On road it’s ace, off road its been ace too. Battery life has been great, never charged whilst using it on the bike if that’s what you mean, you can’t use it if it’s being charged by your laptop and I’ve never tried whilst it’s been on charge via the charger, sorry.

HTH Thanks for that. The edge 305 does not have mapping. You just follow an arrow or a line.

The other key question I forgot to ask is whether you can scroll the map around so you can look at areas that are not currently displayed on the screen?

I use this facility when I go bike packing as it enables you to search for the nearest pub or campsite

kristoff
    Free Member

I have an 810 with the Ordnance survey maps installed, you can scroll around and zoom in/out.

Cracking bit of kit wouldn’t be without one now I’ve got it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes you can very easily. All you do is press a little “hand” that’s displayed at the top of the screen and it then goes into scroll mode. You can drag the map around, max, min where ever you want to explore. You then simply hit it again and it reverts back to the main screen with the main map area on.
    Hard to explain that, but simply yes, one mode allows free scrolling by dragging the map across the screen, and also a +/- for zoom in/out.

There are various “lines” you can follow once a route has been created, I use dark magenta as its the darkest colour and it shows up better when I’m following a route, whether over a trail or by road. The unit has various “find” modes, places of interest and all that but I’ve never used that. Also you can create a route on the unit or via a laptop then load it too it, which is way better. I use Garmin Connect and OSM for all my edits/creation etc. and found it very easy to use.

Go onto YouTube and search dcrainmaker as he’s got some vids and user vids on the 810 which I found very useful. Also don’t forget Garmins forum..

Dibbs
    Free Member

You can charge the 810 while riding, but you need the correct USB cable (not all cables are the same) otherwise it’ll go into PC mode.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Cheers Fellas!

Now where is that credit card

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading Garmin Edge 305 to 810. A few questions if you have an 810’ is closed to new replies.