Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • "upgrading" from XT cranks for SS – Worth it .. ?
  • noltae
    Free Member

Can’t say I have a single issue with my 2013 XT cranks but owing to the bad habit of wanting nice bike parts I’ve been flirting with the idea of a new crankset – what if any tangible benefits with a more expensive crank offer? Or am I going to be buying into an object of desire if I pull the trigger ?

FuzzyWuzzy

I think you already know the answer but when has logic ever played a role in bike part purchasing decisions?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

better and more frequent sexual episodes.

bigblackshed

If you upgrade to a stiffer (oooh errrr missus) crank it will weigh more. XT will be fine unless you have “Thighs Like Hoy”.

I realise this is not what you want to hear, so go ahead, buy something expensive. 😉

sandwicheater

You MUST get something new and shiny, MUST.

Oh, i’m in the need of some XT cranks if you find yourself with a set you no longer need for some reason or another.

cookeaa

For a single speed you say?

If it’s all about durable, low maintenance bling then surely sir will be wanting a square taper Royce BB with some middleburn cranks and a direct mount chainring?

In fact how have you survived without them for so long?

fingerbike
    Free Member

I’ll second cookeaa, your life is pretty empty at the moment.

How much do you want for the XT cranks. 😉

Prophet2
    Free Member

I’ll go against the trend and say the only part of my singlespeed drive train that hasn’t needed replaced over the last three years are the SLX cranks. They are proving very reliable, and that was after previously been used for two years as part of a 3×9 set-up.

rickon
    Free Member

The benefits of upgrading crankset of weight or looks.

Carbon will save you about 200g, XTR is about 100g I think.

Depends if that’s worth it to you or not.

RobHilton
    Free Member

the only part of my singlespeed drive train that hasn’t needed replaced over the last three years are the SLX cranks

Because every other bit of the drive train is a wearing part?

mattbee

Absolutely no reason to change from the XT, they will work fine and you are unlikely to notice any difference in performance.
    That’s exactly what I said to myself last year before buying a set of Raceface Next SL. I was right, sod all noticeable difference. They do however look really pimp, feel much lighter in the hand (not that noticeable on the bike tbh) and I’m sure even more women swoon as I ride by now…
    I’d upgrade just for the nice warm feeling it gives you when you’ve spent money you didn’t need to on something that you probably shouldn’t be buying.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Middleburn Uno will make you significantly more attractive to members of the opposite sex, or indeed same sex if that’s what floats your particular boat. FACT.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘"upgrading" from XT cranks for SS – Worth it .. ?’ is closed to new replies.