Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • upgrading forks to lock out
  • hainman
    Free Member

just wondering if anyone has upgraded there forks from non lock out to lock out,i have a good set of tora 289’s but only have preload and i’d like the option of lock out when doing steep climbs but not sure if it would work with upgrading kit,i think this is what i need but not 100%
    http://www.bikeman.com/FK7240.html

rp16v
    Free Member

yes u can just straight swap the right side top cap for a lockout system as i did on my recon solo’s works spot on,if u want a cheeper setup then just look for a turnkey set insted of poplock

hainman
    Free Member

thats spot on mate cheers,is it the turnkey you done???

ampthill

rp16v

do you use the poploc for reducing bob. Or do you use it to control brake dive etc. as well…..

rp16v
    Free Member

yes its the turnkey iv done
    just use it now and then on the long fire road climbs to stop bobing around

hainman
    Free Member

rp16v any chance you can point me in the right direction as to what kit i need for the upgrade.all i can find is the poploc kit which isnt what i want,just the basic lockout for as you say climbing fireroads and big **** hills.cheers

rob-jackson
    Free Member

motion control damping is FAR superior to turnkey

hainman
    Free Member

cruzheckler is the link at the top on my op what i need then mate??i spoke to some guy at an lbs yesterday and they didnt think my fork was upgradable,dont want to buy something and it wont work and im out of pocket.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes i think so

andyl
    Free Member

not sure I would spend money to upgrade to lockout only. Spend to upgrade for a better fork that also comes with lockout – yes.

ie lighter, better damping, lock out etc.

Only time I use it is on fire roads, road, smooth climbs – but as they are not the main reasons I ride my bike it is not the most important part of my riding.

I have a poploc (remote lock out) which makes using the lock out easier so maybe I don’t think about it and just use it compared to having to make the effort to reach down and flick the top of the fork but tbh 90% of the time you use the lock out reaching down is not any hassle. Being able to release it quickly from the handlebars when you are airborne and remember its still locked out is handy though 😀

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the cartridge provides better damping AND lockout tho

rp16v
    Free Member

i dont THINK toras ever came with motion control from factory but they did come with lockouts so we no atleast that cane be done,might be worth giving fishers a ring and finding out the part code and serching on ebay ect see whats about.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

its just a damper swap – not some black art

hainman
    Free Member

I’m going to give fishers a call in the morning.getting mixed answers as some say Yeh and some say neh.only because I don’t have anything on my right forks,only the nut head so see where I lie tomorrow.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘upgrading forks to lock out’ is closed to new replies.